Author Topic: Lynx and Holdall Card  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 250
Lynx and Holdall Card
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »
Just wondering what the thoughts are on the new Holdall card that Lynx will be using along with Sanders and Simmonds, it is a Norfolk County Council initiative, from my understanding you load money onto the card and place it on top of the machine like you do the Stagecoach Smart card, you do get 5% off each journey that you use the card but I don't think it will be that cost effective unless I am missing something

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 228
  • -Receive: 447
Re: Lynx and Holdall Card
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:41:29 PM »
This page on the Norfolk County Council website entitled 'Using your holdall smartcard' gives some user information for passengers:

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/Travel_and_transport/Public_transport/Park_and_Ride/holdall_smartcard/How_to_use_your_holdall_smartcard/index.htm

I don't know anything about the financial workings of such cards from the bus operators point of view but perhaps the fare discount covers savings in administration costs. Some thoughts:

1) the operator would not have to count and handle as much cash (counting, bagging, taking to the bank)
2) the type of contract might be such that the council pays or guarantees the operator a fixed amount to operate a service and then takes all revenue
3) the type of contract might be that the operator retains the cash taken and the council pays the operator any shortfall
4) whilst concessionary fares are not part of a system such as this 'holdall' card, the council pays the operator a percentage of a fare for commercial services and it might be that from an admin point of view all this features in the electronic 'money pot'.

These are just suggestions, as I said, I don't have any practical knowledge on the way they actually do do it.

David
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:43:22 PM by Spoddendale »
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 669
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
If the take up improves, the use of these cards improves boarding time and therefore the timing of the service at busy periods.  Oyster is impressive for this.  The single fare on buses also helps significantly.  If you want to minimise boarding time and retain distance based fares,, you need to implement touch in, touch out on the buses.  I think Mango on Trent Barton operates that way.

c2c reckoned that the use of Oyster reduced ticketless travel but this would be less significant on the buses.  It would reduce the possibility of fraud.

There is evidence that people will spend more money if payment is easier.  Hence the introduction of contactless payment with Visa, and Mastercard.  No money is handed over and it just so easy.  Not much use in rural areas but you can see how it would have an effect in urban areas on a frequent service. 

Offline Kieran

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 35
    • Norwich Buses Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 01:59:57 PM »
I've heard some strong opinions of this in Norfolk. Is it really needed? So I am told, Holdall as been quite a flop on the Park and Ride in Norwich, which always seemed to me the only place it could possibly work other than on the high frequency 25 and 26 between the UEA and City Centre. But First have introduced the mTickets in Norwich, so boarding is really sped up by that.

London has hit the nail on the head with the Oyster - it's enforced. You HAVE to pay by Oyster or Contactless card on the bus. I doubt many people travelling between Hunstanton and King's Lynn will have a Holdall sQuid, so you may have - for example - one Holdall, four concession passes and six cash payers - so the Holdall sped up boarding by what, thirty seconds maybe?

Just seems a bit unnecessary for the operators who have opted in to use it.

On a side note, there is obviously a tie in with the iTicketer system to be able to use Holdall

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 669
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
You now do need to use Oyster but it reached more than 80% usage before that was introduced - helped by the discounted fares.  Up to that time, you could still buy tickets for cash although you had to use a machine in the central area.

I agree that that a card would be more widely used in urban areas particularly for people going to work.  Like Kieran, I would expect Park and Ride routes to have a better take up than most other routes - they are frequent and have a significant number of regular users. Perhaps 5% isn't enough.  Oyster discounts are variable but could be as high as 50%.

Oyster Card is really well known.  I did a customer service shift at Luton Airport in the summer and people were coming off the plane to buy Oyster Cards or hoping to use them for the journey to London by train (you can't currently).