Author Topic: Centrebus new service 18  (Read 1604 times)

Online Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 349
  • -Receive: 588
Centrebus new service 18
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:18:48 PM »
Notices and Proceedings 2324 dated 23 May 2018 contains the following application:

PF0002280/261 CENTREBUS LTD, 43 WENLOCK WAY, LEICESTER, LE4 9HU
From: Royston, Sassoon Drive To: Buntingford, The Crown Inn
Via: Barley, Reed
Name or No.: 18
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 01 July 2018
Other details: Monday to Saturday excluding bank/public holidays

Am I right in thinking this is new territory for Centrebus as I wasn’t aware they had a presence east of Letchworth/Stevenage in that part of Hertfordshire. Is it to replace another operator on a similar service?

I thought at first that ‘Sassoon Drive’ might be on an industrial estate and that the service might be tailored for workers etc. Looking at Streetview (captured way back in August 2008!) it is a field adjoining residential properties alongside the Royston by-pass (A505). So more likely one of the new housing developments that can be seen from the by-pass.

David
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 07:21:51 PM by Spoddendale »
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 147
Re: Centrebus new service 18
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »
New HCC contract, replaces the top half of the 331 (I'm a little unclear about the bottom part, Arriva have retained some or all south of Buntingford with at least some being commercial I'm led to believe) plus, I think, part or all of the Royston Town Service.  It is a return to the area as Centrebus have served both Royston & Buntingford in the past.

Online Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 349
  • -Receive: 588
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
Thanks for that info. (For some reason there doesn't seem to be a 'Thank you' button on this topic)

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3027
  • -Receive: 277
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:03:48 AM »
For some reason there doesn't seem to be a 'Thank you' button on this topic.

David

I noticed that too, David. Odd.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline essexdragon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »
Looks perhaps like a last ditch attempt to keep two marginally viable (even for subsidy) services going in this corner of North Herts - if so, well done HCC? I think neither ran when I lived in Royston in the mid-1980s, so things weren't always better in some "good old days" under NBC, though the services came in, I think, after a short term commercial experiment with the 798 Green Line (then straight along the A10, though it was - from Royston - as popular as any bus, barring the Park and Rides, I've seen into Cambridge) in the final flourish of NBC! I suspect almost anywhere else they'd have been replaced by a more restricted demand responsive service, but Herts seem so far to have resisted the temptation, perhaps the last vestige of their traditional support for a comprehensive bus network.