Author Topic: Cambridge Metro  (Read 596 times)

Offline Steves

• Thank You
  • -Given: 809
  • -Receive: 184
Cambridge Metro
« on: March 20, 2021, 10:57:40 PM »
I thought we ought to include this on the Forum. It is, after all, bus rapid transit despite what the Mayor says.

CAPCA has just put up three concepts - two of which include on grade options - isn't that strange? Some interesting ideas and some that are just??

https://cam-metro.co.uk/conceptual-designs/

Enjoy!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 484
Re: Cambridge Metro
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 09:26:18 AM »
Mayor Palmer's 'White Elephant'  I wonder what will happen if he fails to get re elected (which is most likely). All he has done on his watch is talked about it and spent millions in consultant fees.

Online Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 166
  • -Receive: 232
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 05:43:40 PM »
It's incredible.  There is list of existing public transport technologies that are known to work (including the excellent and practical suggestions by GCP), and to a great extent it doesn't matter which of them we use as the only wrong answer is to do nothing.

Yet here we are, dreaming about technology that doesn't exist instead of doing something!

But that's not even the most short-changed anywhere got.  St Neots got a longer X5 route instead of a busway from Cambourne!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3030
  • -Receive: 277
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 11:39:31 AM »
LATEST!

Preferred design revealed...

TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 484
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 01:05:57 PM »
Frankly there is little choice in candidates for the up coming Mayor election. Palmer for Conservatives, Aidan Van de Weyer, Liberal Democrats & Nik Johnson, Labour , so not much choice there and the manifesto of the 'challengers' is frankly very vague on transport,  although Van de Weyer says "We must create green transport options that offer a realistic alternative to the car – not James Palmer’s imaginary tunnels underneath Cambridge"  The Labour  & Lib Dem Candidates would face an uphill struggle with the Conservative Government if elected. One would have thought the Conservatives would have put forward an alternative candidate to Palmer! see https://www.elystandard.co.uk/news/meet-mayoral-candidates-interviews-6867726
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:07:46 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline Elsworth Fox

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »
I haven't studied the three proposals in detail but have noted the eyewatering cost of each.  I don't believe that in view of the current national financial position, it seems likely any could be afforded in the short term.  I suspect that Palmer will be re-elected on the back of the 'vaccine bounce' that the Conservatives are benefitting from.  Should that happen, I don't think much will happen in the short term, except more consultants will be employed at ever increasing cost.  I was interested to read in 'Rail' magazine, writers questioning the high cost of the Soham station.  Keeping costs down doesn't seem to bother him.

Offline Palatine

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 152
  • -Receive: 186
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 02:13:05 PM »
I haven't studied the three proposals in detail but have noted the eyewatering cost of each.  I don't believe that in view of the current national financial position, it seems likely any could be afforded in the short term.  I suspect that Palmer will be re-elected on the back of the 'vaccine bounce' that the Conservatives are benefitting from.  Should that happen, I don't think much will happen in the short term, except more consultants will be employed at ever increasing cost.  I was interested to read in 'Rail' magazine, writers questioning the high cost of the Soham station.  Keeping costs down doesn't seem to bother him.

When I worked at a company with a few open-ended funding contracts with clients, the term "OPM" (Other People's Money) was regularly banded about by our manager with regards to all and any capital costs. Mayor Palmer seems to have the same approach as my manager did in that regard.

I prefer TCD's proposal, above. It even runs on a track!