Author Topic: New Busway Volvo deckers.  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 31
New Busway Volvo deckers.
« on: November 26, 2019, 03:52:56 PM »
Afternoon everyone,

My son Luke was out today, while walking back home from Huntingdon town centre, he managed to catch one of the new Volvo deckers passing Huntingdon Primary School:-

https://youtu.be/pcaW9DC19GY

Note the random character seen walking at the start of the clip!.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1716
  • -Receive: 220
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: New Busway Volvo deckers.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:12:22 AM »
More on these vehicles: 100-Seat buses for the Busway, with link to Stagecoach group press release, and photographs of equivalent vehicles in service with Lothian Transport.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 152
  • -Receive: 143
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:12:15 PM »
Hmm.  Those are an interesting length for the streets of Cambridge.  Will they be keeping the same route around Jesus Lane / Round Church??

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »
Hmm.  Those are an interesting length for the streets of Cambridge.  Will they be keeping the same route around Jesus Lane / Round Church??

Apparently. Stagecoach East borrowed a vehicle for testing, I understand.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 68
  • -Receive: 67
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 12:47:18 PM »
I've travelled on the Lothian vehicles and would note only that I anticipate boarding times will be even longer than with the current Busway double decker fleet. At least in Edinburgh they have only a limited range of day tickets and flat fares to deal with. And no change given. My experience is that boarding times at St Ives P&R on a Saturday mid-morning "B" to are quite shocking, even with the current vehicles (and that's just one example).

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 01:17:32 PM »
According to the press release, the XLB is 13.4m long. The regular Enviro fleet (according to the Dennis website) is 10.3m-11.5m. It's unclear whether this also applies to the newer MMC version of the 400 (of which Fenstanton has a small number). You certainly notice the difference - and I agree could well be challenging for drivers. Presumably front and rear overhangs (for which I can't immediately locate details) will be particularly relevant.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 426
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »
The batch of these Volvo B8L ADL Enviro 400XLB is 13901-12 with registrations BU69XYA/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/J/K/L/M.

So far, as I know, 13901 & 13903 have arrived on 25th Nov. They will need to be vinyled up & require staff to be type trained, before entering service.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 04:11:03 PM »
Oh well.  I'll be keeping well clear of them when I'm cycling...

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
Very many years ago when I was working in the Traffic Commissioners Office in Cambridge (I think it was Scania but cannot be sure now) said that their new Bendy bus could go anywhere a 12 metre bus could go. They soon backed off when they were shown the Jesus Lane turn into Bridge Street!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 01:19:25 PM »
Very many years ago when I was working in the Traffic Commissioners Office in Cambridge (I think it was Scania but cannot be sure now) said that their new Bendy bus could go anywhere a 12 metre bus could go. They soon backed off when they were shown the Jesus Lane turn into Bridge Street!

I believe that Stagecoach East borrowed a bendy-bus for evaluation, in the days when the Cambridge citi network was all single-deck. I understand that Sir Brian Souter was in attendance.

The deciding factors against were the Jesus Lane turn into Bridge Street and the Bridge Street turn into Round Church Street, as I heard it. Hence the replacements sere standard double-deckers.

Does anyone recall this? Or can anyone refute it?

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »
A picture from 10 years ago of a single decker making the turn into Bridge Street.
The turn is possible as long as there is no obstruction on the left hand side of Jesus Lane.

Offline skyLink

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 70
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 04:09:08 PM »
I believe that Stagecoach East borrowed a bendy-bus for evaluation, in the days when the Cambridge citi network was all single-deck. I understand that Sir Brian Souter was in attendance.

The deciding factors against were the Jesus Lane turn into Bridge Street and the Bridge Street turn into Round Church Street, as I heard it. Hence the replacements sere standard double-deckers.

It was that and kings street and risk at the railway station. Was a good ride around Cambridge
Kind regards
MR S

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2019, 06:00:27 PM »
A picture from 10 years ago of a single decker making the turn into Bridge Street.
The turn is possible as long as there is no obstruction on the left hand side of Jesus Lane.

Mind you, Alan, the new vehicles have steerable rear axles...

However, I'm teasing, they won't be taking that route!

See my notes here on Re: Guided busway changes - Consultation feedback session.

Edit: revealing the tease.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:10:22 PM by TCD813 »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2019, 06:34:23 PM »
Ah ! That makes sense!

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2019, 04:51:32 PM »
Mrs T reports having been passed, within the space of one minute, by no fewer than three of the new Busway double deckers in Jesus Lane, early this afternoon (ca 13.45). All heading in the same direction (towards the Park St lights). Did anyone else see them around the City Centre today and/or have any idea what they were doing? I saw a single example of one earlier this week, but so many running more or less in convoy...?

Offline alan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2019, 06:00:46 PM »
That's interesting about Stagecoach East testing a Bendi bus in Cambridge with Brian Souter in attendance. Re my post above when I worked for the Traffic Commissioners Eastern Traffic Area Office I recall that there was a much earlier test of a bendi bus in Cambridge. It must have been one of the very first because I left the MOT in 1980 & if memory serves me correctly it was a Scania that came to Marshalls, the Traffic Manager of ECOC (I believe John Madget) & The Chairman of the Traffic Commissioners Ken Peters along with others & myself were in attendance & the Scania representatives soon shied off when they saw the Jesus lane turn, but had previously said their bendi bus would go anywhere a 12m bus could go.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »
Mrs T reports having been passed, within the space of one minute, by no fewer than three of the new Busway double deckers in Jesus Lane, early this afternoon (ca 13.45). All heading in the same direction (towards the Park St lights). Did anyone else see them around the City Centre today and/or have any idea what they were doing? I saw a single example of one earlier this week, but so many running more or less in convoy...?

This is interesting (puzzling) given that the plan is to swap the Land B routes within Cambridge city...

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 06:10:31 PM »
This is interesting (puzzling) given that the plan is to swap the Land B routes within Cambridge city...
  The NEW deckers are being used for Type Training by the drivers on ALL Routes (Except Rail Stn to Long RD) that they might encounter, in Cambridge,
should any service be diverted away, for any reason, from the Normal Route ! To me, that is a sensible forward-thinking move & provides the drivers with a valuable knowledge that these longer buses will go along certain roads, should they need to divert ?

For the record, I've so far noted BU69XYA/C/E/F/G  (13901/3/5/6/7) being used for driver training...Although NO fleetnumbers have been applied yet.....Most likely when the Busway vinyls are applied before they enter service !  Has anybody else seen any others used yet, as I understand at least 7 have been delivered, as of 12/12/19. ?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:27:40 PM by Habbinman »

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »

Personally, I don't recall that ? However, I did borrow an MAN ADL300 from Oxford, one weekend ! I collected it on Saturday afternoon & used it for Routes Clearance on the Sunday, with Philip Norwell (CD). Then returned it to Oxford on the Sunday evening !

We subsequently had the batch of 40 arrive  51-plated 22301-40., which were the first to bear the Citi branding.

As a footnote, the Stagecoach Bendis that were in London (all now Withdrawn), did come past Cambridge, as they were delivered into Hull Docks & travelled South via the A1 & M11.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 07:03:30 PM by Habbinman »

Offline Emms1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 114
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 11:10:14 AM »
Does anyone know if these new deckers will be used on the huntingdon to p'bro stretch of the B?

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 03:25:52 PM »
Fleetnumbering Update for NEW Busway E400XLBs

For some unkown reason...possibly either Volvo or ADL messing the paperwork up regarding Chassis Numbers etc when registering them ?

They've been numbered , "On Paper", as 13901-12 ....BU69XYB/A/D/C/E?F?G?H/K/L/M/J in that order !
This info is as per Official Stagecoach East Fleetlist just received.......Although NOT by Perth Head Office, who said they would be in Alphabetical Order !

However, as any of us local, will tell you, the fleetnumbers or any vinyls have not been affixed yet, as they are awaiting the re-opening
of the Histon to Orchard Park section of the Busway at the end of January !!  This will also coincide with the Busway Relaunch & NEW
Busway Branding. Therefore, once In Service, we will need to check Fleetnumber to Registration Plate ?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:34:39 PM by Habbinman »

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
Does anyone know if these new deckers will be used on the huntingdon to p'bro stretch of the B?
Think you will find the main idea of the NEW E400XLBs will be to cater for the excess number of passengers,
to be carried during the Peak Period into Cambridge from Huntingdon/St Ives, thus reducing the ovecrowding
presently on buses at the Cambridge end !! However, no doubt & knowing how vehicles "stray" on Stagecoach
& get used for anything, then Yes, it wouldn't surprise me to see them in Peterborough !   In fact, they have
been doing Route & Type Training up in Peterborough already, as one or two members have photographed
them in Queensgate !!

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 114
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
Presumably, as they're substantially bigger than their predecessors, they're being tested anywhere they could possibly turn up on the Fenstanton based routes. Stray or not, the last thing you want is to discover they're too big to fit round a corner by scraping something when there's passengers on board... the 66 often gets a decker nowadays and the new Volvos would have an interesting time around the back of St Neots market square :)

Offline Emms1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 114
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2020, 11:34:48 AM »
Presumably, as they're substantially bigger than their predecessors, they're being tested anywhere they could possibly turn up on the Fenstanton based routes. Stray or not, the last thing you want is to discover they're too big to fit round a corner by scraping something when there's passengers on board... the 66 often gets a decker nowadays and the new Volvos would have an interesting time around the back of St Neots market square :)
I reckon they could just about do it when there aren't too many parked cars outside Elsie May's as I've seen it done by a cozy's tri-axle neoplan decker, however I think the problem with them doing the 66 would be the whole of buckden village but especially the turning circle outside Londis!

Offline Bob

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2020, 02:06:55 PM »
The roundabout inside Tesco in Huntingdon would prove interesting, I'm sure.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
As noted on the Happenings thread, BU69XYC was in service on a peak-time A this morning.

Offline Leonard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2020, 04:46:46 PM »
BU69 XYC was noted on the Addenbrookes shuttle from Babraham Road P&R this morning

Leonard

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2020, 06:58:09 PM »
XYJ on a peak-hour A inbound this morning. Clearly Fenstanton didn't get the memo about "will be launched when the Busway reopens properly" !

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2020, 12:38:34 AM »
XYJ on a peak-hour A inbound this morning. Clearly Fenstanton didn't get the memo about "will be launched when the Busway reopens properly" !

I guess launched and operated can be different things nowadays!

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: Yesterday at 02:14:29 PM »
Whoops! Around 11.15 this morning, one of the new buses on a City-bound B ground to a halt at the Shire Hall stop. Warning siren sounding (could be heard from the Citi 5 behind it). Flashers on. Passengers were transferred to the Citi 5. Later seen further into town operating "Not in service". (Details courtesy of my wife who was on the 5. She didn't note the reg number!)