Author Topic: Additions  (Read 3567 times)

Adam Dowling

Additions
« on: November 10, 2007, 07:12:50 PM »
Could we have a chatbox fitted???
I know how to implement them, done it as a experiment on me blog and is easy enough.
http://www.cbox.ws/
Very good and free, just copy the code.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 584
    • ScotBus
Re: Additions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 07:40:40 PM »
I can add and remove a number of extra packages for SMF, and I've installed Flashchat (paid) and a number of free packages to the server.

I'd be willing to do it if the demand was there - and remember, it can fall away after a while (I've had these things on my pages before!)

I would not be able to ensure an admin was there all the time, so it would need to be an 'unmoderated' chat room.

Any thoughts?

Adam Dowling

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 01:53:31 PM »
Its a simple little box, only people on the forum can use it too.
Seen it in use on another forum and it works well on there..

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:37:55 AM »
Is there a call for a more general topic area, not related to a specific operator or local authority?  What do others find interesting?
I am mindful of the comments made by "bristolrus" in relation to the topic I introduced concerning a Whippet operation on a particular day.  Please believe me, I have no wish to extend to that particular debate but it is quite clear that contributors have different interests.  Some are more interested in the 'what' (is operated).  Some, and I am one of them, more interested in the 'how' and 'why' (services are provided).  Hence my contributions relating to the history of service development.
What do others feel? 

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 10:56:08 AM »
When you say a 'more general topic area'... yes, there are there. But, there are there to cover what isn't covered on the main boards.

What I think you are getting at is having a seperate board for thoughts and opinions... or have I mis-read this?

Many of our current threads would have gone from one to the other, and will probably continue to do so. There is no problem in voicing concern/thoughts on a subject, when posting fact as well.

There could be the possibility to add a board for 'General Discussion' - to *talk* about rules, regulations, tickets, etc. - but these will usually stick to at least one operator. It's ok to do this, but would the members prefer to have a discussion board, or to keep things on each individual board? Pros and cons exist to both.

Suzy (Admin)

Offline bristolsrus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 287
  • -Receive: 130
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:07:01 PM »
"There could be the possibility to add a board for 'General Discussion' - to *talk* about rules, regulations, tickets, etc. - but these will usually stick to at least one operator "

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Suzy, a board for general discussion would be most interesting & if you put the name of the subject & operator in subject header that would help to clarify the discussion in question.   Having been on yahoo & before that the e-groups,  we had a similar case there where there was so much discussion about rules & regs, many others who were not so interested in that aspect, were a bit disgruntled.   They sorted that out by creating another newsgroup specifically for the  rules & regulations enthusiasts, and I can honestly say that managed to resolve the problem.

As for me, I must admit my interests tend to be vehicles first,  followed by services & network changes, but it doesn't mean I exclude one totally.  A company history isn't complete unless you take both factors into account, so I try to  ( and not very well sometimes I will admit) to keep an even balance.

Tony

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 12:47:06 PM »
I think Adam was asking for a 'chatroom'.  I doubt if this would be a good idea as it would never be used by all members as all members are not on line at the same time. A conversation can be held between individuals using the PM system, or if the need for a chatroom in itself is needed, perhaps someone on here could perhaps set up a Private room using AOL/AIM.  I believe there is a facility for non AOL members to access AIM.

stagecoach106

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 12:58:34 PM »
i think that the gallery is  idea  and would not mind   paying for it as all ways wanted one

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:52 PM »
This thread has got confused into a number of threads, so I will answer each one in turn.

General Discussion - this would be an *additional* board, and not intended as a replacement, but to allow general discussion on various matters - new driving and tachograph regs from 2007 & 2008 are perhaps a good place to start. This will be added as part of a forthcoming set of changes to the boards, which I will post shortly.

Chatroom - yes, I got the original idea, it's just coincdience this has been reused. No-one has mentioned it since. Would you like IRC chat, or an intergrated chat into the Forum? Or messenger - and if so, AIM, YIM or MSN? And, most importantly, are the numbers going to be worthwhile? If you feel this would be of use, please post in reply.

Gallery - See other threads please, but I will note your interest.

Suzy (Admin)