Author Topic: Bus Tracking Apps/Websites  (Read 709 times)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1342
  • -Receive: 202
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Bus Tracking Apps/Websites
« on: May 09, 2019, 08:12:23 PM »
Cambridge Area Bus Users Executive Committee members have had a number of discussions with Cambridgeshire County Council about inaccuracies in Real-Time-Passenger-Information.

The system, run by contractors, Vix Technology, supplies bus time information for a consortium of local authorities – Cambridgeshire County Council, Bedford Borough Council, Central Bedfordshire Council, Luton Borough Council, Northamptonshire County Council and Peterborough City Council. It is dependent upon information supplied from private bus operators, the largest of which is Stagecoach East.

Cambridge Area Bus Users' understanding is that this information is in two related forms – a timetable database, supplied to Vix Technology by the operators, and the bus driver’s duty logged into the (location-tracking) ticket machine which enables Vix to identify that bus as operating that section of the timetable.

The MyBusTrip app – available on iOS (Apple) and Android OS (Google) is powered by Vix and, essentially, mirrors bus stop RTPI flags, as does the related website.

It would be interesting to know how the MyBusTrip app compares with the Bus Times website, with Moovit, available on iOS (Apple) and Android OS (Google) and with the Stagecoach Bus app, also available on iOS (Apple) and Android OS (Google), across the Cambridgeshire County Council, Bedford Borough Council, Central Bedfordshire Council, Luton Borough Council, Northamptonshire County Council and Peterborough City Council areas.

Particularly of interest is which apps show real time, in your travel area, and which only show timetabled times. Do they show count-down times to arrival/departure? Is it clear whether the app/website is showing a detected bus or merely a published timetable? Do 'ghost buses' show, never to arrive? Do buses arrive unannounced?

All contributions welcome.

And all clarifications as to how the databases and technology interact are also welcome.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline MIB

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 226
Re: Bus Tracking Apps/Websites
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »
Thanks. The Bus Times website  fell apart yesterday afternoon with all Bedford/Kettering Stagecoach vehicles being wiped out before my very eyes. Attempts to click on the bus timetables failed to bring them back into view. In the morning I missed two buses because they were still showing in Harrowden Road when in fact they were in Elstow Road so they were about 5 minutes out. 19891 was also showing as being in Milton Ernest on an 81 following on from a 5 and X5 showing up in Sharnbrook last week.

So far today things seem OK.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
Thanks. The Bus Times website  fell apart yesterday afternoon with all Bedford/Kettering Stagecoach vehicles being wiped out before my very eyes. Attempts to click on the bus timetables failed to bring them back into view. In the morning I missed two buses because they were still showing in Harrowden Road when in fact they were in Elstow Road so they were about 5 minutes out. 19891 was also showing as being in Milton Ernest on an 81 following on from a 5 and X5 showing up in Sharnbrook last week.

So far today things seem OK.

Have you tried MyBusTrip for comparison? Or (don't laugh) the Stagecoach app?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline MIB

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »
No I am not 'appy to try any other apps. I don't have a pc at home so I have to use my phone to use the internet so I have a space restriction.

The Buses web went pear-shaped again this morning as every vehicle disappeared from my screen at 0858. On Tuesday there was a problem as 19699 was an astonishing 132 minutes late on a 51 and I refuse to accept Stagecoach would have sent a bus out that late without subbing it for a different bus to leave on time.

Offline RM471

• Thank You
  • -Given: 162
  • -Receive: 70
  • Owner of GS17, RM238, RM471 & RM2213
    • Peterborough Bus Rally
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 04:27:27 PM »
Stagecoach app works pretty well for me in Peterborough. Only trust timings that have a wi-fi symbol next to the info, indicating the waiting time is based on live data, not the timetable.

Offline MIB

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Sadly the buses web has got worse since yesterday around Bedford. Having lost the 9's yesterday, it has now lost other routes like the 2, 50 and 73 and I can only find about 20 of Bedford's fleet on the radar. I notice that the bus refresh button has been replaced by a location link and is it a coincidence that ever since bus stops have appeared in the system I have been losing the buses? I know where the bus stops are, what I need to know is where is my bus to get to work on time.

Offline MIB

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 03:47:16 PM »
The good news is the buses have started reappearing on the bus times site in Bedford although the bad news is that 19703 and 19892 are showing in Oakley and Clapham on 81's so a bit off their booked routes. Either they are on 51's or the location for them is bonkers.
 :-\

Offline MIB

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 01:05:31 PM »
Sadly the buses website has imploded again with only four vehicles to be found this morning in Bedford so maybe Jupiter is influencing the planets again...

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 01:53:32 PM »
Sadly the buses website has imploded again with only four vehicles to be found this morning in Bedford so maybe Jupiter is influencing the planets again...

Oh, yes, the days when all the routes had the names of planets…

Offline MIB

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »
Oh, yes, the days when all the routes had the names of planets…

Alas coming up to home time and still not working so the buses have entered a black hole so guessing games as to when a bus will appear to get me home.