Author Topic: New ideas and plans...  (Read 3766 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 135
  • -Receive: 113
New ideas and plans...
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:16:13 AM »
More planning application documents for Northstowe are available.

Page 38 of https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/www.scambs.gov.uk/files/documents/Framework%20Travel%20Plan_Part_1.pdf describes the potential bus links they envisage:

- a guided service from Northstowe to the railway station every 20 mins
- extending the Citi 5 every 20 mins (starting with a shuttle from Bar Hill to Longstanton P&R)
- extending the City 6 to Oakington CGB

Thoughts?

While I see the theory behind an interchange between the C6 and CGB I'm not sure I can imagine it in practice so well. 

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 85
  • -Receive: 379
Re: Northstowe public transport plans
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:42:56 PM »
More planning application documents for Northstowe are available.

Page 38 of https://www.scambs.gov.uk/sites/www.scambs.gov.uk/files/documents/Framework%20Travel%20Plan_Part_1.pdf describes the potential bus links they envisage:

- a guided service from Northstowe to the railway station every 20 mins
- extending the Citi 5 every 20 mins (starting with a shuttle from Bar Hill to Longstanton P&R)
- extending the City 6 to Oakington CGB

Thoughts?

While I see the theory behind an interchange between the C6 and CGB I'm not sure I can imagine it in practice so well. 
Overall, I can see their point of view, with ideas on potential services..........It'd save ALL those cars going from Northstowe to Bar Hill Tescos !! Knowing previous developments like this, any shops etc are the last thing to get built ??

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 527
    • ScotBus
New ideas and plans...
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »
... found via Twitter, can only assume there is more to it than that.
See attached or http://scambs.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s78614/Infrastructure%20Schemes%20App%20C.pdf
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
Re: New ideas and plans...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »
I think this is all to do with Cambridge City Deal. @RTaylorUK has tweeted some other links as well today.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1174
  • -Receive: 182
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:08:32 AM »
I think this is all to do with Cambridge City Deal. [...]

Indeed.

That's the deal, under which central government puts small amounts of money into the area in several tranches for several years*, and allows the local consortium of councils to spend their own money locally instead of it being half-inched by Whitehall. Two important conditions of the deal are that the chancellor of the exchequer, pro tem, shall parade around each 'city deal' area masquerading as an ersatz Santa Claus touting the headline £-billion figure, whilst avoiding awkward questions about the 15-year timescale of the deal; and that said 'city deal' shall be regularly re-announced, as if new, whenever another tranch of money is released and/or there is an important election pending.

Here's a link to the Cambridge City Council's press release: Billion pound signing for innovative City Deal

Quote from: City Deal press release
The [...] deal [...] follows intensive negotiation by Cambridge City Council, South Cambridgeshire District Council, Cambridgeshire County Council, The University of Cambridge and the Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Enterprise Partnership.

The Deal aims to secure hundreds of millions of pounds of additional funding for investment in transport infrastructure to support high quality economic and housing growth over the coming decades.

Quote from: City Deal press release detailing the *small amounts of central government money in several tranches for several years
The first £100m of funding will be made available in the five years from April 2015. Transport improvements as a result of the Deal will start to be seen within the first year of this period.

As long as certain conditions are met, a further £200m will be available from April 2020 onwards and a final £200m from April 2025 onwards.

The £500m of Government money will supplement similar levels of funding from local sources so that around a £billion in total will be spent on supporting the delivery of vital infrastructure necessary to provide good quality and sustainable growth for the area for decades to come.

Of note in the quote, above, is that "Transport improvements as a result of the Deal will start to be seen within the first year of this period."

Two other press releases which may be of interest to Forum members are: City Deal transport priorities to be discussed and City Deal Shadow Board holds first public meeting.

Edit: I've just realised that there was an earlier topic on more-or-less the same issue so I've merged them. (See up t'top of t'thread.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:22:00 AM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 03:56:26 PM »
The cynic in me observes that all three tranches of cash happen in the run up to General Elections; and that there's nothing to stop the new government in 2015 (of any colour) tearing up the deal.

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 04:01:00 PM »
One quick thought comes to mind looking at this document.  Table 2.7 gives a lie to the sometime repeated statement that the majority of passengers on the Busway are concessionary pass holders.  In fact, the table suggests that they form about 22% of the total users.  Of course, not all concessionary passholders are retired old age pensioners, some will be travelling to and from work.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:15:49 PM »
The cynic in me observes that all three tranches of cash happen in the run up to General Elections; and that there's nothing to stop the new government in 2015 (of any colour) tearing up the deal.

Cynics you and me both!

(Such cynicism in two so young as us. Tut-tut!)
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 05:17:46 PM »
One quick thought comes to mind looking at this document.  Table 2.7 gives a lie to the sometime repeated statement that the majority of passengers on the Busway are concessionary pass holders.  In fact, the table suggests that they form about 22% of the total users.  Of course, not all concessionary passholders are retired old age pensioners, some will be travelling to and from work.

Good point!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:38:46 AM »
The Cambridge News has now done a couple of copy'n'paste jobs from the press releases:

Cambridge set for new park and ride site on A428 in first wave of City Deal and Top 10 projects for £100 million investment in Cambridge