Author Topic: Noddy comes home!  (Read 2170 times)

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 172
    • The Wakefield Files
Noddy comes home!
« on: September 17, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
Who remembers the Noddy buses? Well Miller Bus & Coach purchased four of these Locomotors bodied Quest 80's from Merseryside PTE to use on city services. One C844 OBG, was later P/X for a Duple bodied Bedford YRQ which was owned by the Welyn & Hatfield Line. 844 ended up in north London being owned by a charity.
After prolong talks the vehicle has been acquired for preservation by Andrew Miller of Foxton and was collected this week

Photographed when operated by Miller B&C it was never repainted during it's time in Cambridge.
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 515
  • -Receive: 73
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
Re: Noddy comes home!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Excellent - basically these used Ford R series running units I believe but mounted at the back of the bus instead of at the front as with the Ford R series. Used to get on them when used on the 197 service during the day in particular.

Stangely, they don't look as weird now as then !!  :o
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:36:47 PM by gc_bus »

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:45:01 PM »
Excellent - basically these used Ford R series running units I believe but mounted at the back of the bus instead of at the front as with the Ford R series. Used to get on them when used on the 197 service during the day in particular.

Stangely, they don't look as weird now as then !!  :o
I seem to recall that they were also wheelchair accessible, although apparently Millers never operated them in that configuration with a space for a wheelchair.

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »
Yes, when I was a relief manager with London Buses we had one, very probably this particular one, being trialled at Ash Grove as a possible replacement for our elderly Nationals on the Mobility Bus network.

I managed to blag type training, and believe me they (or it) gave a nerve racking drive, with floaty steering and spongy brakes that never seemed to want to stop you no matter how hard you pressed the pedal.  They (it) did not succeed and the National's soldiered on!

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 232
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:01:35 AM »
These vehicles were susceptible to overheating, especially on hot days and had a very loud warning bell that sounded when overheading. I remember taking one from Royston to Bedford and back to Foxton on a contract run with the bell ringing one hot day. My head was ringing for days after!
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of January 2020 : 14,587

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »
Isn't C844 OBG the sole remaining example out of the six Quest 80 Locomotors that were built ?

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:00:08 PM »
Isn't C844 OBG the sole remaining example out of the six Quest 80 Locomotors that were built ?
As far as I'm aware yes mate.

Offline DGH

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 93
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:25 PM »
I must admit I'm quite surprised to hear of this vehicles survival, but it's definately in Andy Millers yard, saw it today!

Offline busman

• Thank You
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 07:25:59 PM »
She has been booked into Showbus, entry number 567.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 330
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 04:53:49 PM »
The Quest 'Noddy' bus is almost ready for the road again, On long term loan to MTT by Andrew Miller C844OBG has been repainted into MPTE livery as this pic taken at the MTT open day at Burscough on 18th July 2019 by Andrew  Harrison shows. 'Noddy' is keeping an eye on things!

History:
New 10/84 to Merseyside PTE (fleet No 0087) but did not enter service. Delivered as B932 KWM but then re registered C844 OBG 10/85
-/86 Miller Coaches, Foxton, Cambridge
6/89 Welwyn & Hatfield Line (later Sovereign Bus, Stevenage)
4/90 Unity 70 Youth Club, London N21 - as a non PSV for disabled children
3/08 Andrew Miller, Foxton - preservation
11/17 Merseyside Transport Trust (MTT) Liverpool on long term loan from Andrew Miller. - preservation

To correct gc_bus the Quest did not have R series running units. The engine is a Perkins 6.354 driving through a chain drive to an Allison automatic gearbox, the axles are from a Ford Cargo truck. The chassis is Quest's own make.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:13:49 PM by John Wakefield »