Author Topic: Guided busway changes - Consultation feedback session  (Read 5566 times)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 160
  • -Receive: 177
Guided busway changes - Consultation feedback session
« on: November 27, 2019, 02:07:43 AM »
Will be interested to see what the verdict is!  I didn't actually know there was a consultation underway, would have responded if I had done.

Does anyone know if the consultation questions pointed any particular direction?

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2094
  • -Receive: 236
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Guided busway changes - Consultation feedback session
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:08:18 AM »
Stagecoach did promote this widely on social media. Cambridge Area Bus Users also posted about it with links, on their website: Stagecoach Busway consultation.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 12:10:12 PM »
Ah, I was abroad the month it happened!

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 12:50:52 PM »
As far as I understand, you could just turn up, to meet the team, but Amber Clark would appreciate an email to plan for numbers.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 03:48:51 PM »
Is anyone going?

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 05:58:06 PM »
Is anyone going?

Been there, done that.

Whaddya wanna know?

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 06:07:14 PM »
Routes A and B swapped in Cambridge city. No routes D, N, R.

A will serve Orchard Park, Shire Hall, Round Church Street (inbound) Jesus Lane (outbound) New Square and route as now. 5-min frequency in the peak, 10-min off-peak. New Sunday service on the A.

B will serve CRC, Science Park, Cambridge North station, New Square, Drummer Street.

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »
How do the changes impact Trumpington for Royston, Addenbrookes and Cambridge Rail Station?

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 06:27:12 PM »
Additionally, at least some of the B services will continue to/depart from the Rail Station.

Worth noting that none of this is fixed in stone right now - needs Highways England to allow the Busway between Histon and Orchard Park to be used again, and route and timetable revisions to be submitted to the Traffic Commissioners. And all of the new buses (the leaflet mentions 18 of them, whereas I thought there only going to be 12) to be delivered. And driver training to be completed on the new buses.There could also be reconsideration of some of the detail as well.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm so happy :)

Any news of any earlier / later / Sunday services ?

Is the R being completely replaced by the increased A frequency?

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 06:43:37 PM »
I'm so happy :)
Any news of any earlier / later / Sunday services ?

As Hugh notes, none of this is fixed in stone right now, but there will be later services on certain evenings. And the A will ruin through to Trump'ton P&R on Sundays.

Is the R being completely replaced by the increased A frequency?

Yes, no R.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 07:06:27 PM »
In reiterating my earlier point about none of this being cast in stone right now, I would emphasise that especially in relation to the R. On the one hand, there will be an increased frequency between Trumpington P&R and the Station; on the other, doing a complete (rather than the R's current partial) circuit of the Biomed Campus will mean increased journey times for former R passengers. They might not have to wait so long for a service in the first place, but it will take longer. It would be a trade off, and all I would say is that it's something Stagecoach staff are aware of. Things may (or may not) change between now and the introduction of the revised services.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
Though the ex R passenger will also benefit from the return journey leaving from the right side of the station and going straight onto the busway...

I imagine there will be some pressure for change more generally, as the broken links to the Science Park and Addenbrooke's will be missed.  It really is a massive pain that the southern section is single deck only.

I wonder if we could end up with the main service being swapped, but the peak time extras stsying on the "same" route?

Interesting times!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:28:38 AM by barryb »

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 36
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
Worth noting that none of this is fixed in stone right now - needs Highways England to allow the Busway between Histon and Orchard Park to be used again, and route and timetable revisions to be submitted to the Traffic Commissioners. And all of the new buses (the leaflet mentions 18 of them, whereas I thought there only going to be 12) to be delivered. And driver training to be completed on the new buses.There could also be reconsideration of some of the detail as well.
I wondered about the extra 6 buses.  I asked the question about new single deckers, some of the existing are approaching ten years old.  Whilst I didn't get a clear reply, I got the impression that some new ones are on the way.  I was also told that extra drivers are now under training to meet the extra requirements.

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2019, 01:38:29 PM »
Though the ex R passenger will also benefit from the return journey leaving from the right side of the station and going straight onto the busway...

I imagine there will be some pressure for change more generally, as the broken links to the Science Park and Addenbrooke's will be missed.  It really is a massive pain that the southern section is single deck only.

I wonder if we could end up with the main service being swapped, but the peak time extras staying on the "same" route?

Interesting times!

Vanessa Armstrong, Marketing & Customer Experience Manager, Stagecoach East explained to both Hugh T and me, that the pressure was for frequent journeys from St Ives P&R & Longstanton P&R direct to Cambridge Biomedical Campus. I'm not sure that there's much demand for Cambridge Biomedical Campus - Science Park journeys.

Route B will provide Huntingdon, St Ives P&R & Longstanton P&R passengers with direct links to Science Park, Cambridge North station and Cambridge city centre.

Online TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2019, 02:03:41 PM »
I wondered about the extra 6 buses.  I asked the question about new single deckers, some of the existing are approaching ten years old.  Whilst I didn't get a clear reply, I got the impression that some new ones are on the way.  I was also told that extra drivers are now under training to meet the extra requirements.

Quote from: section of email to Amber Clark, Marketing Assistant, Stagecoach East
I was hoping you could clear up a couple of queries:

Stagecoach group’s Press release of 20th May 2019 announced:
“Stagecoach plans £80million new vehicle orders to deliver better mobility and air quality” … [including] a fleet of 12 new double deck vehicles for the Cambridge Guided Busway, delivering more capacity than ever before, carrying 100 passengers.”

On Ronnie Barbour’s BBC Radio Cambridgeshire programme ( 28/11/19) Vanessa Armstrong, Marketing & Customer Experience Manager, was talking about 18 new vehicles.
  • Is this now 18 double-deck, double-door tri-axle 100 seat vehicles for route B?
  • Or 12 double-deck, double-door tri-axle 100 seat vehicles for route B plus 6 new single-deck vehicles for route A?
  • If the latter, will these be an additional 6 vehicles or replacements for older busway single-deckers?

I’ve Cc-ed Vanessa Armstrong and Ross Barton, but I’m only asking for one reply!

Hopefully we can soon replace speculation with fact.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 06:26:24 PM »
I'm not sure that there's much demand for Cambridge Biomedical Campus - Science Park journeys.

I was thinking more of Trumpington and Station to Science Park.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
Stagecoach obviously have the data, and we're not party to that. Certainly there was talk about (some? peak?) B services terminating/starting from the railway station. Not so sure about Trumpington-Science Park traffic - either how much of it there is, or how any of this might affect those folk. Given a much more frequent peak service, perhaps they'd just have to bite the bullet and change en route (which for those of us - me, you, for example - who have lived without direct buses to the station for a while now, is something we've grown used to).

What I forgot to mention earlier is that the plans for early 2020 were cbeing talked about specifically in terms of being the "first stage" in a series of service enhancements. Watch this space, as it were...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 09:23:24 PM »
I'm certainly happy* with the changes in respect of Orchard Park, better than I'd dared hope for!

I was so happy I forgot to ask about anything else...

*The realistic bit of me is. Really of course the service ought to be running 24/7 between St Ives and Addenbrooke's.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:29:48 PM by barryb »

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 381
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 10:20:35 AM »

The six single decks will have the Volvo B8RLE chassis (as used on the last single deck intake) but with MCV eVora bodywork. Stagecoach have taken that chassis/body combination recently for a batch of 12 vehicles now operating from Merthyr (4) and the Brecon outstation (8).

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 08:12:56 PM »
I seen on there website is changing the busway times in spring 2020 glad every 5 minutes too and more buses to spot
this photo is a 53 reg Trident what I'm on and its 18058 yes it is Chris johnson

Offline Cheltonian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 146
  • -Receive: 240
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
New Double deckers are being used for route and driver training at present. A couple have been seen in Peterborough. What has not been mentioned are that these vehicles are in the new Stagecoach 'Limited stop' livery of Duck Egg Green, which is due to replace the 'Gold' branding and will also become the Busway livery.
See my latest photo's on http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheltonian1966/

Number of individual vehicles recorded as travelled on at end of March 2020 : 14,622

Celebrating over 57 years interest in Buses and Coaches

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2019, 08:53:49 PM »
Guided busway is staying closed for about another month from 6th January.  I presume we're looking at the beginning or middle of February for the changes?

Was on a D yesterday, and started to wonder if all the current A route buses going via North Station and all the current R buses (effectively) going via the Addenbrooke's site will finally lead to pressure to look at the location of some of the stops again - I think that will make it three stops that will potentially not be in the best place? 

Orchard Park East; around the corner from double the number of services.  No loss from relocating the stop unless a future radial route from West Cambridge / Darwin Green does happen.
Foster Road; a stop located inside a revised junction would lead to a significantly faster journey time to the city centre (and twice as many journeys to the the Addenbrooke's site, though it is so close that most people going to it would probably walk anyway)
Science Park; once all services are going to North station the stops will be located across the road from a much faster route to the city centre.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 08:57:42 PM by barryb »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 11:45:54 PM »
Am really itching to see the new timetable!

Also wondering how they are gong to deal with Histon Rd over the coming months...

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »
There is a new timetable on stagecoach website for a/d for the woad works bit near Crc and science park plus what I know of is there be a new timetable coming out next month or so as it be every 5 mins to st ives and Cambridge in spring time not sure when but just keep look out on stagecoach website for the change I keep a look out too when it changes again
this photo is a 53 reg Trident what I'm on and its 18058 yes it is Chris johnson

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 36
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »
The new introduction of the new higher frequency timetable is dependent on the reopening of the Busway between Histon and CRC.  given Highways England abysmal record, I wouldn't count on it.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 07:28:53 PM »
CambsCC don't exactly cover themselves in glory either - 6 months for the Dutch Roundabout, the cycleway parallel to Cowley Road has been dug up for 10 months and is two months overdue, for example, and there's plenty of roads with enormous holes in - must put a lot of strain on bus chassis hitting them on every journey...

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 08:03:50 PM »
Dose anyone know the fleet numbers and reg plates to the deckers and single deckers please that be helpful thanks Chris

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 443
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »
Dose anyone know the fleet numbers and reg plates to the deckers and single deckers please that be helpful thanks Chris
The deckers are 13901-12 and are registered BU69XYB/A/D/C/E/F/G/H/K/L/M/J     

PLEASE NOTE that they are NOT in Alphabetical Order that was originally intended, as VOLVO registered them & muddled up the Chassis Numbers !!

The SIX single deck Volvo B8RLE MCVs will be 21363-8.    They have NOT been registered yet, but are receiving attention at a Birmingham
workshop that supplies & instals vehicle heating systems.

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2020, 01:23:15 PM »
Thanks for the info habbinman I look out for single deckers reg bit more near before they due on the road