Author Topic: Constant lateness and breakdowns....  (Read 1222 times)

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 525
  • -Receive: 78
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
Constant lateness and breakdowns....
« on: November 14, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
Not being a regular Stagecoach In Cambridge user but a family member is of late, I find it incredible how often there are issues with the new H service from Papworth to Addenbrookes. Only this week on Monday the 05:44 H broke down in Papworth at the start of the service. A replacement was sent one hour later. The 05:44 H on Tuesday broke down at Addenbrookes. The Wednesday 17:22 H return had the driver constantly hoping out of his cab to go around the engine bay. The Thursday 07:09 H from Papworth did not arrive in the village until 07:45 despite it tracking at the depot from 06:45 until it finally left the depot at 07:10. That's just this week - repeat like this on previous weeks. Are all Stagecoach In Cambridge services as bad? The "AE10" E400's seem particularly prone to breakdowns followed by the 14 reg Scania's. I used to think Whippet had their own issues but they appear far more reliable than Stagecoach In Cambridge! Any comments appreciated.

Offline Palatine One

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 127
    • My Flickr
Re: Constant lateness and breakdowns....
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
I'm not a frequent user of the 13 service but on most occasions it is not unusual for the bus to be around 10-15 minutes down by Addenbrookes, unfortunately.

As for reliability, the 14 reg Gold spec Scanias do seem to be substituted on a reasonably regular basis. Not unusual to see a 10 reg E400 or ex-Busway 'decker out especially in the past few weeks....although they're a welcome relief from the shocking din of rattling bodywork the Gold fleet has. They didn't seem particularly well-built when new, and have deteriorated very quickly in only five years.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 01:00:35 PM »
Another week on service H and more lateness and breakdowns. Are all the Stagecoach services as bad I wonder?

Offline Tony

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 42
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:37:06 AM »
My route 9 (Cambridge to Ely) seems to ass my house most days within a few mins.... obviously a few delays in the early mornings and evenings but i would think thats down to peak time traffic.....

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 02:56:01 PM »
This morning at about 10.20 there were all 3 allocated P&R buses at the Madingledy Road. One appeared inoperative. The second was loading and left when full just after 10.20. The third started loading the waiting passengers just after the second bus left and departed just after 10.30, with some standing passengers but not full.
Returning from St. Andrews Street at 12.00 the display showed a 14 minute wait to the next bus. A bus arrived in about 10 minutes and departed as soon as loaded.
On arriving back at Madingley Road there was a breakdown truck next to one of the P&R buses.
I conjuncture that what was in effect operating was a 15 minute service with the information displays providing incorrect information.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 369
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »
This morning at about 10.20 there were all 3 allocated P&R buses at the Madingledy Road. One appeared inoperative. The second was loading and left when full just after 10.20. The third started loading the waiting passengers just after the second bus left and departed just after 10.30, with some standing passengers but not full.
Returning from St. Andrews Street at 12.00 the display showed a 14 minute wait to the next bus. A bus arrived in about 10 minutes and departed as soon as loaded.
On arriving back at Madingley Road there was a breakdown truck next to one of the P&R buses.
I conjuncture that what was in effect operating was a 15 minute service with the information displays providing incorrect information.

I suspect that the electronic displays are not being maintained correctly by Cambs County Council. One in Hauxton has only just been corrected after about 2 months and numerous reports that it was showing the wrong times for the 32 Hauxton to Trumpington P&R shuttle. I think staff have been cut to the bone and the software is not being upgraded. I would have thought real time displays should be correct but that may also be due to lack of maintenance. All Mayor Palmer is concerned about is grand schemes like the underground Metro and the busway to Granta Park decimating acres of green belt land.  He needs to get existing infrastructure right first for existing services.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »
But provision of the real-time service is contracted out. The data (core timetable) errors aren't the County Council's directly, but their contractors. (And yes, I share your concerns about the standard of service provided by those contractors.) Yes, you might have to keep nagging the CCC staff to keep chasing the contractors, but my experience is that the CCC staff are generally helpful and responsive, despite all. I've taken to copying reports of all display errors within the im smediate (Cambridge and the ring of towns surrounding the city) area to CABU so that there's somewhere outside CCC that the overall performance is being "watched".

John, thanks for all your efforts on the 32 - I see what you've done with the stop flags and timetable displays when I go out to the Queen's Head on the late morning run (not every day, of course!). (Ok, we're off-thread here...)

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 369
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 01:50:32 PM »
But provision of the real-time service is contracted out. The data (core timetable) errors aren't the County Council's directly, but their contractors. (And yes, I share your concerns about the standard of service provided by those contractors.) Yes, you might have to keep nagging the CCC staff to keep chasing the contractors, but my experience is that the CCC staff are generally helpful and responsive, despite all. I've taken to copying reports of all display errors within the im smediate (Cambridge and the ring of towns surrounding the city) area to CABU so that there's somewhere outside CCC that the overall performance is being "watched".

John, thanks for all your efforts on the 32 - I see what you've done with the stop flags and timetable displays when I go out to the Queen's Head on the late morning run (not every day, of course!). (Ok, we're off-thread here...)

Thanks for compliments on bus stop flags but I can't take all the credit, Steve Edmundson  'Bus Stop Steve' is the one who made them, I just helped putting them up.
As for the contracting out of the electronic signs, that doesn't surprise me, but of course it's the CCC staff who are the point of contact and have to take the flak for work not getting done. Zaneta Adamczyk is the Real Time Passenger Information Project Officer

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 36
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
All Mayor Palmer is concerned about is grand schemes like the underground Metro and the busway to Granta Park decimating acres of green belt land.  He needs to get existing infrastructure right first for existing services.
My thoughts entirely about 'our Mayor'.  He makes grand announcements about CAM which may, or may not provide an attractive service in years to come but does nothing about the immediate problems.  Most recently we have heard about CAM running to Alconbury Weald.  By the time that happens, it will be too late, the majority of residents will have settled into using their cars.  Buses should be in their today, not in five or ten years.  I had a look at Northstowe recently.  To access the Busway stop there is a rough, unlit, poorly signed path across open ground with few signs of the Busway route through the development being built.  There isn't even a bus stop at the development's entrance for the hourly service 5.

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 06:43:12 PM »
Yet more lateness and breakdowns on the Stagecoach H service today. The LX09 Scania Omnidekkers seem particularly bad for breaking down. I understand the H tender is up for renewal. Maybe another operator will get it. As a more usual Whippet user I can't say I've been very impressed with Stagecoach and my experiences of them running the H and whether this is the normal level of problems they have running other services.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 443
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
Yet more lateness and breakdowns on the Stagecoach H service today. The LX09 Scania Omnidekkers seem particularly bad for breaking down. I understand the H tender is up for renewal. Maybe another operator will get it. As a more usual Whippet user I can't say I've been very impressed with Stagecoach and my experiences of them running the H and whether this is the normal level of problems they have running other services.
Perhaps Stagecoach are trying to drop a hint that they don't particularly want the H service, hence the problems ? This sort of thing has been known before, from other operators (not just Stagecoach) where they may have been "badgered" into providing a service, that they weren't really keen on, but did it just to shut up the Council & get them off their back ??  Just saying,............... but I could be wrong, in this case about the H ??