Author Topic: The most erratic bus service?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 30
    • My Flickr Page!
The most erratic bus service?
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
I was just researching all the routes in Hertfordshire, and I came across this timetable for route 212 on the Intalink website, operated by Dacorum C.V.S. which is one of those community bus operators.
The timetable interested me in being incredibly erratic! Its quite peculiar.

It operates on alternate Sundays in Hemel Hempstead between Gadebridge Park 'Park & Ride site' and Woodwells Cemetery via Breakspear Way 'Sports Ground', with just two return journeys. The timetable has been unchanged since 1996. The service is pre-booked and will also pick up/drop off in any point in Hemel Hempstead and Kings Langley. Heres the timetable as shown on the Intalink website: http://www.intalink.org.uk/Timetables/tt/212_B_ATG.PDF

Does anyone know why this service operates? and what the use of it actually is?

Website for the company, which is a charitable community organisation:
http://www.dacorumcvs.org.uk/groups/transport.htm

Obviously one of the reasons its different from most bus routes is the fact its run by a charity/community bus. Its great these companies exist as they are a lifeline to elderly and disabled people, but I can't really understand this particular route.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 152
  • -Receive: 143
Re: The most erratic bus service?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »
That is a strange one.  I can only imagine that it is to take people to tend graves, because I can't remember anything at all else near that cemetery. 

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
That is a strange one.  I can only imagine that it is to take people to tend graves, because I can't remember anything at all else near that cemetery. 
Having looked at the timetable and the area on Google Earth, I would say that reason is correct. I don't suppose there is any photographs of vehicles on the service?
East Londoner

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 30
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »
Yes I guess thats probably the reason.

And Dacorum C.V.S. operate other services as well, but can't find any pictures. I guess they must be very hard to photograph seeing as they operate infrequent services in very rural areas (well, Hemel Hempstead isn't very rural but the rest of the places DCVS serve are).

Offline David Goddard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 01:08:03 PM »
I would agree with that.  I had initially wondered if there was a chapel onsite which meets every two weeks but it does not appear that way.  Therefore just a grave visiting service, allowing just under an hour for people to pay their respects.