Author Topic: Uni 4.........Loss of Contract.  (Read 14819 times)

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 443
Uni 4.........Loss of Contract.
« on: May 23, 2016, 09:49:28 PM »
I understand that Stagecoach have lost the Uni 4 service as from the last week of July. Apparently the University were dis-satisfied with the quality of service given & have cancelled the contract.

From   "University of Cambridge website....Environment & Energy..travel/catch-bus."

Uni4 service

The University is currently reviewing this service with the aim to provide a more frequent and reliable service, connecting the North West Cambridge Development and the train station from July 2016.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 10:02:08 PM by Habbinman »

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 250
Re: Uni 4.........Loss of Contract.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »
Who would be the likely companies to take over, suppose the only choice would be Stephensons that said some of their buses are second hand from Stagecoach

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 127
    • My Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 07:15:08 AM »
Rumours abound that Whippet are angling for the contract.
I believe there was also a vehicle age requirement in place in the current contract which surely limits who is going to apply.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 526
  • -Receive: 78
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 07:15:59 AM »
Whippet springs to mind as an obvious choice especially as their X3 already runs through the West Cambridge site.....

Offline al_557

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 166
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:10:21 PM »
Presumably the Enviro 200's currently used on the service will transfer to either Bedford or Peterborough to oust some darts

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »
The NEW operator, I'm told, has SEVEN NEW buses coming to put on the service, which requires SIX plus a spare !

Offline AL

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 44
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:07:44 PM »
Which company is going to be the new operator?
Thank You

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 160
  • -Receive: 177
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:50 PM »
Hmm.  I can imagine why the route might be unreliable... if they wanted it to be more reliable they could have considered Brooklands Avenue - Station - Busway - Addenbrooke's?

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 176
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
Presumably the Enviro 200's currently used on the service will transfer to either Bedford or Peterborough to oust some darts
Or to free up some MAN's for Bedford
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline grahamk48

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 07:10:06 AM »
Another new operation for Uno maybe??

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 07:46:03 PM »
Hmm.  I can imagine why the route might be unreliable... if they wanted it to be more reliable they could have considered Brooklands Avenue - Station - Busway - Addenbrooke's?
With the current roadworks in Hills Rd constructing the bike lane (and I won't go into what I think about that, what with how long its taking & how much its costing......a lot of people reckoning its a glorious waste of money for something which is only really used in the rush hour !!), all Hills Rd/Hospital services are experiencing delays !!!

Anyhow back to the Uni 4......well it has been suggested that the University would like to see it go via the Rail Station & then Busway to the Hospital...........So , as they say, Watch this Space...we'll find out in July !

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 08:49:09 PM »
Or to free up some MAN's for Bedford

oust the solo at ely, 1 for the 17.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 08:36:00 PM »
whippet have the contract apparently. and that is from someone at whippet
Nah !!!!! You're kidding us !!

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 02:52:53 PM »
Whippet (Tower Transit) have been awarded the new contract for the Uni 4 bus service in Cambridge!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 03:06:26 PM by AL »
Thank You

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 03:50:30 PM »
see http://www.go-whippet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Job-Advert-FINAL-2.pdf

An exciting job opportunity for a Route Performance Manager is now available following the award of a
high profile bus contract in Cambridge. You will be responsible for ensuring a safe,punctual and customer-
focused service by managing buses and drivers on the road

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 04:40:20 PM »
Blimey!

With no disrespect at all to Whippet, it's interesting that this type of situation could have arisen.  On paper Stagecoach's size and geographical location ought to have put them in a much stronger position.  It's also good to see this as Whippet's new found ability to be competitive against the might of Stagecoach is something that I assume could not have happened before the takeover.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »
Blimey!

With no disrespect at all to Whippet, it's interesting that this type of situation could have arisen.  On paper Stagecoach's size and geographical location ought to have put them in a much stronger position.  It's also good to see this as Whippet's new found ability to be competitive against the might of Stagecoach is something that I assume could not have happened before the takeover.
Apparently, Cambridge University found fault on several things regarding the service & decided to pull the plug on Stagecoach. Whippet have decided tohave  a dedicated rota & drivers, with a supervisor, that will only cover this service.

Offline alanv

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
There were in the past general discussions about future changes to this service to meet the needs of the University North West Cambridge housing development.
These changes I believe involves section 106 money, so the County Council will be involved

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 228
  • -Receive: 447
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »
Wow! A job with a company smart phone. Enough to really excite!!

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Apparently, Cambridge University found fault on several things regarding the service & decided to pull the plug on Stagecoach. Whippet have decided tohave  a dedicated rota & drivers, with a supervisor, that will only cover this service.

think the driver running over the ducks, really didnt help

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
There were in the past general discussions about future changes to this service to meet the needs of the University North West Cambridge housing development.
These changes I believe involves section 106 money, so the County Council will be involved
To my best knowledge, I think you'll find the North West Cambridge site (like the West Cambridge site) has been wholly funded by the University, as it is private property owned by the University, so I doubt any Section 106 money is involved. Therefore, as the estate roads are private roads not adopted by the Council, the County Council have not been or will not be involved in any discussion regarding the Uni 4's routeing.

Offline AndrewHA

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2016, 03:08:06 AM »
think the driver running over the ducks, really didnt help

That  was Quackers , in my opinion !
Andrew HA.

Offline alanv

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2016, 04:09:40 PM »
Discharge of Condition 38 - Bus Stop Strategy

In greater detail:

Location A
 – two stops would be provided within the bus-only section to the east of the Market Square pedestrianised zone (to be maintained
 by Cambridge City Council);

Location B
– two stops would be provided on the Development access road to the north of the Madingley Road junction, to the east of the
Madingley Road Park and Ride site.
This would enable Uni4 users not going from North West Cambridge to park their cars within the Park and Ride site still and use the Uni
4 service (to be maintained by Cambridge City Council);

Location C
- two stops would be provided on the Development access road to the south of the Huntingdon Road East junction (the southern
stop is to be maintained by Cambridge City Council, the northern stop by South
Cambridgeshire District Council);

Location D
 – to enable the eastern areas of the Development to access the existing services routing along Huntingdon Road, two stops would be provided on Huntingdon
Road, near the current private road access to Cambridge Research Laboratories. With this improved provision, an adjacent pair of existing bus stops (formed by signs) could be
reallocated due to the improved offer  (to be maintained by Cambridge City Council);

etc.
see http://www.nwcambridge.co.uk/files/sws_condition_38_bus_stop_strategy.pdf

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
Does anybody know which buses have been ordered by Whippet to be used on the new Uni 4 contract?
Thank You

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 127
    • My Flickr
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 11:17:24 PM »
I'd assume Enviro200s - either MMC or "Classic" flavour. Certainly anything longer would be a bit of a squeeze around certain parts of the current route....

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 11:32:09 PM »
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:37:02 PM by AL »
Thank You

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
I'd assume Enviro200s - either MMC or "Classic" flavour. Certainly anything longer would be a bit of a squeeze around certain parts of the current route....

the one day i had a alx300, that was a good challenge

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2016, 01:24:18 AM »
Interesting document! 

Initial phase – the Uni4 service would be extended to the developed area of North West
Cambridge via Madingley Road. The bus stop pairs at Location A (to the east of the Local
Centre) and Location B (to the east of Madingley Road Park and Ride site) would be required
to support this route extension.

3.5.3 Second phase – as the development continues, the Citi8 service would be introduced as an
interim service via the Huntingdon Road West Junction, and a new service would be
introduced linking West Cambridge via North West Cambridge to the Cambridge Science
Park. This would require the bus stop pairs at Location C on the Site Access to the south of
Huntingdon Road East junction, the additional bus stop pair on Huntingdon Road at Location
D, and potentially the bus stop pair at Location E to the north-west of the Local Centre.

3.5.4 Final phase – towards the completion of the Development, Citi8 would be replaced by the
diverted Citi5 service, triggering the activation of the remaining bus stop pairs - at Location F.

The U4 is a lot as expected, though in my naivety I'd assumed that the buses would be extended through Madingley P&R by building a road out the back of it.  That would have made a nice interchange with the X5 and the P&R.  The "Location B" stop surprises me.

I'm trying to work out how the C5/8 diversions would work though!  Any suggestions?  C5 I suppose could leave Cambridge by Madingley Road rather than Huntingdon Road?  That wouldn't be tooooo bad, but would be a bit of a shame for people trying to go to Huntingdon Road!

But how would the C8 get there?  That seems like a horribly long and convoluted route to subject people trying to get into the centre from Histon Road to!!!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2016, 09:44:47 PM »
I think you'll find that something else other than Dart/Enviro 200s, has been purchased. All will be revealed soon !!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »
Interesting document! 

The U4 is a lot as expected, though in my naivety I'd assumed that the buses would be extended through Madingley P&R by building a road out the back of it.  That would have made a nice interchange with the X5 and the P&R.  The "Location B" stop surprises me.

I'm trying to work out how the C5/8 diversions would work though!  Any suggestions?  C5 I suppose could leave Cambridge by Madingley Road rather than Huntingdon Road?  That wouldn't be tooooo bad, but would be a bit of a shame for people trying to go to Huntingdon Road!

But how would the C8 get there?  That seems like a horribly long and convoluted route to subject people trying to get into the centre from Histon Road to!!!

As regards the City 8 serving this complex, are we to assume that the Histon/Cottenham service is to be renumbered ? I ask this, as looking at the map at the end of the document http://www.nwcambridge.co.uk/files/sws_condition_38_bus_stop_strategy.pdf....it shows the City 8 (Orange Line) as going across King Hedges to Science Park & the NEW railway station at Chesterton (not to/from Histon/Cottenham). Thats unless they've made an error with the service number, but I think not, as I assume the present Citi 8 will get a renumbering. The Citi 5 will just divert from Huntingdon Rd (beside Beefeater/pub..whatever its now called), round the site & rejoin Huntingdon Rd further along near Girton College (see Blue Line on map). There's enough services covering Madingley Rd now...to add more would be a negative move.