Author Topic: Arthur Henderson RIP  (Read 492 times)

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 355
Arthur Henderson RIP
« on: December 20, 2019, 07:46:09 PM »
Well known Cambridge bus 'eccentric' Arthur Henderson has died. Arthur at one time owned a number of ex LT AEC Regal lV RF's, Regent RT's and a RMA Routemaster and ran an organisation called the 'Traffic Research Centre' based in Cambridge, He also had connections with Cambridge University and used some of his buses to transport students to sporting events etc.
Arthur died on the 4th December at the Arthur Rank Hospice aged 93. His funeral will be at Cam Valley Crematorium, on  Wednesday 22nd January at 2pm. Further details here https://funeral-notices.co.uk/east%20of%20england-cambridgeshire/death-notices/notice/henderson/4790892

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 442
Re: Arthur Henderson RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 10:09:42 PM »
Well known Cambridge bus 'eccentric' Arthur Henderson has died. Arthur at one time owned a number of ex LT AEC Regal lV RF's, Regent RT's and a RMA Routemaster and ran an organisation called the 'Traffic Research Centre' based in Cambridge, He also had connections with Cambridge University and used some of his buses to transport students to sporting events etc.
Arthur died on the 4th December at the Arthur Rank Hospice aged 93. His funeral will be at Cam Valley Crematorium, on  Wednesday 22nd January at 2pm. Further details here https://funeral-notices.co.uk/east%20of%20england-cambridgeshire/death-notices/notice/henderson/4790892
  Thankyou for posting that John.

Yes, Arthur Henderson was an amiable "eccentric" on the Cambridge Bus Scene around the 1970s to the turn of the century or so. As John has said, he had a collection of  ex-LT buses, which I remember he kept over Waterbeach Barracks in or beside a small hangar, almost alongside the perimeter & A10. A very friendly & pleasant chap, very knowledgable & always interesting to chat with, & I also remember him vividly telling me about his Traffic Research Centre work . It was at Premier Travel in the 80s, he used to do some occasional Part-Time driving for the Company, mostly as a driver of a Relief coach, to my Service coach on the Heathrow Airport or Oxford services, or doing an afternoon PYEs contract bus.

R I P Arthur.......Gone but not forgotten.... A pleasure to have known you.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:27:29 PM »
Arthur was generally regarded as the originator of the kerb-guided bus concept, dating back to the mid-60s. So someone of significance back in the day. By the time I encountered him - in the early-90s, and in a non-technical, non-bus-related context - he had indeed come to seem like a bit of an eccentric throwback. But I knew nothing about his engineering backstory at that point.

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 175
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 08:00:20 AM »
I had not seen Arthur for a number of years, he invited me to view his collection of buses which at the time (October 1983) were inside a hanger on Oakington airfield. While I was looking around and taking photographes of the vehicles he disappeared only to return with some squaddie with a tool box to replace one of the steps in a RF. The last time I saw him was on one of those Metroriders that were being used on that free bus service going around the city. Busy taking lots of photographes much to the annoyance of the driver who did not want the curtain behind him opened!
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 355
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 09:05:29 AM »
Arthur also had connections with Cambridge University, and on occasions used his buses to take students out to various functions and events. I attach a couple of pics taken on the 17th November 2001 when he took a party up to Wandlebury in his RMA (KGJ621D), he also hired in Andrews Coaches Daimler Fleetline (UAS83T).

As far I am aware these are the buses he owned:
AEC Regal lV RF's LYF387, LYF403, LYF430, MXX283, MXX439, NLE528 and NLE556
AEC Regent lll RT's MLL652 and KYY970
AEC Routemaster RMA KGJ 621D

Most have been sold on but it is believed Arthur may have still owned LYF387 and LYF430 (both stored at Youngs Coaches, Haddenham). Also LYF403 can't be traced to a new owner.

The others are now with as follows:
KYY970 - Ensign Bus
MLL652 - Mick Biddell t/a Imperial Bus) Outwell, Wisbech
MXX283 - London Bus Preservation Trust
MXX439 and NLE556 - Platt, Pendlebury
NLE528 -Mike Cleveley, Ipswich
NLE636 - London Vintage Bus Hire, Northfleet
KGJ621D - Michael Cunningham, Barnet, kept in Jurby Transport Museum IoM with the roof lowered https://www.flickr.com/photos/darlo2009/37624608851/in/photolist-ZjKXoB-w3KgqN-vNz46p-vNrNk5-vNz7pD-pXVF9R-dKPA8v-pAgY3k-bq6d8M-arXtjc-9ZTyhb-nqCkLm-9f9vJz-Hg54be-8zU13b-nqC7N6-5qavgA-7LD2dX-Fncanv-9QQseH-9QQpAk-an2LLC-amYTSD-5SuikB-br3jg5-bVbv5A-5xuyMm-efqa2C-7oMTzS-7oScpp-qo83vg-241iuHk

« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 04:10:24 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 175
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 10:57:54 AM »
Some of the vehicles he owned over the years
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!

Offline John Wakefield