Author Topic: No more SCC printed timetables  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 227
  • -Receive: 446
No more SCC printed timetables
« on: October 06, 2016, 11:28:02 AM »
After seeing a sign in Mildenhall bus station today telling that Suffolk County Council is no longer going to produce printed timetables, I visited the website to read more about it.

A statement on there read 'The April 2016 edition of our bus timetable leaflets were the last printed by Suffolk County Council'.

In future if someone wants a hard copy printed timetable it has to be downloaded from the website.

David

My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Tony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 42
Re: No more SCC printed timetables
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 11:51:31 AM »
This is fine assuming everyone has access to the internet, which not everyone does for one reason for another...

Will the bus companies be printing them now one wonders or is it just a case of no internet no timetables I wonder...

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
Even if people do have access to the internet, it is still not as reliable as having a paper booklet. Mobile phone internet is still often very poor quality, especially when looking up timetables.
People can download it at home and then print it off, but that presumes they have a working printer.

Offline 642EBD

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
Even if people do have access to the internet, it is still not as reliable as having a paper booklet. Mobile phone internet is still often very poor quality, especially when looking up timetables.
People can download it at home and then print it off, but that presumes they have a working printer.
So how do you find whether your paper timetable is still current?  By the bus not showing up presumably!  And, no, I don't have mobile internet, but I do use my PC to plan my trips.

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 669
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 09:39:19 PM »
Whilst paper timetables are only more reliable if they are in date (and they don't usually show expiry dates), Internet timetables are a can of worms. I have managed to find an old version of a timetable using Google and the Stagecoach website warns about this.  My preferred website is travelineeastanglia.org.uk which covers the all of England from Cornwall to the Humber.  Its timetables are usually up to date and warn of changes although the end date is suspect.  The timetable won't always change then and there may be changes before then which have not made it onto the system yet.  Its treatment of sectional routes is very difficult to follow and it sometimes suggests really odd routes but you only notice it if you already have a good idea of what to expect.

My local library will print timetables for you at 10p a sheet and TICs are sometimes helpful if the person on duty knows their way round the system or knows the local bus routes.  Telephone enquiries are pretty much dead, I think.  I don't think the bus companies answer their phones even when they publish the numbers or am I generalising too much?  I once used a text service (in Devon) just to see how it worked and it was wrong!  The bus came along to prove it which was a relief as it was getting near the end of service.

Steve

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 131
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
Whilst paper timetables are only more reliable if they are in date (and they don't usually show expiry dates), Internet timetables are a can of worms. I have managed to find an old version of a timetable using Google and the Stagecoach website warns about this.  My preferred website is travelineeastanglia.org.uk which covers the all of England from Cornwall to the Humber.  Its timetables are usually up to date and warn of changes although the end date is suspect.  The timetable won't always change then and there may be changes before then which have not made it onto the system yet.  Its treatment of sectional routes is very difficult to follow and it sometimes suggests really odd routes but you only notice it if you already have a good idea of what to expect.

My local library will print timetables for you at 10p a sheet and TICs are sometimes helpful if the person on duty knows their way round the system or knows the local bus routes.  Telephone enquiries are pretty much dead, I think.  I don't think the bus companies answer their phones even when they publish the numbers or am I generalising too much?  I once used a text service (in Devon) just to see how it worked and it was wrong!  The bus came along to prove it which was a relief as it was getting near the end of service.

Steve
Well at Centrebus we certainly do answer the phone, I share an office with our customer service team and they are always on the phone but it is a small team so at busy times it can take a while to get through.  I know from personal experience that Arriva are also pretty good at answering the phone though because their call centre cover such large networks over such a big geographical area now their actual knowledge of their own network is not as good as it should be.

The split registrations appears to depend on which council has input the data, though it may also depend on how the operator supplies the timetable to the council.  Our split services (like the 19 Nottingham to Peterborough) are displayed on Traveline as a single through journey, as is the Transpeak, which may be down to the fact that I ensure that I enclose a full through timetable along with the registrations to show how all the through connections works.  The dates seem a bit arbitrary, it appears to be what Traveline think is the normal notice they would get for 56-day registrations (it takes about 2-weeks to update Traveline and you would expect about a week for the registration documents to get to the right person at the council), that said we have a change on the 24th October that I just checked that was submitted under 56-day notice that hasn't filtered onto Traveline yet despite their valid until date being over a week later now so someone is running slow.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 542
    • ScotBus
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 01:56:41 PM »
That's correct - as have Bucks CC and a fair few more this year.
It might be easier to work out what is left in print!

We are planning hard copy replacements in our Comprehensive Guide series (ring binders updated every month or two) for Suffolk certainly, and we are looking into our options for Bucks i.e. put together a draft and looking at what we can have in the way of maps. We will look at some of our small Pocket Guides for areas where we know there is additional demand, if that applies.

Mrs Suzy Scott
Managing Director
Here To There Publishing Ltd
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2072
  • -Receive: 236
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 07:22:08 PM »
This is an interesting discussion. The main points which I would take away from this are that there is still a need for printed timetables. Thank goodness for independent collators and publishers like Here To There. And the arrogant assumption that everyone is online nowadays. (Even in a rural area with rubbish broadband and poor 3G/4G mobile connectivity.)
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.