Author Topic: Guided busway changes - Consultation feedback session  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 437
Re: Guided busway changes - Consultation feedback session
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »

Fleetnumbers ONLY have started to appear on the NEW Busway deckers !!

I can so far CONFIRM that 13903/6/7 are Registered as BU69XYD/F/G  !!

More to follow........

Offline alanv

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 03:17:18 PM »
Is the Guided busway blockage under the A14 about to be lifted.
The Stagecoach web site implied it was due to end at the end of January.
The revised service is due to begin at the beginning of March.
Are the old routes being operated in February over the no longer blocked busway?

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 06:16:37 PM »
Is the Guided busway blockage under the A14 about to be lifted.
The Stagecoach web site implied it was due to end at the end of January.
The revised service is due to begin at the beginning of March.
Are the old routes being operated in February over the no longer blocked busway?
  They are working on the Guideway Track now, but unfortunately have found that about 12 beams need to be lifted & re-aligned !! This was due to the Piling operation required to widen the A14 bridge. Ground vibration, from the Piling, has caused the beams to move !! I was told that they were working day & night to rectify the problem so that the Busway could re-open ASAP !

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »
Fleetnumbers ONLY have started to appear on the NEW Busway deckers !!

I can so far CONFIRM that 13903/6/7 are Registered as BU69XYD/F/G  !!

More to follow........
  So far seen In Service/Training are 13902-8/12 which I can CONFIRM are Reg'd  BU69XYA/D/C/E/F/G/H/J. The other FOUR are being Prep'd for Service.
15657-9/812-4 are Officially now in Reserve.

Also, of interest is that Volvo B7RLE Wright Eclipse  21224  AE09GYU has been repainted into the NEW livery base colour of light green (as applied to the NEW Deckers)

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 158
  • -Receive: 171
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
Stagecoach have updated the Guided Busway notice on their website to until "further notice" https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-25/05/2019-10:49:25:251

I wonder if the March timetable change will still happen!

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 75
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2020, 08:59:55 AM »
Just to let you know that, in a moment of total frustration with the lack of reliable/current info, I wrote to the County Council to (try to) find out when the reopening will actually take place. The County's own dedicated Busway website still says "mid-January". As soon as I have a response I'll let you know (and also post something to the Busway blog).

From the upper desk of a Citi 8 yesterday it looked as the only work being carried out was by Openreach - and I couldn't be sure they weren't just using the Busway entrance (by Histon station) to park their vans...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 04:38:10 AM »
Thebusway.info now has a timetable valid from 23/02/20,which so far as I can see appears identical to the 12 January 2020 one.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 09:04:49 AM »
The only submission to the Traffic Commissioners for timetable changes I've seen recently is for 1 March. Can't find anything for 23 Feb. Also, it's rather strange, that this apparently "new" timetable still shows some "B" services departing from Bay 11, despite the fact that this bay is now "out of use" since 19 Jan.

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 367
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 10:47:23 AM »
Thebusway.info now has a timetable valid from 23/02/20,which so far as I can see appears identical to the 12 January 2020 one.

The timetable shows the use off Acland Street Coach Park as the Peterborough terminus, as a result of the planned 18-month closure of one side of Queensgate Bus Station although I'm hearing that the Ackland Street site may not be ready for a February opening!

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »
The timetable shows the use off Acland Street Coach Park as the Peterborough terminus [...]

Good spot! I was only looking at the numbers!

Offline Leonard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 20
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2020, 08:13:42 PM »
I found some changes to the A service from 01/03/20 from the Hertfordshire Intalink site stating withdrawal of route D, and while service to be the A and also withdrawal from Foxton village and revised at the Royston end to start and finish at Tesco’s.

Thank you,

Leonard

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2020, 07:33:48 PM »
I found some changes to the A service from 01/03/20 from the Hertfordshire Intalink site stating withdrawal of route D, and while service to be the A and also withdrawal from Foxton village and revised at the Royston end to start and finish at Tesco’s.

Thank you,

Leonard

Presumably the withdrawal from Foxton Village is due to low patronage particularly in non peak times, plus of course the difficulty exiting the village onto the A10 at Foxton Station due to the level crossing.  Presumably a new stop will be installed on A10 near Foxton station.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2020, 09:07:07 AM »
Not sure I'd assume anything when it comes to bus stops...

But there's already a pair of stops just north of the level crossing. I doubt an additional stop just south of the crossing could be justified (even if there's somewhere to put it). Perhaps move the existing stop (I've no idea how much use it gets). The other end of Foxton village is even more problematic - there's no obvious place on the A10 for a substitute for the "The Green" stops.

Unfortunately, there are no "registered but unused" stops in the database that would help (although there is a pair elsewhere in Foxton).

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »
Not sure I'd assume anything when it comes to bus stops...

But there's already a pair of stops just north of the level crossing. I doubt an additional stop just south of the crossing could be justified (even if there's somewhere to put it). Perhaps move the existing stop (I've no idea how much use it gets). The other end of Foxton village is even more problematic - there's no obvious place on the A10 for a substitute for the "The Green" stops.

Unfortunately, there are no "registered but unused" stops in the database that would help (although there is a pair elsewhere in Foxton).

Yes one flag on the Barrington side at Foxton and it looks quite new on Google Street View. https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1197886,0.0565366,3a,30y,359.27h,89.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG7SoQ_r_EHtfsJWV985btQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Next stop towards Royston is at the Fowlmere / Shepreth cross roads on A10. there has been no service through Shepreth for many years. So looks like Stagecoach are just running a main road service. If you live in Foxton or Shepreth you have to walk or cycle up to main A10. There is I believe limited cycle parking at Foxton rail station but not at Shepreth

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2020, 05:15:57 PM »
From Stagecoach:

"Until the bus way is  mended we are not doing any changes."

And as far as we know there's no date for the guideway reopening...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2020, 05:54:06 PM »
Yet...

Amended timetables now on Traveline!

Edit... and Traveline is screwing with my head, and the hours I choose that I thought were representative weren't.  A lot of my original post was wrong.

The stuff we knew about (10min frequency, changes between A and B), plus:

A

Mondays to Fridays:
+ Earliest arrival at Railway Station 0610.  Yay yay yay!!!
+ Hourly evening service Trumpington - St Ives (last departure New Sq 2312)
+ There are 9 buses a day from Ramsey, roughly hourly at times but with a gap in the afternoon
+ More buses to Somersham, kinda hourly at times but with a large gap in the afternoon
+ More buses to Chatteris.  Again kinda hourly at times with with a large gap in the afternoon

? The standard pattern during the very middle of the day has the following (ie not what we were expecting)
* hourly buses from Chatteris, Ramsey, Somersham & St Ives to Trumpington (with the one that starts at St Ives continuing to Royston)
* an additional 4 buses an hour from New Square to Trumpington

Sundays
+ Half hourly daytime service Trumpington - St Ives, hourly in evening (last from New Sq 2157)

B
+ Alconbury Weald gains a stop on the existing Peterborough service and an extra hourly service
+ Hourly Brampton service (more at peaks)
+ Hourly Godmanchester service (more at peaks, random eves)
+ Half hourly to Cambridge North
- Service drops to quarter hourly between 10am and 3pm - not bad not what we were expecting!
- Evening services are much the same - though I guess 2bph overall is better, it still seems disappointing against 12bph during the day :-(

+ 0710 earliest arrival in Cambs on Sunday, half hourly Cambridge (station) - Huntingdon daytime pattern (one to Hinchingbrooke, one to railway station), hourly evening service from Cambridge (Bus station) until 2247

R

- Is continuing, but with reduced hours

XA is disappointing - very early morning and evening return positioning services St Ives P&R > Fenstanton > Trumpington P&R (these stops only)

When they'll start... I guess we'll see, but at least we can satisfy the curiosity of wondering what they will be!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:55:47 PM by barryb »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2020, 11:19:51 PM »
Thoughts

- I love the idea of buses to the railway station, particularly early ones that get you to trains in time to get places.  Because of this I'm far less likely to use a car (because I hate driving, but other people wouldn't mind and would carry on using it because they already had it...) and will buy season tickets and take the bus to the railway station.  I hope it lasts; this seems a lot like the sort of service that people try from time to time (Whippet C, the X11/12 all those years ago) that gets cut as soon as someone is looking to see where they can save some money. 

- The short services from New Square to Trumpington confuse me, and I may be missing something.  Don't understand where they turn round / why that's the best route inside the city to pick people up.  If it wasn't for the no double deck buses thing I'd try to join them up with the B in my head and turn them into buses that change number in Cambridge (obviously they're not, which I think is a shame...). 

- I think some of the daytime buses to St Ives are theoretically poorly spaced on leaving Cambridge?  In practice I guess they will leave at utterly random times and it will be fine.

- The village services are a brave attempt, but I worry that they're the kind of thing they think people said they want in consultations (like the extra buses to Waterbeach via Fen Ditton) but that they don't actually want because they can never provide the service consultees meant.  An hourly-ish service on something as congenitally unreliable as the roads of Cambridge isn't going to be the thing?  Maybe it will be.  I hope it is - nothing else is developing these kinds of route anywhere in the country at the moment.  I'd have tried to serve those types of places using mini buses from Park and Ride sites that left the Park & Ride site once the first buses leaving Cambridge / Station after a stated time arrived.  I'd also have swapped the Swavesey service from Bar Hill to a similar type of service.

- I'm really happy for the early Sunday morning services.  I hope they make it, they seem like quite a brave attempt.  4 evening buses an hour Monday to Saturday would have seemed to me like something less brave and more likely to succeed!  I also wonder if there should have been a slightly different 'E' evening service; being like the current A or D diversion route and giving both the Science Park and Orchard Park half hourly services (and perhaps also on Sundays).

- I presume someone is showing them some £££ re Alconbury?  Seems a bit early?  Northstowe on the other hand, I thought might get involved in this change! 

- I also wondered if Great Kneighton and Hauxton might get involved in this timetable a bit more.  I really feel the potential of the southern guideway is neglected.  It seems to have rejuvenated a failing 26.  Could it rejuvenate a 7 that seems to be in long term decline?  What could it do for Green buses and 13s that aren't failing, or for areas that aren't currently served?

- I hope the Brampton service doesn't up up cannibalising from the St Neots service
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:17:35 AM by barryb »

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »
Barry b you mention Hauxton. The 32 minibus shuttle that serves the Redrow (Hauxtom Meadows) housing development on the old Beyer (Fisons) site is not attracting many passengers. This was put on and paid for by the developers but the bus cannot go into the development because the roads have not been adopted and no bus stops put in place.
This service is a total waste of time and Hauxton Meadows could have been better served by a bus stop opposite the main entrance on the A10 for the A service. The current stop at Hauxton Gap is some 400 metres to the West, almost halfway to Harston!

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:35 AM »
Barry b you mention Hauxton. The 32 minibus shuttle that serves the Redrow (Hauxtom Meadows) housing development on the old Beyer (Fisons) site is not attracting many passengers. This was put on and paid for by the developers but the bus cannot go into the development because the roads have not been adopted and no bus stops put in place.

But of course it isn't :( What use is a bus to Trumpington P&R with no through ticketing and no guaranteed connections? :(

Route seems like lack of will on the part of the developer. Buses came through Orchard Park before the roads were adopted (until they realised it wasn't really physically possible), and anything can be a bus stop sign (or it could be hail & ride).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 12:57:59 PM by barryb »

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »
Message on Traveline confirming that the changes aren't happening on 1st March.

Still interesting to have seen what they would have been!

Offline chris johnson

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2020, 06:29:52 PM »
The proper timetable be on stagecoach website any day now plus glad route b going to Cambridge station plus every half hour to Cambridge north plus glad they do more bus services to small villages like Ramsey area glad to see the timetable on stagecoach website
this photo is a 53 reg Trident what I'm on and its 18058 yes it is Chris johnson

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2020, 01:46:40 AM »
More detailed look now that I know what the traps in the traveline layout are :)

Peak journey times:

Seem unrealistic. Some seem more unrealistic than at present.

Royston:

Gains a couple of buses overall.  Now 14 buses each way, with the effect that the service runs across a slightly longer day and more regularly to a pattern as the morning gap in the service is filled in.  It's particularly pleasing to see this. Stagecoach have been running this service and know how it performs, so they're probably not doing this on the basis of guesses or wishes; they probably think the route is worth driving a bus to Royston during rush hour rather than using it somewhere else.  Given what happened to the 26 this is a real guided bus success!

Ramsey:

Confused me, so I went back to wonder if I had got this right.  Departures at 0614, then roughly hourly from kinda 10ish to kinda 4ish. The returns *arrive* (easiest way to read the traveline data...) at kinda 0945ish, hourly until 1545, 1904, 1933, 2001.  I guess this is good for Ramsey, and is also likely to be bad news for Dews.  It seems like a lot of filler services rather than a genuine attempt to be useful though! Also reminded me of an old skool Whippet timetable!

Brampton

Half hourly at peak hour for going to Cambridge or to Huntingdon Railway station, hourly through the day.  Nice peak service back; *arrivals* at 1757, 1827, 1900, 1926, 1949, 2021.  Useful additional service, hope it does well. Brampton last saw this kind of level of service at the end of Cavalier days!

Somersham

Six buses to Cambridge between 0550 and 0748, then kind of hourly-ish until 1529.  Return arrivals 1018, hourly-ish to 1514, 4 from 1845 to 2009.  Better than before, better than seen for a long time, gives realistic travel options to London.  Will it work?  I kind of want to call the daytime service a potential filler again!  Again, bad news for Dews.

Chatteris

10.5 return trips a day, pattern a lot like Ramsey, with a three hour gap in the afternoon. Same thoughts as before

Boxworth / Fenstanton.

Similar return trip to present.

Fenstanton

0547, 0627, 0647 fast departures to St Ives and Non - stop to Trumpington. Returns arrive back at 1928, 1958, 2028.

I assume these carry on to Addenbrooke's and the railway station, meaning that they could actually be surprisingly useful for certain journeys!

Godmanchester

At least hourly during the whole day and evening, extras for Cambridge peaks (leaning to early side thereof as present).  Nice service. Another nail in the coffin of the X3? 

R Service

Leaving Trumpington is quarter hourly from 0546 to 0901, 0931, 1431(!), 1801, half hourly to 1931
Leaving Station is 0916, 1416, half hourly to 2016.

Confused !

Orchard Park

Departure times at station for Orchard Park attached (these buses are also all the buses from the centre to Orchard Park. Pattern is possibly not what we were expecting from the session at the hotel!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:58:37 AM by barryb »

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2020, 12:45:58 PM »
I don't know if this is in any way related to the new Busway timetables, but Dews have submitted cancellation notices to the Traffic Commissioner for services 21 and 22 from 27 March. These are both County Council contracted services, so presumably the Council can clarify whether the contract is being retendered.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
- The short services from New Square to Trumpington confuse me, and I may be missing something.  Don't understand where they turn round / why that's the best route inside the city to pick people up.

This is a variant of Whippet's failed (and much missed - by me!) service P.

Not sure I see a problem with turn arounds - the A already turns at Trumpington, and the Five Lamps roundabout at the end of Short St is ideal for a New Square start/end. What's theoretically missing is any sort of layover space at the city end, in the (admittedly unlikely) event that the inbound service arrives early.

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 120
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2020, 06:21:56 PM »
The laybys on Victoria Avenue? Easy to park up there for a while and use Mitcham's Corner to turn round.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
The laybys on Victoria Avenue? Easy to park up there for a while and use Mitcham's Corner to turn round.

Yes, but... That's a lot of extra route miles and time! Equally possible, if undesirable, is a Jesus Lane/Round Church St/Park St/Jesus Lane circuit, laying over on Jesus Lane where the City Tour is often to be found. In practice, I doubt any laying over will ever be needed. Just so long as they don't simply sit at the southbound New Square stop, and make it difficult for other vehicles to get past...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »
I'd been thinking the ideal place for this sort of job (in terms of both buses and passengers) might be Drummer Street :)

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 120
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2020, 07:43:13 AM »
Yes, but... That's a lot of extra route miles and time! Equally possible, if undesirable, is a Jesus Lane/Round Church St/Park St/Jesus Lane circuit, laying over on Jesus Lane where the City Tour is often to be found. In practice, I doubt any laying over will ever be needed. Just so long as they don't simply sit at the southbound New Square stop, and make it difficult for other vehicles to get past...

True, but it's safely out of the way. The problem is that New Square is a strange place to end a route. Drummer Street would be ideal if there were space.

Would a B8RLE fit round New Square north side and Fair Street? The latter would be out of the way enough to lay over for a few minutes.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2020, 09:00:39 AM »
Buried deep in the Traveline data for the new Busway A timetable (and remember that the D will have been discontinued at this point) I notice the suggestion that NO services will call at either of the Royal Papworth stops. There's a history of "data problems" with these stops, affecting both Traveline and the Vix real-time data, so I'm not convinced this is a deliberate route change (apart from anything else, the A will continue to call at the Rosie Stop F - the one directly outside the main entrance - and the most logical route for reaching that point is ... via the Papworth "bus only" road).

As with previous issues relating to these stops I'll attempt to get it fixed (preferably before the new timetable is introduced, which means I have who know how long!). No guarantees, though.

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2020, 12:45:29 PM »
There have been comments in the Hunts Post and The Riverporter, a local free news sheet, about a cut in the number of journeys serving the Hartford Marina stop.  That seemed to be confirmed by a 'Stagecoach representative'. 
I seem to remember seeing a news sheet put out by Stagecoach, giving details of frequencies not actual timetables, which seemed to contradict this.  It suggested that during the day the current position of half-hourly via Houghton and Hartford Marina and half-hourly via Wyton on the Hill would be maintained. Can someone who has studied the new timetables confirm which is right?