Author Topic: Improved services to Cambourne  (Read 1546 times)

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 729
  • -Receive: 151
Improved services to Cambourne
« on: March 11, 2020, 09:55:50 PM »
The Mayor is proposing some new bus services serving Cambourne.  The information is from an item on the Route One website - copied below:

The Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough has announced three proposals which The Combined Authority will explore with operators, funders and the local community.

The new services and routes will run from Cambourne to key employment sites in Cambridge, the Cambridge Biomedical Campus and the Science Park.

The first proposal is a Monday to Friday non-stop bus service every half hour to the Cambridge Science Park and Cambridge Regional College.

The second is an improvement of the frequency on the current X3 route from 90 minutes to 60 minutes. This also involves extending the service to run from Huntingdon through to Cambridge city centre with additional stops.

The Authority is also proposing an additional hourly X3 service which will run direct to the Cambridge BioMedical Centre from Cambourne using the M11 motorway.

Mayor James Palmer hopes to see the new services in operation “within the next three to five months.”

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 85
  • -Receive: 109
Re: Improved services to Cambourne
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 10:31:06 PM »
Anyone want to try doing the calculations to work out how many vehicles these additional/improved services will require? And then suggest which operator have the capacity to take them on? We've been in a position recently where it's been a struggle to find operators willing and able to tender for Council contracts...

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 164
  • -Receive: 210
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 01:20:51 PM »
Well... The damage to the X5 didn't turn out to be an improvement :(

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 556
  • -Receive: 117
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
At least  Whippet X3 etc services are much improved 😁

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 67
  • -Receive: 570
    • ScotBus
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
At least  Whippet X3 etc services are much improved 😁

... when they turn up lol

Offline Palatine

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 148
  • -Receive: 160
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »

Sadly there does seem to have been a few apologetic tweets of late from Whippet regarding services not running.

I can't help but feel that the 905 will probably vanish once any funding runs out, unfortunately....

Offline gc_bus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 556
  • -Receive: 117
  • Lovely Leyland Leopards :-)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 04:42:55 PM »

There's been two in one Saturday that's all recently. We all need to get behind any bus company willing to give service improvements.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2482
  • -Receive: 247
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 06:55:13 PM »
I can't help but feel that the 905 will probably vanish once any funding runs out, unfortunately....

I don’t agree.

I asked and discovered...

Stagecoach and Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority counted only people boarding at the new stops – Cambourne and CRC/Science Park.

Around 650 ticket sales for the new stops in 14 days.

Most people make a return trip as well, using a return ticket or pass. So, around 1300 passenger journeys.

Some will pay with 2 singles, so be counted twice in this total - but not many. And there are a few one-way trips.

So a correct claim would be over 1000 new passenger journeys.

Not to be sneezed at in Covid times. (Bad joke.)
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline barryb

• Thank You
  • -Given: 164
  • -Receive: 210
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 01:08:09 AM »
Using the highly unscientific method of "what I feel I've noticed from looking out my window" (which is also telling me that reliability continues to be poor, and that unless there are doubled services pre-peak I'm pretty sure I've even seen bunching on one occasion) that'll work out to be a very high percentage of the people on the bus, even assuming the ticket sales were all returns with no weekly tickets.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 01:10:15 AM by barryb »