Author Topic: Galleon 'decker deroofed  (Read 2052 times)

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 74
  • -Receive: 30
    • My Flickr Page!
Galleon 'decker deroofed
« on: March 27, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
Galleon Travel's B7TL/President G11 GTL has been involved in a serious de-roofing incident in Staines, Surrey.

It was carrying 76 school pupils , with 11 of them injured, travelling from St John's School in Epping to Thorpe Park as an end-of-term treat. Luckily everyone survived!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-32088386

The de-roofing of double deckers is becoming far too common (or is it just the media reporting it more?). There have been quite a few recently, and I'm surprised the injuries from these incidents haven't been more serious!

Offline AndrewHA

• Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 24
Re: Galleon 'decker deroofed
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
I note from a BBC report that the bridge in question was near Staines  .

I am wondering , if years ago it was the same bridge that London Transport Country Area could only operate Low-Bridge RLH Buses under and NOT standard RTs .
Andrew HA.

Offline RT4531

• Thank You
  • -Given: 377
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »
That's the one - on the A320 Staines(now upon-Thames) to Chertsey road that the 436 using RLHs travelled along to Guildford, well before Thorpe Park was built.

The 436 was a nice trip to Guildford with a Green Rover.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:25:37 AM by RT4531 »

Offline AndrewHA

• Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 09:34:45 AM »
Thanks !

I thought it might ( must ) be !
Andrew HA.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 12:38:36 AM »
Thanks !

I thought it might ( must ) be !

The same bridge is the reason Sullivan Buses use high-capacity singles on the 950. When business dictates, there is a registration variation to allow the buses to go via an alternative route.

The de-roofing of double deckers is becoming far too common (or is it just the media reporting it more?). There have been quite a few recently, and I'm surprised the injuries from these incidents haven't been more serious!

More people with camera phones and cameras now, that can share information instantly. If I saw something weird in my day I'd have to get the film developed, then wait till Monday to get hold of the person...
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 119
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:12:15 AM »
More people with camera phones and cameras now, that can share information instantly. If I saw something weird in my day I'd have to get the film developed, then wait till Monday to get hold of the person...
Also I think the internet means it is easier to find out about things from local news than would otherwise be the case, these sort of incidents appear in the local paper(s) for the location of the incident (& if applicable the source of the passengers) but wouldn't get any wider dissemination so it wouldn't be widely known until maybe a report in buses a couple of months later as a cause of withdrawal.  With local news now being available via the internet we find out about all these incidents as soon as they happen wherever you are so it seems like there are more incidents being reported as we can find out about more of them across the country.