Author Topic: Dr Simon Norton 1952-2019  (Read 1055 times)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1565
  • -Receive: 212
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Dr Simon Norton 1952-2019
« on: February 17, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »
Forum members who are, or have been, involved in any transport campaigns may well have rubbed shoulders – or worked in organisations with – Simon Norton, who died recently, just days short of his 67th birthday.

An appreciation of Simon is available on the Cambridge Area Bus Users website here: Simon Norton 1952-2019.

The blogpost has links to many other tributes to Simon.

The Cambridge Area Bus Users web-manager has set the blogpost open for (pre-moderated) comments.

Or reply below.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 528
    • ScotBus
Re: Dr Simon Norton 1952-2019
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 03:27:47 PM »
Later news has come in to me today that Simon Norton’s funeral will be on Sunday 24th February at Golders Green Crematorium, Hoop Lane (London for those on DABF) at 11.00am.
-----------
I was really surprised and shocked to hear the news of Simon’s passing. I knew he had missed the last BABUS committee meeting because of cold weather because of his knees, but I simply put this down to partially getting older, and partially other ongoing life-long health conditions. I genuinely had no idea he had a heart condition, but this may have been a sudden/undiagnosed thing.

I first heard of Simon via his Campaign for Better Transport/Transport 2000 Cambs and Suffolk branch I think it was, and when I joined BABUS in 2009, he’d heard of my work on the Forum now known as ATVBF. It had been mentioned that they were looking for a website person, having been left the lurch by their previous person. Subsequently I expanded my role with BABUS, and have currently done ten years this month IIRC.

It’s clear that we didn’t always see eye to eye, but we did 9 times out of 10 – but he still respected and supported everyone around him. Just like most local councillors or trade unions, I kind of supported most of his thoughts, even if there were a few that might seem to be more unsuitable.

Following the launching of his biography of sorts (The Genius In My Basement), I kinda liked and respected him even more. Without trying to make this all about me, I see certain aspects of his personality are like me (early start late finish, distributing information in person) – and some of his other aspects (hygiene etc.) might be more like the old me than the new me. But I’m sad to say, no matter how many bumps in the road over the years we’ve known each other, that I have truly lost a friend.

Edit: add hyperlink to biography review
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 05:20:18 PM by TCD813 »
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

Find all my current and recent photos at ScotBus online! Update Pending

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1565
  • -Receive: 212
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Dr Simon Norton 1952-2019
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 05:11:47 PM »
That's a lovely tribute, Suzy.

It's been added to the Simon Norton 1952-2019 tribute post.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.