Author Topic: More new Vehicles for Stagecoach in Cambridge  (Read 7940 times)

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 28
More new Vehicles for Stagecoach in Cambridge
« on: September 23, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
Press Release: -

STAGECOACH ORDERS NEW VEHICLES FOR CAMBRIDGE OPERATIONS

22 Sep 2014

• 18 new coaches to be introduced on X5 service later this year
• A further six Scania buses ordered for Cambridgeshire Guided Busway
• New vehicles represent investment of more than £6.5million

Stagecoach Group today (22 September 2014) announced that it is investing more than £6.5million in a fleet of new buses and coaches for its Cambridge operations.

A total of 18 new Plaxton Elite coaches will go into service on the popular X5 service which operates between Cambridge and Oxford. The vehicles are expected to go into service by the end of this year, delivering even greater comfort, along with free Wi-Fi and toilets, for the hundreds of customers who rely on the service every day.

Stagecoach has ordered a further six Scania/ADL Enviro 400 buses to go into service on the Cambridgeshire Guided Busway which connects Cambridge, Huntingdon and St Ives. These new vehicles have Euro 5 engines, are fully accessible and have free Wi-Fi, power sockets and air chill. These additional facilities are extremely popular with our existing busway customers.

The new X5 coaches have Euro 6 engines, making them among the cleanest and greenest coaches in Europe. They can each seat 57 passengers or 55 passengers when the wheelchair space is required.

The X5 route operates dozens of services a day between Cambridge and Oxford calling at St Neots, Bedford and Milton Keynes among other stops.

Managing Director of Stagecoach East, Andy Campbell said: “This is great news for our customers. The X5 service is used by around 1.3 million passengers a year and provides a vital public transport link between Oxford and Cambridge. We are delighted to be launching these new vehicles later in the year.

“The Busway has proved to be a great success and we’re pleased to be delivering more new buses for the customers who rely on those services every day.

“Delivering high-quality, good value travel is what we do best and we look forward to attracting even more people on to our greener, smarter services in the months and years to come.”

Both sets of new vehicles are expected to go into service by the end of 2014.

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
Re: More new Vehicles for Stagecoach in Cambridge
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 04:16:14 PM »
Just to add, The seating capacity for the new coaches is given as 57(55 with a wheelchair), so I presume these coaches, described as 'Elites' are Single deck and not the Double/Half deck version.

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 130
  • -Receive: 99
    • My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
Just to add, The seating capacity for the new coaches is given as 57(55 with a wheelchair), so I presume these coaches, described as 'Elites' are Single deck and not the Double/Half deck version.

Capacity for a 14 metre Elite with toilet is given as 57, so these will be on Volvo's Tri-Axle B11R chassis instead of the two axle 12.6 metre B9R chassis the Panthers have underneath. That extra 1.4 metres is going to be a bit tight at the stops for Bicester and Buckingham - the current coaches only appear to scrape through by a matter of inches.

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 350
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
I wonder if we might see some route changes when they enter service

Offline benwesley123

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
    • Norfolk Green Bus Page
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
I'm just interested where the old (current) X5 coaches will be moved to....
Ben Wesley

Founder and Co-Blogger of The Norfolk Green Bus Page

Please check me out on Flickr for my photo collection: (bexxy321)

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:07:18 PM »
I suspect they Willl be spread around Stagecoach companies to replace non-DDA coaches.

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:41:19 PM »
re cascading the current coaches
Anyone know if they are owned or Leased?

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 87
  • -Receive: 396
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
Originally, they were looking at the Elite I (double deck) which can carry up to 75 passengers, but I believe they were concerned about the railway bridges in the Bicester Area (one near the Rail Stn & the disused one 5 or 6 miles north at Newton Purcell.) Therefore, I think your presumption is correct.
I am told that the first chassis have arrived at Plaxtons and initial production of the batch is imminent.

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • My Flickr
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:19 PM »
re cascading the current coaches
Anyone know if they are owned or Leased?

Would be very surprised if they are leased. I imagine after the new coaches enter service the B9's will get cascaded to Scotland,  to replace yet more B10M's and maybe even some of the non-DDA compliant B7R's? Most of them are still in pretty good condition internally and seem alright mechanically, although most seem to be severely "battle-scarred" with quite a few dented and scraped panels!

Only time will tell!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:54:34 PM by ONLXB »

Offline al_557

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:33 PM »
hopefully some will stay for the 99

stagecoach106

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:40 AM »
Or maybe they might keep some for the vt99. Or whatever it is now

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • My Flickr
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
Not sure they would be too practical for the 99 unless they're upseated? Not much need for a toilet on that route....

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »
Interesting!  Does that mean more services on the CGB?  It's too early for them to be ordering buses to serve the new railway station?

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 05:04:32 PM »
Not sure they would be too practical for the 99 unless they're upseated? Not much need for a toilet on that route....

True...but the b7's are tosh and slow....and that route needs an upgrade, may get more passengers with some upgrading. Not saying that the b10s arnt good! Just old sadly.

Or maybe they could be fitted with guide wheels or even appear on citi routes?

Offline rm clippie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
where will the new x5 coaches based Bedford or fenstanton ?.

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 06:55:13 PM »
I believe that the work will remain at Bedford, hence the 14 metre rather than 15 metre vehicles

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 08:08:22 PM »
where will the new x5 coaches based Bedford or fenstanton ?.
Fenstanton ????? Blimey two of them would fill the place up !! They've barely got enough space for what they've got now !!

Offline Leyland L60

• Thank You
  • -Given: 249
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 11:19:41 PM »
      Habbinman  -  where on earth did this stuff about ''concerned about the railway bridges at Bicester (North) and Newton Purcell'' come from?  Stagecoach run double-deckers under both those bridges, yes ADL E400s on the X5 when they're short of B9s, and a Plaxton Elite i (Interdeck) at 3.96m high is a lot less than an E400. Whoever told you this is just guessing, and we can well do without it. Let's just wait and see, shall we?

Offline northantsbusman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 03:41:58 AM »
You can get a decker under that bridge the trial decker fitted perfectly what was it R34XAC or something.

However the Elite I doesn't really suit stage carriage and the twirly brigade it only has three seats downstairs. It is more suited to the express market. I don't even like inter deckers they remove you the driver from the passengers. I hated screens too. But that is my opinion.

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • My Flickr
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 05:03:58 PM »
You can get a decker under that bridge the trial decker fitted perfectly what was it R34XAC or something.

However the Elite I doesn't really suit stage carriage and the twirly brigade it only has three seats downstairs. It is more suited to the express market. I don't even like inter deckers they remove you the driver from the passengers. I hated screens too. But that is my opinion.

You're thinking of R34TAC 16209.  Can't imagine there is much of an issue with their height thanks to bridges, probably more to do with length and internal layout. Its bad enough on the X5 currently with a few drivers that pull away before people sit down....would be fine in a normal service bus, but not a coach with nothing except seat backs to grab onto!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 09:14:18 PM »
      Habbinman  -  where on earth did this stuff about ''concerned about the railway bridges at Bicester (North) and Newton Purcell'' come from?  Stagecoach run double-deckers under both those bridges, yes ADL E400s on the X5 when they're short of B9s, and a Plaxton Elite i (Interdeck) at 3.96m high is a lot less than an E400. Whoever told you this is just guessing, and we can well do without it. Let's just wait and see, shall we?
Don't know who you are?, my friend, BUT that info came from an Official Stagecoach Head Office source !! AND, Yes I know the Megabus Interdecker went under both OK, Four times ( 1 journey each way on 2 separate dates). Other concerns were getting onto the Bus Stop at Buckingham, Bicester Bus Stn and Oxford Gloucester Green (when full of other vehicles ie all bays occupied)

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Don't know who you are?, my friend, BUT that info came from an Official Stagecoach Head Office source !! AND, Yes I know the Megabus Interdecker went under both OK, Four times ( 1 journey each way on 2 separate dates). Other concerns were getting onto the Bus Stop at Buckingham, Bicester Bus Stn and Oxford Gloucester Green (when full of other vehicles ie all bays occupied)

That roundabout in Bicester, is a little tight

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »
That roundabout in Bicester, is a little tight
True ! But, if like me, you "attack" it right (positioning & a bit of speed control), there's no problem. The biggest problem, as I said, is Oxford Gloucester Green Coach Stn, should it be full of coaches (stands & layover bays) - there's not a lot of spare room for turning & reversing. Although, its possible to get assistance from a Stand Controller. Most of the guys, and ladies driving the X5 are good competent drivers, so once they get type trained & used to the longer length, they should be OK. They'll be regularly assesssed for driving quality.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
Was on the X5 yesterday (first time in about 4 years I think!).  Driver masterfully parked in between a 15m London coach and an e400 with only 1 reverse.  Of course within 30 seconds of him finishing doing this everything in sight got up and left, leaving him in a coach station entirely empty bar one coach at the far end...

Does anyone know what plans Stagecoach has for the new guided buses?

Offline northantsbusman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
If you can get a Tube into Gloucester Green you should be able to get anything else in. How do the OBCs inter deckers fit, as well as the increasing amount of tri axles on National Express. These are professional drivers that drive these things.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 119
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
If you can get a Tube into Gloucester Green you should be able to get anything else in. How do the OBCs inter deckers fit, as well as the increasing amount of tri axles on National Express. These are professional drivers that drive these things.
It has got nothing to do with the competence of the drivers and everything to do with the congested & tight nature of the site, in fact it appears to need very high driving skills just to get these longer vehicles in & out of the site safely.  From what I remember when the Skyliners were introduced to the Tube they had to move the stands for the service to give room for the coaches to reverse out and I think the OBC services occupy the neighbouring stands that probably offer similar access advantages.  You assume that they have tested all this out so that they know they can get the longer vehicles in and out of the stands but it isn't going to make it easier for the drivers.