Author Topic: Driverless pods on Guideway?  (Read 284 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
Driverless pods on Guideway?
« on: July 06, 2019, 08:00:10 PM »
A long time ago we were told there was supposed to be prototype testing of 10 seater driverless pods on a Trumpington > Hospital > Railway Station shuttle from April this year.

Has there been any more about this?

Offline Spoddendale

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 184
  • -Receive: 351
Re: Driverless pods on Guideway?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
I missed reading about this project (or if I didn't I had forgotten about it!). This is a report on the Connecting Cambridgeshire website from 16 October 2017 which says 'The feasibility study will deliver its findings in June next year (that is 2018) and a £5m project to bring a fleet of 10 seater buses will begin soon after'.

https://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/2017/10/7843/

David
My photos may be seen at
http://www.ipernity.com/home/davidslater-spoddendale

The site includes:

My 1960s/1970s snapshots taken when I worked at Yelloway:
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/davidslater-spoddendale/album/690101

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 88
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:00:12 PM »
Which forwards you on to RDM Group (the company behind the pods), who rather suspiciously haven't updated their press releases etc. since 2017. Looks like the idea turned out to be a lemon...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 138
  • -Receive: 121
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
The last I heard was that a company had been given over £3m to go ahead, but unfortunately I can't remember the name of them (though it wasn't that).

I rode the EasyMile vehicle (that was similar to the ones trialled here) while it was on trial inTallinn, a few years ago, and at the time there were supposed to be plans to introduce them on two routes in Tallinn and one in Helsinki (though to me it behaved like something very not ready, and while the route was publicised as putting it in contact with real traffic it was actually running essentially off road). I can't find out much about that either, other than that they seem to continue endless trials and demonstrations where it's replacing walking rather than a real bus!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1406
  • -Receive: 209
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 06:31:24 PM »
My understanding was that it was the Innovation division of Ascendal (Whippet's Parent) which was involved.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.