Author Topic: New trains?  (Read 2455 times)

Online barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 149
  • -Receive: 139
New trains?
« on: June 09, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »
Not sure if I'm being paranoid, but does anyone know if GA are now planning to keep some of the existing trains?

They used to use phrases that were very clear; they were replacing their entire fleet with xxx brand new trains etc, but the phrases they're using now (such as "replacing every train") could mean something different.

Wouldn't normally be paranoid, but of course we've not seen much of the TSR2 timetable so far, have we?

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 48
    • Flickr
Re: New trains?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:56:54 AM »
Still think the plan is to replace all, however the introduction to service has been delayed due various reasons.
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1669
  • -Receive: 219
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »
Still think the plan is to replace all, however the introduction to service has been delayed due various reasons.

Type testing and type learning?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:28:03 AM »
Yes plus software issues, gauging on the swing bridges and accumulation runs I have seen quoted elsewhere
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline skyLink

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 70
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 06:08:20 PM »
The first batch of new train have been given the green light to go in to service. Bye bye 37s
Kind regards
MR S

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 11:27:06 PM »
railforums.co.uk, which correctly identified that Flirts would start operating Felixstowe yesterday, says that there's a big effort underway to try and get three carriage Flirts onto some Cambridge - Ipswich journeys from Monday.

I hope they're right - the service today was a disaster one single carriage train each direction with a cancellations and a diversion to either side over rush hour!!!

Offline David Hancock

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 08:08:55 AM »
Went around the Cambridge-Ipswich -Norwich loop on Tuesday. No new Flirts on the route Cambridge to Ipswich a mix of 156/170s . In ipswich saw one on the Felistowe. Into Norwich there were a couple running on the Gt yarmouth and Sheringham and Cambridge. Was disapointed when it was time to catch our train to find it was a dog box. First time ive had one of these on that route.

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 587
  • -Receive: 110
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
Seems that the 170s are being released to Wales faster than they can get the Flirts into reliable service.   Currently only Norwich drivers are driving them.  Ipswich are Cambridge are in training.

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »
Posters at Cambridge station say (without giving a reason) that from Monday the 0654, 1320, 1620 & 1913 Ipswich to Cambridge services won't call at Kennet, that the 0848, 1147, 1447, 1747 and 2047 Cambridge to Ipswich won't call at Elmswell, and that the 1747 Cambridge to Ipswich won't call at Dullingham.

I take it these journeys are expected to be Flirts at least some of the time!

Offline Tony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 01:32:57 AM »
The main issue i understand as to why the 755's have not been used on the Cambridge to Ipswich line is due to issues with the selective door opening.... the posters with the ammended calls would make sense as a guard once told me if one was to work the line they could call at certain stations coming to Cambridge but not necessarily the same stations going back.....

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:04 AM »
Trains now shown as making additional calls at the missing stops. Guard says it'll start tomorrow now.

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 04:15:27 PM »
Finally made it onto one :)

It's very nice. Obviously it seems narrow compared to the Estonian ones... (because it is...), but  it's very nice inside compared to the 15Xs!

Distinctive low rumble of the engine coming from somewhere in the distance is the same.  Feel like I should be on the way from Tartu to Tallinn!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:55:21 PM by barryb »

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 10:20:40 PM »
Well...

I was on the 1720 from Ipswich, which made an additional stop at Dullingham so passengers from the 1747 ex Cambridge could double back at Newmarket.

Unfortunately the 1747 was late, so the trains actually passed each other while it was stopped at Dullingham station, waiting patiently with the doors closed...

It struck me that the Estonian Flirts stop at very many short platforms (perhaps about half the stations in the country; those marked black on this map https://elron.ee/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/elron_areaal_1300x500_07112018.pdf ), including one terminus.  I wonder what their process for managing this is :-)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:31:40 PM by barryb »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 05:12:53 PM »
Took the 09:09 Cambridge (City) station to Norwich as for as Ely, this morning.

Arrived on diesel, idled in the station on diesel, and travelled 'under the wires' to Ely, on diesel.

Why?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 07:03:40 PM »
No idea. Apparently when the extension to Stansted happens the changeover to electricity will be at Cambridge.

Offline Steves

• Thank You
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 07:33:59 PM »
There is no agreement with Network Rail to run them under the wires.  Agreement is expected 'soon'.  They may not operate under the wires north of Cambridge because of power limitations north of Milton but I thought those had been resolved a while back.  Changeover may be at Cambridge rather than North because of the longer dwell time there.

I think it would be possible to operate to Stansted on diesel. The units need to be platformed in front of the Liverpool Street service and therefore in the open air.  It is the reason for the short turnarounds at Stansted.  The train from Norwich needs to follow a train from Liverpool Street into the platform and leave before it is due to leave about 15 minutes later.  Most of the time, the bay platform which is wholly in the open air is occupied by the Cross Country service which has a 40 minute layover.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 06:20:22 PM »
There is no agreement with Network Rail to run them under the wires.  Agreement is expected 'soon'.  They may not operate under the wires north of Cambridge because of power limitations north of Milton but I thought those had been resolved a while back.  Changeover may be at Cambridge rather than North because of the longer dwell time there.

I think it would be possible to operate to Stansted on diesel. The units need to be platformed in front of the Liverpool Street service and therefore in the open air.  It is the reason for the short turnarounds at Stansted.  The train from Norwich needs to follow a train from Liverpool Street into the platform and leave before it is due to leave about 15 minutes later.  Most of the time, the bay platform which is wholly in the open air is occupied by the Cross Country service which has a 40 minute layover.

Mid-management contact from another operator, suggested that what I'd experienced was probably a one-off owning to pantograph problems.

Any thoughts?

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2019, 06:23:35 PM »
Anyone have the low-down on the current Peterborough-Ipswich signalling-related cancellations?

is there a problem with the FLIRTs interacting track circuitry? If so, how and why?

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2019, 07:55:48 PM »
One of the FLIRTs had a near-miss on the Sheringham branch after an AHB level crossing lost detection of the train and raised the barriers too early. I've heard a number are out of service and others are having their wheelsets inspected after each journey - and of course GA have sent their older units away off lease so there's not enough stock to run the normal service. That's in addition to the one which lost its pantograph.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 301
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:12:51 AM »
Could they not hire a DMU set from the NNR?

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 11:54:11 AM »
One of the FLIRTs had a near-miss on the Sheringham branch after an AHB level crossing lost detection of the train and raised the barriers too early. I've heard a number are out of service and others are having their wheelsets inspected after each journey - and of course GA have sent their older units away off lease so there's not enough stock to run the normal service. That's in addition to the one which lost its pantograph.

Details of the near miss here:

From: Rail Accident Investigation Branch Near miss at Norwich Road level crossing, Norfolk, 24 November 2019. Published 6 December 2019

New trains investigated after shocking near miss with car at level crossing
A safety investigation has been launched after one of Greater Anglia's new trains came within a quarter of a second of ploughing into a car at a level crossing.
David Hannant/EDP PUBLISHED: 15:13 06 December 2019 | UPDATED: 11:02 07 December 2019

There are also reports on the BBC and ITV websites but they add nothing to these two.

Offline samw

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 03:20:45 PM »
Could they not hire a DMU set from the NNR?

Are any mainline certified?
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 06:05:14 PM »
Unlikely, especially as they wouldn't have central door locking, possibly not working AWS, and few main line certified staff would know what to do with them!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 06:06:49 PM »

Are any mainline certified?

Probably not, but they could hire in a couple of Class 37's to top and tail a train as was used on the Werry Line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMD07PazWw
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:17:15 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 06:52:14 PM »
Probably not, but they could hire in a couple of Class 37's to top and tail a train as was used on the Werry Line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMD07PazWw

Well, John, at least the weight of the 37s should ensure good track circuitry triggering. But whether the track is now engineered to take that weight, all the way to Norwich, I don’t know.

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 200
« Reply #25 on: Yesterday at 06:57:41 PM »
Could West Coast Railways run the Yarmouth/Lowestoft with 47s for a while

DRS havent got the locos anymore so they said when the 37s finished

Online barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: Yesterday at 07:08:21 PM »
Only 20% of trains cancelled today (which historically would have been a shocker, of course)!

http://trains.im/ppmhistorical/LE/47

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 07:14:44 PM »
Only 20% of trains cancelled today (which historically would have been a shocker, of course)!

http://trains.im/ppmhistorical/LE/47

Incrementally, our expectations are lowered…

Offline Steves

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 09:51:25 PM »
Ipswich - Peterborough is still completely cancelled and the Sheringham line reduced to 2 hourly terminating at Cromer.  I think the later is because the issue with the new trains and the Sheringham line level crossings is still not resolved so they have to approach slowly in case of a wrong side failure of the crossing.

The 755s started operating to Stansted today.  They change from diesel to electric in the platform at Ely southbound and change back to diesel northbound at Ely.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 10:36:04 PM »
Well, John, at least the weight of the 37s should ensure good track circuitry triggering. But whether the track is now engineered to take that weight, all the way to Norwich, I don’t know.

Presumably as the line takes steam hauled specials to the NNR