Author Topic: A2B new addition YJ10MBF  (Read 736 times)

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 198
A2B new addition YJ10MBF
« on: June 02, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
A2B have a new acquisition, Optare Solo YJ10MBF from Dawson Rentals, which was first registered by Optare in 2010 as a demonstrator, later becoming a hire vehicle for Dawson Rentals. Seen on 32 Little Shelford, Hauxton, Trumpington P&R service on Sunday 2nd June
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:33:37 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline cesar

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 23
Re: A2B new addition YJ10MBF
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
Lack of destination display totally illegal under PSVAR.

Offline skyLink

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:49:07 PM »

A bus is better than no bus.

Kind regards
MR S

Offline cesar

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
The service is funded under tender by Cambridgeshire. So they could use a legal operator instead, and there’d still be a bus!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:50:54 PM »

This service (No 32) is funded by housing developer Redrow in partnership with Hauxton Parish Council and South Cambs District Council (Not Cambridgeshire County Council) to provide a shuttle bus to and from a new housing estate at Hauxton Meadows to the Trumpington Park and Ride.
It has a route number (32) in the windscreen so that is all it needs to legally have,  lots of buses only display a number! The electronic display will be programmed in coming week as the bus only came into service yesterday.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:57:20 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline cesar

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 12:22:50 AM »
That’s not all it is legally required to have..... it requires a destination and service number at the front and sides, and a number at the rear, as a minimum, which must meet certain minimum size requirements and also be visible at night by illumination.  Your Transport Manager should be able to explain all this. The bus needs legal lettering too......

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:25:40 AM »
"Your Transport Manager should be able to explain all this" Its not my bus & I am not connected with A2B, just a member of the travelling public who is just grateful for these local services, the bus incidentally has the legal lettering just below the window on near side!

As for destination display I am sure this will be working this week after its been programmed. A2B buses all normally have a full electronic display.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:13:28 AM by John Wakefield »

Offline cesar

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 09:46:00 AM »
Ah sorry - the way you said destination displays would be programmed in the next few weeks implied you were in control of the matter!,  As for the legal lettering - Well being really picky that’s too small - should be in letters at least 1” high. But at least it’s an attempt to operate legally, so we’ll leave it there......

Offline L951MSC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 09:02:09 PM »
It's good to see further investment within the company, clearly things are going well as this is one of several much more modern vehicles purchased by A2B in recent times.

Having had a chat with the director from A2B today: "A2B Travel Group Official Response:" YJ10MBF was bought outright (£55k) to replace a defective vehicle, had a PDI (post-delivery inspection) and legal lettering fitted and was placed into service, all within 4 hours of collection. I can't say I know many other small independent operators capable of making such an investment to run on these small, apparently unimportant (to some) services.

With regards to legal lettering, I can confirm it meets all legal requirements.

If Cesar wishes to dispute this further he is welcome to make an appointment with A2B to inspect the vehicles himself and inform them as to where they're going wrong. Clearly, the fact that I, the director of A2B, previously operated a company of over 90 vehicles in Essex and am proudly part of a family that are a major operator in West Scotland means absolutely nothing and has taught me absolutely nothing about the rules and regulations of the bus industry...

I feel that perhaps Cesar is a fellow bus operator who has recently lost tenders, or rather prefers to spend his time reviewing each and every regulation there is, rather than congratulate or applaud individuals for their hard work which on the whole benefits others far more than themselves.

I would also just like to add we proudly boast 3 qualified transport managers within the firm, all of whom would be more than willing to explain to Cesar the rules and regulations of the modern bus world. As for the destination displays, I think you will find it is only "good practice" to have a working rear destination display, not law as you have claimed above and on previous threads. The vehicle in question is fitted with a Mobitec Basic screen whereas the rest of our fleet are fitted with Hanover Full-Colour blinds and I am awaiting software to program the screens fitted to this vehicle.

Rest assured, I will be certain to notify on the forum when this has been done, just in case anyone wishes to inspect the screens with a ruler and toothpick. Always good to know someone is watching your back in this business."

Offline cesar

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »
Route and destination displays

8.—(1) A regulated public service vehicle shall be fitted with a route number display and a destination display in the following positions—

(a)on the front of the vehicle, as close as practicable to that part of the windscreen which is within the driver’s field of vision; and

(b)on the nearside of the vehicle adjacent to the entrance which is closest to the front of the vehicle at a height of not less than 1.2m to the lower edge of the display characters and not more than 2.5m to the upper edge of the display characters measured from the ground and, if fitted with a kneeling system, with the vehicle in the normal condition for vehicle travel.

(2) A regulated public service vehicle shall be fitted with a route number display on the rear of the vehicle.

(3) Any route number display shall be capable of displaying—

(a)characters of not less than 200mm in height on the front and rear of the vehicle and not less than 70mm in height on the side of the vehicle;

(b)characters that contrast with the display background;

(c)characters that are provided with a means of illumination; and

(d)not less than three characters.

(4) Any destination display shall be capable of displaying—

(a)characters of not less than 125mm in height when fitted to the front of a vehicle and not less than 70mm in height when fitted to the side of a vehicle;

(b)characters that contrast with the display background;

(c)characters that are provided with a means of illumination; and

(d)not less than fifteen characters.

(5) Destination information shall not be written in capital letters only.

(6) In this paragraph—

“character” means capital letters or numbers of a specified height and lower case letters of a size relative to the text of a capital letter for a given typeface;
“destination” means a word or words to describe the route or final destination; and
“route number” means any combination of numbers or letters which designate a bus route.

Offline L951MSC

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 08:27:40 PM »
There is no pleasing some people. If you could do such a good job of running it, gain your own O-Licenses and win the contracts yourself. If it isn't A2B you're moaning about its Myalls. Go and find something better to do with your free time. Broken record now.

Offline cesar

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
I’m sorry if the law upsets you. I think we all find it irritating sometimes but, for right or wrong, the rules have to be followed.  All I have done above is quoted from the relevant regulations. Let’s now consider the matter closed. I have no interest in whether you choose to operate legally or not, though the Traffic Commissioner might.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »
I am sure the Traffic Commissioners have far more important issues to deal with than minor infringes of destination displays, and too small legal lettering. There are far more important issues to deal with, bus companies not running to timetables, cutting routes, breaching drivers hours, poor maintenance, operating commercially under 19 & 22 not for profit permits etc. etc.

Offline L951MSC

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 10:31:48 PM »
Fully PSVAR compliant!