Author Topic: Buses which cause 'too much pollution' for London are being sent to Cambridge  (Read 1197 times)

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 160

Offline al_557

• Thank You
  • -Given: 109
  • -Receive: 122
Cambridge have a very modern fleet compared to most parts of the country. Bedford, Fenstanton and Peterborough still have Darts on frontline services  that are up to 16 years old.

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 26
it is nice to see some old London buses on the road out of London still with stagecoach plus its nice to have a bit of a mix fleet around in the east not keep on seeing the same old rubbish plus its nice to see them before moving on to over bus companys
this photo is a 53 reg Trident what I'm on and its 18058 yes it is Chris johnson

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1265
  • -Receive: 195
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
I’m not sure the councillors are correct about London’s old buses sent to Cambridge. And, certainly the 100-seat tri-axle double deckers on order for the busway aren’t ex-London. They’re to Euro VI standard – cleaner than the car/light van Euro 6 ‘equivalent’, mainly because the testing regime for bus engines can’t be ‘gamed’ like the car exhaust tests.

I think that I’m right in recalling that Darren Roe, Engineering Director, told me that all Cowley Road’s vehicles are Euro V or better.

Op[en to correction, here.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline linkyyork

• Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 95
I think the buses concerned are as previously reported

"Look out for at least ten Scania Omnicity vehicles joining this fleet from Stagecoach London. 15074/75/78/81/83/85/87/89/90/92 are the earmarked vehicles which will be converted to single door".

Offline al_557

• Thank You
  • -Given: 109
  • -Receive: 122
I think the buses concerned are as previously reported

"Look out for at least ten Scania Omnicity vehicles joining this fleet from Stagecoach London. 15074/75/78/81/83/85/87/89/90/92 are the earmarked vehicles which will be converted to single door".

Those are the ones. What I find weird about it is that they're all 09 plate and would replace Enviro 400's that are a year newer than them. There are older Tridents at Bedford and Peterborough that would be replaced by the resulting cascaded Enviro 400's. The reason they're going to Cambridge I think is that Bedford and Peterborough can't have high bridge double deckers due to low bridges and also don't have fitters trained on Scanias. Where as Cambridge already has Scania Enviro 400's
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:51:57 PM by al_557 »

Offline wadey88

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 18
The press frustrate me, they did virtually the same article about Norwich.

They have no understanding. They seem more interested in supporting cars than public transport. They need to get their facts right.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 160
Always been the same,  controversial or bad news sells newspapers.

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 127
  • -Receive: 93
    • My Flickr
I would have imagined these Scanias were retrofitted at some point in their lives to comply with the London LEZ requirements? Could well be their emissions are lower than equivalent aged buses in use in Cambridge if so.

Offline Streetdeck

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 13
The media was churning out a similar story the other week about older buses being dumped on Norwich... Same Story, just change the City...

Offline Nat2

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
I would have imagined these Scanias were retrofitted at some point in their lives to comply with the London LEZ requirements? Could well be their emissions are lower than equivalent aged buses in use in Cambridge if so.

Taken from TfL’s vehicle checker...

LX09AEY
Red SCANIA

No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle
This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.
No LEZ charge due for this vehicle
The LEZ is different from the ULEZ - it doesn't apply to cars and motorbikes. This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from or not affected by the scheme, or is subject to a 100% discount.

God forbid, the CEN or a politician would let the facts get in the way of a ‘story’ ...and some people want politicians to be in charge of our bus services!!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 386

God forbid, the CEN or a politician would let the facts get in the way of a ‘story’ ...and some people want politicians to be in charge of our bus services!!

AND especially when they don't know their R's from their elbow, and are well & truly Clueless !

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
(Some) politicians are part of the problem, see this video of Gary Forbes-Burns, Operations Support Manager at Ascendal Group (Parent of Whippet Coaches) speaking to the Cambridge Area Bus Users Annual General Meeting on 15 June 2019.

Quote from: Gary Forbes-Burns
The latest round of Cambridgeshire County Council tenders specifies that anything which does not have to come into Cambridge only has to be level Euro III and if it came into Cambridge it was Euro VI. That's something which is there which can give a very quick win, and other local authorities are pushing for much higher levels than that.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Taken from TfL’s vehicle checker...

LX09AEY
Red SCANIA

No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle
This vehicle meets the emission standards for ULEZ so you don't have to pay this charge when driving within the zone.
No LEZ charge due for this vehicle
The LEZ is different from the ULEZ - it doesn't apply to cars and motorbikes. This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from or not affected by the scheme, or is subject to a 100% discount.

Could anyone oblige with the reg marks of all ten?

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Could anyone oblige with the reg marks of all ten?

Many thanks to Nat2.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
Here's a blogpost on the Cambridge Area Bus Users website Dirty Buses? which attempts to pull together some facts on the matter and do a little myth-busting...

Do read and feel free to comment, either here or on the Cambridge Area Bus Users site.