Author Topic: Virgin/East Coast rail replacement  (Read 1809 times)

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 483
Virgin/East Coast rail replacement
« on: March 01, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »
This weekend, and for the next few weekends I think, there are no trains between Peterborough Grantham Newark and Retford. Trains are being diverted along the Spalding line. A bus replacement service is in
operation for those wishing to travel to the above stations.

This afternoon, there were 9 Richmonds coaches, 5 Coopers of Killamarsh and 3 Johnsons of Hodthorpe all
waiting around either at the railway station or the Acland Street layover area.

Earlier today, and yesterday, Johnsons seemed to be dominant with York Pullman and Youngs also in evidence. 

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 130
  • -Receive: 97
    • My Flickr
Re: Virgin/East Coast rail replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2015, 04:02:39 PM »
Noticed at least one York Pullman coach out on the RRS yesterday too.

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 533
  • -Receive: 90
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:53:17 AM »
Yesterday,there were Johnsons and York Pullman mostly with a couple of Richmonds, Hamiltons of Kettering, Grayscroft and a single Youngs coach.

Next Saturday is the same but I don't expect any coaches to be in Peterborough on Sunday afternoon (there should be a few in the morning).

SteveS

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 05:00:02 PM »
Yesterday,there were Johnsons and York Pullman mostly with a couple of Richmonds, Hamiltons of Kettering, Grayscroft and a single Youngs coach.

Next Saturday is the same but I don't expect any coaches to be in Peterborough on Sunday afternoon (there should be a few in the morning).

SteveS

I had one trip to observe the RRs today (Sunday), and at midday there were a few Johnsons, and a couple of York Pullman. However, by the time I left about half an hour later Johnsons had increased their presence and I saw around 11, Coopers Tourmasters were just arriving and 3 had arrived by the time I had
left, plus 3 Richmonds had turned up. All these arrived empty. One of the Johnsons drivers told me he was on standby until 10.00pm.

Offline Steves

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 11:45:40 PM »
The afternoon standby duties today were requested during last week and followed the same pattern as last Sunday.  We don't know if this will be repeated for the remaining Sundays in March - there is rail replacement on all the Saturdays and Sunday mornings.

Most of the standbys were booked until 2200 although 5 at Peterborough finished at 20.30.

Offline dennisdart

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 02:43:49 PM »
Thanks for the info, but trains had started running again through Grantham etc, just after midday, so
why would all these coaches still need to be on standby?

Offline Steves

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
After Finsbury Park at Christmas, there is a concern that the railway was not prepared for the work to over run.  This seems a particular concern for the VTEC.  Hence all the standbys.  This must be very costly and as yesterday showed, when there is a problem, the vehicles were unable to help (It was a fairly short term problem with the signalling at Finsbury Park around 8pm which delayed trains by up to an hour.)