Author Topic: New vehicles for the XL  (Read 475 times)

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 545
  • -Receive: 93
New vehicles for the XL
« on: May 22, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
Buses magazine (and the X1 Blog) have reported that the XL is to get new double deck buses later this year - Enviro 400 MMC/Scania ,

An interesting choice as they have been running the Alexander Dennis version for the last 6 years. The First engineers must think that the Scanias are better for high mileage inter-urban work.  This used to be the view at Stagecoach too but it has changed in the last 2-3 years so there are very few Scania orders - none in 2019/20.

I wonder if they will send the XL vehicles (or some of them) to run on the Essex X30 which has some double deck vehicles but not enough for the whole service.  The X10 (Basildon) service still appears to be 100% single deck - usually the dedicated Enviro 200s.

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 178
Re: New vehicles for the XL
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:17:55 AM »
They could keep them in Norwich still alot of old ALX400s running around

How many is there of the X1 Enviro400s, maybe 25

Offline asw909

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
Buses magazine (and the X1 Blog) have reported that the XL is to get new double deck buses later this year - Enviro 400 MMC/Scania ,

An interesting choice as they have been running the Alexander Dennis version for the last 6 years. The First engineers must think that the Scanias are better for high mileage inter-urban work.  This used to be the view at Stagecoach too but it has changed in the last 2-3 years so there are very few Scania orders - none in 2019/20.

I wonder if they will send the XL vehicles (or some of them) to run on the Essex X30 which has some double deck vehicles but not enough for the whole service.  The X10 (Basildon) service still appears to be 100% single deck - usually the dedicated Enviro 200s.

There are orders for Scania 'deckers around at the moment, but the majority are gas-powered. Nottingham are taking 67 this year (following on from 53 already in service), and First Bristol are due 77 at the turn of the year (CT Plus in Bristol have already had 19 for the MetroBus service they run). But certainly diesel-powered Scania 'deckers are no longer so common.

It makes sense for this route, though, by the looks of things, and I wonder how many will come - presumably 15 or 16, unless they are upgrading the Norwich-Yarmouth expresses too...

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 178
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 10:53:00 AM »
Noticed bus #12 was involved in a crash yesterday at some point, went past the yard at 5am and it was dumped outside the door with front bumper ripped off and windscreen smashed, looked to me like it was recovered over night and dropped off by recovery truck at the door