Author Topic: Guided bus derails in Trumpington  (Read 4519 times)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Guided bus derails in Trumpington
« on: February 22, 2016, 07:16:24 PM »
Five injured as guided bus derails in Trumpington

No speculation as to the cause, please. Please use this thread to post links to further reports.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
Re: Guided bus derails in Trumpington
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:19:54 PM »
Argh!  This is beyond awful!

If there was one respect in which the busway had succeeded it was the impression it created.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 01:21:57 PM by barryb »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:16:21 PM »
‘Lovingly planted’ Trumpington Community Orchard calls for compensation after guided busway crash

Quote from: Cambridge News
Volunteers are calling for compensation after a much-loved community orchard was flattened during Monday's crash on the guided busway.

Monday's accident near Foster Road saw the bus plough into the Trumpington Community Orchard, which has been painstakingly established over a number of years.

Stagecoach and the county council visited the orchard yesterday, and have agreed a package of measures they hope will eventually get the orchard back to full health.

Full story
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 06:24:17 PM »
Trumpington guided bus crash: Stagecoach says busway is safe as driver probe gets under way

Quote from: By Chris Elliott, Cambridge News, February 26, 2016
The driver of the bus that crashed on Cambridge's guided busway is the subject of a disciplinary probe, Stagecoach has revealed.

And the firm's managing director has told the News exclusively the single-decker that mounted an embankment at Trumpington was not faulty – nor was the busway itself to blame.

Quote from: Andy Campbell, MD of Stagecoach in Cambridgeshire
We've checked out the vehicle, which in fact was quite new – we only took delivery of it last year – and have established that there were no faults that might have made it leave the track.

"We have also looked at the infrastructure of the busway itself and found there was no problem there that caused the incident.

"The incident itself did cause some damage to the busway there, however, and until that can be repaired, we have imposed a lower speed limit.

Full story

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 01:38:05 AM »
I have the feeling I'd like it if there was an HSE enquiry (as one story suggested there c/should be).  It would be nice to know the outcome came from an independent source.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
Latest from the Cambridge News: Stagecoach sacks driver following Cambridge guided busway crash

I think we expected this outcome from the start. Thanks, all, for not speculating.

Meanwhile: Pensioners injured in Cambridge guided busway crash angry at Stagecoach's lack of apology

This is a bit of a cheeky story, as Stagecoach (quite properly) weren't handed details of passengers' names and addresses by the police.

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »
Presumably though Stagecoach could have asked the passengers for their details and it would have been their choice if they supplied them or not.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 09:08:53 AM »
Pensioners injured in Cambridge guided busway crash angry at Stagecoach's lack of apology

This is a bit of a cheeky story, as Stagecoach (quite properly) weren't handed details of passengers' names and addresses by the police.

Presumably though Stagecoach could have asked the passengers for their details and it would have been their choice if they supplied them or not.

Perhaps. Although, as the onlyStagecoach representative present at the time would've been the (now ex-) driver...

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 04:47:37 PM »
However it would appear that public relations is not a strong point at Cambridge.
A "spokesman" did say that passenger safety is their priority but it would have been received better coming from the "boss".

Maybe, John.

However, I imagine that the CN reporter was on the phone to Cowley Road within minutes of a tip-off of the accident (possibly from a passenger, or a passing cyclist).

Stagecoach East at least had a 'spokesman' with a statement. They'll have gone straight to web publication with a segment of that and published the fuller statement as a filler on the later stories.

MD Andy Campbell may have been anywhere at the time of the accident (other than driving this particular bus): Bedford, Peterborough, King's Lynn...

You'll see he was interviewed after visiting the community orchard and was quoted on that specific subject. I imagine that he said much more in the interview but CN cut it to fit the allocated word-count.

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 119
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:27:36 AM »
However it would appear that public relations is not a strong point at Cambridge.
A "spokesman" did say that passenger safety is their priority but it would have been received better coming from the "boss".
If it is anything like the papers we have dealt with they just phone up whatever public number they find expecting to get a statement immediately from whomever they get on the other end, or in one case simply not bothering because there is no number for the press to contact seperately.  Generally when an incident like this happens the first priority of the management is sorting the immediate problems and finding out what happened before they will make an official statement.  Modern papers with their websites aren't prepared to wait for a statement to be made before putting out the story, and as others have said we don't know where the senior managers actually were at the time (in my experience these sort of things always seem to happen when the senior managers/directors are elsewhere or actually unavailable on the day).

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 09:24:44 AM »

Offline AL

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 44
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »
BF65 WKZ (21310)
Thank You