Author Topic: SCC ask for bus stops to be removed from superstore plan  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
SCC ask for bus stops to be removed from superstore plan
« on: July 10, 2008, 01:57:27 PM »
SCC according to todays Haverhill Echo have asked for plans for bus stops as part of the new Tesco site to be removed, forcing people to carry shopping an additional 400 yards to the bus station.

Doesn't seem very joined up, pro-public transport to me. Couldn't see this being asked for if it was Cambridge.

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
Re: SCC ask for bus stops to be removed from superstore plan
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 04:31:38 PM »
The bus stops would probably mean fewer car parking spaces - We can't have that, can we ?  :-\

Offline harz99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 0
  • Former 1940's petrol engine Canadian Ford in NZ
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »
I don't know the area or level of bus usage, but if going onto the supermarket site is going to add several minutes extra to a journey, you probably have your answer - especially if services are on council contract for which operators will want extra cash for a diversion etc.

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »
I don't know the area or level of bus usage, but if going onto the supermarket site is going to add several minutes extra to a journey, you probably have your answer - especially if services are on council contract for which operators will want extra cash for a diversion etc.

From the plans I have seen the works involved would require a small change of route for the Stagecoach in Cambridge 13/13A services to Cambridge which would pass direct past the store.

I also believe that the services to Bury St. Edmunds and Newmarket would similarly be diverted. The Stagecoach in Cambridge 16 service would also be likely to be diverted in a similar way.