Author Topic: SC East May 2017 changes  (Read 5360 times)

Online Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 542
    • ScotBus
SC East May 2017 changes
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »
Answers on a postcard! all i've heard is that there MAY be some May changes in Beds... and here we are!
p.s. Registered now includes Variation. Don't make a teapot of yourself as I did on the Sullivan fan group...

PF0000459/214 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Cambridge City Centre to Madingley Road park&ride

Service number: PR1 (PR1)

Service type: Limited Stop

Effective date: 21 May 2017

PF0000459/177 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: March to Huntingdon Rail Station

Service number: 35 (35)

Service type: Normal Stopping

PF0000459/140 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Bedford to Luton

Service number: 774 (81)

PF0000459/137 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Bedford to Hitchin

Service number: 773 (72, 71)

PF0000459/160 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Bedford to Biggleswade

Service number: 776 (73)

PF0000459/202 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Trumpington P&R to Rail Station

Service number: R (R)

PF0000459/184 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: St Ives to Chatteris

Service number: A (A, D)

PF0000459/182 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Trumpington P&R to Godmanchester

Service number: A_B (A, B, D)

PF0000459/220 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: St. Ives Park and Ride to Central Cambridge

Service number: N (N)

PF0000459/28 Registered

CAMBUS LTD

Route: Waterbeach to Addenbrooke's

Service number: 2 (2)

Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
Re: SC East May 2017 changes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Will the R be returning to the original timetable at that point?
What is an N? Night, new?

And who thought merging registered and variation was a good idea. Just makes it even harder to work out what is going on.

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 227
  • -Receive: 447
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:10:11 PM »
I have been looking at the timetable for peak time service 'R'.

I am curious as to why it takes 20 minutes to travel from the Railway Station to Trumpington when in the other direction it only takes 5 minutes. These journey times are the same whether it is morning or evening.

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 127
    • My Flickr
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
I have been looking at the timetable for peak time service 'R'.

I am curious as to why it takes 20 minutes to travel from the Railway Station to Trumpington when in the other direction it only takes 5 minutes. These journey times are the same whether it is morning or evening.

David

As the R has to do a loop from Station Road via Hills Rd to access the guided busway, it gets stuck in the inevitably heavy traffic along Hills Rd on its way back to Trumpington. Presumably that is the reasoning behind the additional journey time.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 160
  • -Receive: 177
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:08:05 AM »
I think the R returns to the 5 min journey / 15 min frequency when it is able to turn at the station again?

I presume N is for North Station, which opens on that day?  I wonder what the D will be (apart from a 7th service on the busway as our busway scrabble letters become A B C D N R U)

I guess the 2 variation is therefore to serve the station.

I had thought the Milton P&R would have seen a change too!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 12:18:23 AM by barryb »

Offline AL

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 44
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 01:01:28 AM »
New bus stops at Cambridge North Station |

- The busway Cambridge North (Stop 1) [cmbgmpwg] Served by Routes C, N and D

- Cambridge North Railway Station (Stop 2) [cmbgmpwj] Served by Route 2

New Buses for Fenstanton |

I have heard rumours that new buses for Fenstanton have been ordered and will be included on the Stagecoach bus orders for 2017/2018 when its released. 2x Volvo B8RLEs and 4x Enviro 400MMC/Scannias (not yet confirmed by Stagecoach East) I have heard that these buses will not arrive before the opening of Cambridge North Railway Station and that some of the old 09 plated EX busway Volvo B7RLEs that operate in Cambridge will be fitted with guide wheels and used on routes N and D until the new ones arrive later in the year.

Other News |

(Not yet confirmed) Routes N and D are to be operated by Double deck vehicles as a standard alocation as these new services will be highly used and in which will be very busy during peak times. These new routes will also contribute to reducing pressure on the current Route A service.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 12:08:26 AM by AL »
Thank You

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 669
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
It is really good that Stagecoach are continuing to invest in the Busway.  It would be good if the R returned to the original timetable which was very effective.  It was just stupid that the developers did not think about the impact of Station Square which had such a dire effect on the service.  I think restoration of the turn round at the station requires the old Mott MacDonald building on the corner to be demolished.  It is empty but there is no sign of any work there. 

As mentioned in another post, the train service from Cambridge North is currently not brilliant so it could be a bit of a slow start.  Hopefully, the December 2018 timetable will see substantial improvement.

I read somewhere that deliveries from the Stagecoach 2017/18 have already started although the order has not been announced so hopefully the additional vehicles will not take too long.

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 12:00:34 PM »
Whippet have just confirmed that Route C will serve Cambridge North Station with new timetables being released for its services closer to the opening. Also to note that Stagecoach will release its new timetables in the next couple of weeks.
Thank You

Offline Martin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
So it sounds like we have a train station that is better well serviced by buses but less so by trains. Sensible.

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:01:38 PM »
DETAILS OF NEW SERVICES |

Cambridge City 2 will no longer serve the Cambridge Science Park terminus and will instead tern left into Cowley Road where their will be 2 new bus shelters on either side of Cowley Road close to the DVLA Test centre, this service will then serve Cambrige North Station and will travel back towards the city centre.

All "Extra" Route A peak time services that travel between St Ives and terminate at Cambridge Rail Station will be changed and will be known as Route D and will be diverted to travel via Cambridge North Station also to note some of the last A services from Trumpington will divert to serve Cambridge North Station.

NEW BUSWAY SERVICE | A new service which will be know as Route N will operate between Longstanton park and ride and Cambridge City Centre and will travel the same route as the A but in edition it will serve Cambridge North Station and the Westbrook Centre on Milton Road and the turn left at the junction between Hills Road and Regent street and then continuing back serving Parkside. This service will operate every 20 minutes and will presumably be operated using a new fleet of Enviro 400MMC/Scannias.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 12:19:35 PM by AL »
Thank You

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »
Interesting!

And really confusing.   I'd thought the biggest market would be Station to Science Park (that's who the rail service best suits), and that Chesterton to Science Park would be a bigger market than Chesterton to Station.  I can see this changing back after 6 months!

I'm trying to decide whether the N will turn out to havebeen been necessary either.  Will we really need extra daytime capacity from Longstanton?  Would St Ives have been a better place to start?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 06:19:14 PM by barryb »

Offline Martin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
St Ives though increases the PVR so probably a factor.

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »
The A service will not serve Cambridge North Station that's why the N service has been introduced. Also to note that Stagecoach have never really Ordered enough buses for the guided busway and have already made a total of 6 seperate vehicle orders since the opening of the busway due to vehicle shortages.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 07:50:51 PM by AL »
Thank You

Offline wadey88

• Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 07:51:16 PM »
DETAILS OF NEW SERVICES |

Cambridge City 2 will no longer serve the Cambridge Science Park terminus and will instead tern left into Cowley Road
Thanks for this, I'm just confused a little. Should this be right into Cowley road, as surely it would be coming from town on Milton Road?

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »
I guess the new stops will be where the old Cowley Road park and ride site used to be where there is already a lay-by.
Thank You

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 11:03:43 PM »
The guided busway has certainly (as much as it pains me to admit it; I'm a trains kind of person) been more of a success then they foresaw, and I don't blame them for that as I didn't either!  It's almost irritating how successful such an ill thought out piece of infrastructure can be, and that's without either Northstowe being built or them really making an effort to try and use it fully (like giving it proper evening services or making a proper attempt to use the southern stretch).  It really shows what could be made of some proper useful infrastructure, like a busway relieving Madingly Road.

It's a shame that the station is so isolated from the rest of Cambridge's road network.  I really want there to be better ways of integrating it into the bus network.  It would be lovely if it was realistically possible for North Cambridge to get some kind of link to it, or if even the 117 could go to it.  But I can't see how it could happen and I wonder if the eventual service from West Cambridge will really be a success unless the university are willing to give it long term "U" style support.

It's a real shame the station couldn't have had a park and ride site / service too, but I accept the reasons why it moved where it did and why they wouldn't want to slow down the P&R buses.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
Just been looking at the new N timetable again.

I see it does a circular route in the city centre and that, for example, the 08:33 from Cambridge North is timed to pass Regent St at 0845, New Sq at 0849, and to return to the new station by 0859.  If it doesn't make it then it looks worrying like it only has 6m recovery time at Longstanton.  Similarly, the 1713 from Cambridge North towards the city forms the 1739 to Longstanton.

I hope this isn't... ambitious?  The As in the morning peak are usable only because there's so many of them!

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 127
    • My Flickr
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
I'd say New Square to the top of Milton Road in ten minutes is very ambitious!

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 10:02:23 PM »
New timetables:

Busway
https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/East/FENSTANTON/The%20Busway%20-%20MAY%202017%20-%20COMPLETE.pdf

C2
https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/East/CAMBRIDGE/CA%20-%20CITI%202%20-%20MAY%202017.pdf

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/East/FENSTANTON/HU%20-%20SERVICE%2030%2B35%20-%20MAY%202017.pdf

It's really disappointing that in legal terms the Busway has brought and even today continues to bring bad news stories, because of course in terms of service level it has been something of a remarkable success.  In a world where bus services everywhere else are suffering cuts the northern guideway has seen an increase from 7 buses an hour on opening to 11-12 buses an hour (more at peak times) today, and the southern guideway has gone from 3 buses an hour on opening to 12 at peak times, 8 on weekdays & 4 on Saturdays.

Of course, there is still a terrible stench of missed opportunity.  Is the northern guideway the only route in Britain with 12 buses an hour during the day but no Sunday evening service?

Offline bryangmccarthy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
No train service at Cambridge North on a Sunday!!!!!!

Offline bryangmccarthy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 01:59:57 PM »
Further to my previous post...Should have read No GN trains at Cambridge North on a Sunday

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »
Urgh!  Why in earth couldn't the Ely trains have stopped?  Maybe not during the week, but certainly on Sundays!

Offline grandad

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 09:52:02 AM »
Does anyone know how close to Cambridge north station the bus stops are google maps and othe rmaps still don't show station and access roads
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 09:55:28 AM by grandad »
Flog

Offline AL

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 10:42:35 AM »
There is a bus interchange with two shelters that are located just outside of the main entrance to the new station
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:44:13 AM by AL »
Thank You

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 669
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
Urgh!  Why in earth couldn't the Ely trains have stopped?  Maybe not during the week, but certainly on Sundays!

For the same reason that the weekday trains to Lynn don't stop.  The additional time north of Cambridge means that the crossing points north of Littleport move onto the single line.  I don't think there is an hourly Cambridge fast to extend as there is on weekdays. 

It is possible that with fewer trains on Sundays, the timings south of Cambridge could have been adjusted but that is a significant amount of work using resources which Network Rail doesn't have currently.

From the all the rumours, the East Coast, Midland Main Line and Southern timetables for 2018 are all being worked on.  There is no effective Thameslink timetable which integrates with them.  Hence something of a timetable crisis.  Cambridge North is insignificant by comparison.

Incidentally, Greater Anglia have published a poster advertising Cambridge and forgetting that Great Northern trains stop there - definitely not one railway!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2080
  • -Receive: 236
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
Hi, Forum members.

I've spotted that we have a lot of rail-related discussion about Cambridge North Station [CMB].

Rather than splitting and moving posts, I've copied a set of quotes from this board in a post at Re: Cambridge North Station.

I reckon it would be best to keep bus-related matters in this thread but post train-related issues about CMB in Re: Cambridge North Station.

Hope that's OK.

Best,

Richard.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.