Author Topic: Coronavirus impact  (Read 646 times)

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 644
  • -Receive: 134
Coronavirus impact
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:47:38 PM »
I thought I would start a general thread for this so it is easier to see the overall impact locally.  If the admins don't agree, I am sure we can post under the individual operators,

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 644
  • -Receive: 134
Re: Coronavirus impact
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:55:55 PM »
National Express are reducing the service from Stansted Airport to London by reducing the overall frequency to half hourly on 2 routes - effectively from 10 coaches an hour in each direction to 4 an hour.  The Liverpool Street and Stratford routes are combined and the Paddington and Victoria routes.  There is a reorganisation of the intermediate stops and some stops are dropped - notably Kings Cross.

On the same routes, it looks as if Arriva have postponed their operations.  Airport Bus suspended their services on the 15th March for an indefinite period.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 352
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »
In more general terms this pandemic is going to hit bus & coach operators hard, in fact many of the smaller companies who rely on school work, excursions and private hires this will be the end, many were struggling before this happened. As for local services I suppose the big companies like Stagecoach will survive but probably with drastically reduced services. As far as local council subsidised services are concerned I suppose these will continue to run, but if drivers succumb the the virus then that may be a different matter. Also there will be less and less people travelling (particularly pensioners) so the buses will be running empty. Hard times indeed.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
Bus pass restrictions lifted
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »
Travel restriction before 9.30am on pensioners bus passes have been lifted.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 12:31:21 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
A2B services running as normal
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
A2B services 7A, 18 31, 32, 75, 114, 117, 127 & 202 are running normally. The driver of the 7A said there had in fact been a slight upturn in passenger numbers with people using the bus to get to the shops in Sawston. from the outlying villages of Hinxton and Whittlesford.
A2B services and timetables can be found here https://www.a2bbusandcoach.com/bus-timetables

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1943
  • -Receive: 230
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
Whilst out on foot this morning five Citi 1s and four Citi 3s passed me in either direction. I appreciate this observation is merely subjective & few buses have many passengers on mid morning particularly towards the end or beginning of a route. However the most I saw was three passengers on any one vehicle; it was usually one, two or none. Difficult to see how a 10 minute frequency can be justified off peak in the current situation.

Moreover, the long-term viability of smaller operators – and of some routes of larger operators – will be at risk without urgent and decisive central government action.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline linkyyork

• Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 10:32:26 AM »
The worst is yet to come when things return to normal and the bills come in.
The government has made statements without any thought of the consequences  and have now been forced to offer unprecedented payments to cover it and they will not be free.
This is taxpayers money which will have to be replaced to cover normal day to day things.
So it will be a wait and see but the virus will be used as excuse for lots of things we might not like to happen but will accept because of it.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
The worst is yet to come when things return to normal and the bills come in.
The government has made statements without any thought of the consequences  and have now been forced to offer unprecedented payments to cover it and they will not be free.
This is taxpayers money which will have to be replaced to cover normal day to day things.
So it will be a wait and see but the virus will be used as excuse for lots of things we might not like to happen but will accept because of it.

Personal view: This lot (in government) are never inclined to let a good crisis go to waste, if they can turn it to their advantage in any way...
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline linkyyork

• Thank You
  • -Given: 70
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 12:58:33 PM »
TC offering support to operators - hope the link works

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKOTC/bulletins/281cb59

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 77
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »
This is very unscientific, but might be of passing interest.

On the last Friday of a "normal" weekday service in and around Cambridge (temporary - reduced - timetables are being rolled out from tomorrow) I tried to capture, in the 2-3 mins around 17.00, running times of all of the buses operating in the Cambridge area and within the nearby ring of villages (e.g. Bar Hill, Histon, Cambourne, Harston). I used the SmartCambridge bus map for this. Of course, it's none too easy, as the buses will keep moving (!) and it's easy both to miss the odd one or to double count. I deliberately excluded those that were sitting at the terminus, or at a known layover point (they show up on the map as being "in service" but 0 secs early/late).

So in this most unusual of Friday rush hours:

8 buses were more than 2 mins late. Mostly no more than 3, but a couple more than that.

11 buses were more than 2 mins early.

22 buses were within 2 mins either side of "on time".

Yet more evidence - to add to Whippet's report
https://twitter.com/GoWhippet/status/1240984407445581824[/u]]https://twitter.com/GoWhippet/status/1240984407445581824
that the reduction in traffic on Cambridge's roads resulted in the Universal service persistently running early - that public transport can function very effectively when it isn't caught up in other peoples' traffic jams...

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 12:16:52 PM »
Running early is never acceptable.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You