Author Topic: Cambridge Park & Ride Changes November 2016  (Read 18308 times)

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 393
Re: Cambridge Park & Ride Changes November 2016
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 08:50:46 AM »
Newmarket Rd, 4th Jan.  0940 to the centre and 1620 return.

I know it's catch 22, but if people were at least sitting on buses rather than waiting at bus stops then that would give a better impression.   You don't encourage people out cars by having them stand at bus stops.
But, in the defence of the drivers (not the Company), they have struggled over the last 3/4 weeks of Xmas/New Year hoildays to run on time ! I have been out & about, and noted the amount of traffic after 10am trying to get down Newmarket Rd past Marshalls/Football Club & also Trumpington St/Pembroke St. Some services were running about 40 mins late because of cars queueing for the Car Parks & blocking a way through for the buses !! Until the Council does something about the Car Park Queues, these P & R services will continue to suffer ! The worst move by the Council, was the parking charge at the P & Rs.......the buses, overnight, more or less, lost 16% patronage.........thats an incredible 1 in 6 people !!! Still, some of these Council Twits know best, even though they've never been on a bus !!

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »
Cambridge Park and Ride is relatively expensive compared to parking in town.

For two people in one car it costs £7 to use park and ride. If you park at Queen Anne that means you need to stay more than five hours for it to be cheaper to use the Park and ride service. It's a failure of joined up thinking that it costs less to park in town. Park and ride is economical for those working in town all day but it needs to be more economical for more to help journey reliability.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1347
  • -Receive: 202
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
But, in the defence of the drivers (not the Company), they have struggled over the last 3/4 weeks of Xmas/New Year hoildays to run on time ! I have been out & about, and noted the amount of traffic after 10am trying to get down Newmarket Rd past Marshalls/Football Club & also Trumpington St/Pembroke St. Some services were running about 40 mins late because of cars queueing for the Car Parks & blocking a way through for the buses !! Until the Council does something about the Car Park Queues, these P & R services will continue to suffer !

The inbound Trumpington St/Pembroke St/Downing St blockage could be avoided if Stagecoach combined busway service R with the Trumpington Park&Ride. This would also avoid the outbound queues along Trumpington Road which can frequently stretch from the end of the bus-lane to the Waitrose entrance on peak shopping/days/times. This, latter, is largely caused by a poorly-designed junction with a red light prohibiting southbound traffic turning right into the Waitrose car-park even when there is a long gap in northbound traffic.

The worst move by the Council, was the parking charge at the P & Rs.......the buses, overnight, more or less, lost 16% patronage.........thats an incredible 1 in 6 people !!! Still, some of these Council Twits know best, even though they've never been on a bus !!
Cambridge Park and Ride is relatively expensive compared to parking in town.

For two people in one car it costs £7 to use park and ride. If you park at Queen Anne that means you need to stay more than five hours for it to be cheaper to use the Park and ride service. It's a failure of joined up thinking that it costs less to park in town. Park and ride is economical for those working in town all day but it needs to be more economical for more to help journey reliability.

I know this seems local-politics-nerdy but it is important to bear in mind that Cambridge City Council were furious about the P&R parking charges, as is Cambridge's MP. The P&R car parks are under control of the Cambridgeshire County Council.

The City Council leader and the MP, Daniel Zeichner, opposition spokesman on buses, have made frequent calls upon the County Council to be big enough to admit their mistake and remove the charge. The County Council's Highways and Community Infrastructure Committee Chair is Councillor Mac McGuire (Con, Norman Cross). The Vice-Chair is Councillor Peter Reeve (UKIP, Ramsey). I do wonder if either of them ever take a bus into Cambridge or, indeed, ever visit the city other than to drive to County Hall for meetings.

In my opinion (and that of City councillors of all political persuasions, to whom I've spoken) Cambridgeshire County Council is not fit for purpose. It is supposed to be responsible for highways, infrastructure, social services and schools over an area stretching from the borders of Royston and the edge of Newmarket to Wisbech and the borders of Peterborough, encompassing Huntingdonshire, and the Isle of Ely.

The City Council controls the city centre car parks. They have increased their charges over the years and recently brought Sunday charges into line with Saturday. Profits are ring-fenced for transport improvements. However the effectiveness of stand-alone subsidised services is limited. If there were a unitary council (like Peterborough) for Greater Cambridge (i.e. city plus South Cambs) and bus franchising powers, with unitary smart-card ticketing, I think we could potentially see huge increases in ridership and reduction in traffic jams.

And even though Any Campbell would no doubt whinge about moving to tendering (though, quite likely, Whippet would benefit from 'competition for the market') we could expect to see both companies (and one other independents) benefiting.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 534
  • -Receive: 90
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 03:56:55 PM »
I went to a lecture on Park and Ride at the NEC exhibition in November.  Only three P&Rs charge both for parking and the bus and all are two tier locations - Oxford, Stratford upon Avon and Cambridge.  If one council was involved, the revenue from in town parking could be used to subsidise P&R.  One council team would then be responsible for balancing the revenue and costs between the car parks to achieve the reduction in town centre traffic.

The City Council could have offered to lease the P&R car parks but, as far as I know, they didn't.  They would then have had the overall control of fares and service.

A couple of other interesting snippets from that lecture:
In Bath, First pay a premium to run the P&R so it makes a contribution to the council funds.  The council are removing city centre parking as and when the opportunity arises.

Although it appears that ENCTS holders could be barred from free travel in the guidance, in the legislation, this can only happen if the fare charged for using the Park and Ride service is greater than the normal bus fare for the equivalent journey which may explain why Cambridgeshire keep talking about it but not doing it.

Offline wadey88

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
Thought this may be of interest just saw this on Flickr https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/northernsoutherner/32340979251/in/search_QM_q_IS_cambridge+bus+_AND_ss_IS_2_AND_prefs_photos_IS_1_AND_mt_IS_all_AND_w_IS_all_AND_s_IS_rec
They seem to look really smart. May just be the fresh.paint though

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 130
  • -Receive: 97
    • My Flickr
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 11:20:23 AM »
They may look smart,  but I'd bet money that they're still sheds to travel on! 

Offline AL

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 44
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
EX Red Cambridge park and ride Enviro 400 AE07 KZB has been converted to single door and know carries the standard Stagecoach livery.
Thank You

Offline skyLink

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
They may look smart,  but I'd bet money that they're still sheds to travel on!
More rattles than mother care. Fill sorry for whoever gets the 58 plate one.
Kind regards
MR S

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 07:29:32 PM »
The NEW Orange Newmarket Pk & Ride buses 10807-10 were being equipped with radios & Real Time electronic communication apparatus today. So hopefully, they'll be In Service within a couple of days ?

Newmarket Rd Pk & Ride service was being covered by existing 19302/4/6/7 today.

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 10:23:05 PM »
Does anybody know what Stagecoach East will do with 25+ TV Screens that were removed from the lower deck of the old buses as the new Enviro 400MMCs come with the screens already fitted inside of the panel on the lower deck.

I have heard rumours that they will be sent over to Fenstanton and will be fitted to the fleet of Guided buses and will display information such as news headlines, weather information, adverts and travel information.
Thank You

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 130
  • -Receive: 97
    • My Flickr
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
Would have thought those screens were owned by either the advertising agency that ran the displays on them, or CCC.
Seeing as their large counterpart screens at the P&R sites vanished after a few years,  I can't see them bothering somehow!

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 88
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2017, 09:36:19 AM »
Please, no - they're a complete waste of space. The same few ads rotating endlessly, and snippets of news from the CEN, they couldn't have been making enough money to cover their costs surely?

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
Does anybody know what Stagecoach East will do with 25+ TV Screens that were removed from the lower deck of the old buses as the new Enviro 400MMCs come with the screens already fitted inside of the panel on the lower deck.

I have heard rumours that they will be sent over to Fenstanton and will be fitted to the fleet of Guided buses and will display information such as news headlines, weather information, adverts and travel information.
They'll probably end up in the Scrap Metal Skip !! They're just another bit of Unwanted Clutter !!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:48:14 PM by Habbinman »

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 12:53:17 PM »
That makes sense, they have had a few of those screens on the EX Guided buses but they have only been switched on a couple of times, the exact screens are still onboard some of the EX busway buses and were not removed and fitted onto the new ones. It would not make sense to keep 25+ screens in storage or throw them away when the Guided buses serve 3 park and ride sites that are owned by the county council.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:58:34 PM by AL »
Thank You

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
The 4 Purple (Milton) Park and ride Enviro 400MMCs for Stagecoach East have had there ticket machines removed and will be the next batch to travel down to Cambridge.
Thank You

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
The 4 Purple (Milton) Park and ride Enviro 400MMCs for Stagecoach East have had there ticket machines removed and will be the next batch to travel down to Cambridge.
These will be 10803-6 . It will be either Mon or Tues they arrive !

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2017, 04:57:37 PM »
10807/8/9/10 all out in service today
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2017, 04:52:25 PM »
These will be 10803-6 . It will be either Mon or Tues they arrive !

At 3pm this afternoon, there was no sign of their delivery yet !

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »
At 3pm this afternoon, there was no sign of their delivery yet !
Thurs Afternoon.........10803/4/5/6 SN66WAE/J/O/U for Milton Park & Ride HAVE arrived at Cowley Rd !!

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 181
  • -Receive: 345
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »
Had a trip into Cambridge yesterday and rode on 10807 and 10809 on the Newmarket Road (orange) service. Got some photographs, some interior and exterior.

Also photographed some blue (Trumpington) and fushia (Madingley Road) examples. Didn’t see any green (Milton) or purple (Babraham Road) buses though.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/960164

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »
Had a trip into Cambridge yesterday and rode on 10807 and 10809 on the Newmarket Road (orange) service. Got some photographs, some interior and exterior.

Also photographed some blue (Trumpington) and fushia (Madingley Road) examples. Didn’t see any green (Milton) or purple (Babraham Road) buses though.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/960164

David

David, you've got them slightly muddled !!  The Green ones (for Babraham Rd) are STILL in Merseyside..On Loan, with the TWO Grey generic ones. I'm told 4 Green ones are due to come down imminently, as they're now surplus at Merseyside. The Purple ones (for Milton) have only just arrived yesterday, & are being prepared for service next week(?)

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 181
  • -Receive: 345
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2017, 11:28:47 AM »
Thanks for that Nigel! I will have to re-visit to see the others.

David
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:44:00 PM by Spoddendale »
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2017, 04:55:19 PM »
Sitting outside the Cowley Rd Bodyshop this afternoon was freshly delivered Green (Babraham Rd) Pk & Ride 10797 SN66VZV. Also present were a pair of Purple (Milton) 10803/6 that were delivered last week. All were being prepared for service. Its also been noted that grey 10801 SN66VZZ has arrived !

This now leaves FIVE on Merseyside..........the One Grey & 4 more Greens, which should be delivered very soon, as the work on which they are on (Rail Replacement), is due to finish on Sunday (12th Feb).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:28:52 PM by Habbinman »

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 166
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Sitting outside the Cowley Rd Bodyshop this afternoon was freshly delivered Green (Babraham Rd) Pk & Ride 10797 SN66VZV. Also present were a pair of Purple (Milton) 10803/6 that were delivered last week. All were being prepared for service.

This now leaves SIX on Merseyside..........the 2 Greys & 4 more Greens, which should be delivered very soon, as the work on which they are on (Rail Replacement), is due to finish on Sunday (12th Feb).
Both 10803/4 seen on the Milton service this morning and 10801 was working Newmarket Road.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:10:15 PM by busman »
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2017, 01:55:17 PM »
Dang - I've been going out of my way for several days in case I could pick up a "first day" ride - then they come out when I'm laid up with a virus! :(

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2017, 02:32:10 PM »
Yesterday, NEW Green Babraham P & R 10796 SN66VZU was taken Out Of Service by Merseyside & is awaiting someone to deliver it to Cambridge.

Offline Stevoj3026

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2017, 11:40:54 AM »
Here we have Ex Stagecoach East Cambridge Park and Ride now Stagecoach East Midlands Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 Alexander Dennis Trident 19296 AE07KYW which is seen here on its first day on service for Lincoln at Waddington, Millers Road whilst on 13 City Bus Station

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2017, 03:54:35 PM »
 Another NEW arrival is Green (Babraham Rd) 10799  SN66VZX.

This now leaves 3 Green & One Grey to be delivered from Merseyside. Hopefully, this will be in the next few days, as the Rail Replacement work they were covering, was scheduled to finish yesterday.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2017, 08:00:00 PM »
Can someone confirm for definite that the P&R buses are conventional E40Ds? Just had a snarky message from a city councillor claiming that they are hybrids... despite the 10xxx fleet numbers

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1347
  • -Receive: 202
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2017, 08:18:33 PM »
Can someone confirm for definite that the P&R buses are conventional E40Ds? Just had a snarky message from a city councillor claiming that they are hybrids... despite the 10xxx fleet numbers

As far as I know, you are correct on that, Julia.

Andy Campbell was on BBC Radio Cambridgeshire this morning talking about his bus fleet and whether electric vehicles would be helpful in combating levels of pollution.

Were they actually hybrids, I do not doubt that he wouldn't have missed the opportunity of bragging about it. What he did say was that the company had discussed the possibility of introducing electric vehicles on the park-and-ride routes with charging taking place at the park-and-ride sites. This was not possible, owing to the lack of the appropriate electrical infrastructure.

He did, however, say that the new vehicles have stop-start technology, so that in stationary traffic the engine will cut out and then restart automatically when it's time to move on.

Edit: correcting minor speech-to-text errors
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:37:55 AM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.