Author Topic: January 2021 service cuts - Greater Anglia  (Read 420 times)

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 226
January 2021 service cuts - Greater Anglia
« on: January 20, 2021, 08:27:11 PM »
No idea how you find it on their website, but the link from their newsletter points here:

Greater Anglia

For Cambridge it means no fast services to London, Norwich 2-hourly off peak, and Ipswich reduced to 2 trains every three hours (wut?) with the missing trains including the obvious commuter services to and away from Cambridge.

I feel like my way of cutting a train from the Ipswich services would have been to turn Ipswich - Peterborough into Ipswich - Ely, or to even drop it completely.

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 105
  • -Receive: 351
Re: January 2021 service cuts - Greater Anglia
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 09:17:57 PM »
I feel like my way of cutting a train from the Ipswich services would have been to turn Ipswich - Peterborough into Ipswich - Ely, or to even drop it completely.

That would leave Manea and Whittlesey with no service at all

Offline SURREYMAN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:20:24 PM »

I wonder about a 'post covid world' where demand for London commuting is much reduced and how this would impact on Anglia with its "All New Train fleet" 
Central Government is clearly going to be looking to cut costs in the form of frequency reduction and possibly train unit lengths.
As Anglia will sometime soon have an All-New fleet there will be no old fleets to retire (317s & 321 replacement already accounted for).
What chance some new trains might be cancelled? Cancellation penalties might be the cheaper option?

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 226
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 03:19:31 AM »
I'm sure alternative calls at Manea and Whittlesey could be arranged?  (Though maybe not - it appears that some routes are going to have better services on Sunday than during the week, for reasons that are not clear but suggest bureaucracy ruling!)

I think very almost all of GAs new trains have now been delivered (and the rest are surely in such a late stage of production that cancelling them wouldn't be worthwhile)?  If something were to be cascaded to replace older trains somewhere else then I can't imagine any other part of the country wants the unique (and seemingly quirky) Stadlers, so that would mean that there could be some Aventras (which are / will be used in other parts of the country) spare? 

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 105
  • -Receive: 351
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 10:46:27 PM »
I'm sure alternative calls at Manea and Whittlesey could be arranged?  (Though maybe not - it appears that some routes are going to have better services on Sunday than during the week, for reasons that are not clear but suggest bureaucracy ruling!)

I think very almost all of GAs new trains have now been delivered (and the rest are surely in such a late stage of production that cancelling them wouldn't be worthwhile)?  If something were to be cascaded to replace older trains somewhere else then I can't imagine any other part of the country wants the unique (and seemingly quirky) Stadlers, so that would mean that there could be some Aventras (which are / will be used in other parts of the country) spare?

Think they have nearly all been delivered however not all in service though

I did read somewhere that GA have either taken some out of service or held fire on entering them in service and opted to recall the 317s

I know there are quite a lot of 317s still running out of Cambridge not to mention they have taken back some of the London Overground units as well