Author Topic: Cambridgeshire service changes from 16 August 2021  (Read 654 times)

Offline HughT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 102
  • -Receive: 141
Cambridgeshire service changes from 16 August 2021
« on: August 09, 2021, 03:36:30 PM »
As noted in various operator-specific threads in this Forum, a number of changes to supported services in Cambridgeshire are due to come into effect from Monday 16 August. I've been unable to find any publicity regarding this on the CPCA website. So I thought it worth posting what I've managed to collate thus far. If anyone has corrections to this list below, please post here. And if you can fill in any of the gaps, please do the same. Finally, who knows whether the operator changes involve changes to the timetables. So again, if you know anything about this, please share (I can't find new timetables in bustimes.org or on Traveline).

Operator changes:

1A Dew TO A2B
8 Whippet TO Myall
15 (St Ives) Dew TO A2B
15 (Royston) Myall TO A2B
22 Dew TO ??
46 BGB/Star TO A2B
110 BGB/Star to Mil-Ken
117 A2B TO ??
203 Lord's TO Mil-Ken
400 Whippet TO Dew
401 Whippet TO Dew
415 Dew TO ??
C2 Myall TO ??

Notes/Comments:

The 22 might have been cancelled in favour of the V2. But that would leave Woodhurst without any buses. And what about the Saturday version of the 22, which also provides villages from Needingworth to Somersham with their only Saturday services?

I'm puzzled by the 117. The 114 is listed in N&P for route and timetable revisions from the same date, and I'm wondering whether the 114 and 117 could somehow be combined to use only one vehicle and driver (without being able to work out quite how this would work...).

Thanks for any assistance (I'm preparing a blog post for Cambridge Area Bus Users).

Offline pbt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 37
    • Peterborough Bus Times
Re: Cambridgeshire service changes from 16 August 2021
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 09:21:54 PM »
I was told on July 25th by a Dews driver that they had been asked to continue running the 415 for now pending a new operator being found.

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 11:24:59 PM »
A2B tweeted an outline of their changes earlier this evening. So it's clearer what's happening re the 117. But there are no new timetables as yet on the A2B website.

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 176
  • -Receive: 263
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 01:31:55 AM »
I'd never noticed that that 31 had been cut back to Addies - that was a terrible change!  It's surely better to leave buses wasting time caught in traffic and run a slightly less frequent service than to make people have to make a worrying connection onto a wretchedly infrequent bus?  Or at least tell people to change at Trumpington P&R, and that the return buses will wait for the first busway service to leave Cambridge after X times?

As A2B were always straightforward and open in their communication it seems a shame to see them call a 25% service cut great news, and to infer that there's been an improvement.  It may on balance be a sensible choice by the CPCA, and I get that it goes to extra useful places, and it's perhaps dubious whether there was value in that number of buses leaving within only a short period of the day.  But it's still a further 25% cut on a route that's already seen a few. 

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 08:03:25 AM »
As someone who occasionally had to catch the 31 to go visit a friend in Newton, and was usually aiming to make the 11.55 ex-Hospital, I can vouch for just how tricky it was to work out how much time to allow to get out to the Hospital. It's not as though you want to arrive at the Hospital Bus Station *too* early, given the wealth of facilities... Similarly, the off-peak Royston service used Trumpington P&R as its terminus for a while (but no longer, fortunately). The issue with outbound "connections" (I use the term in the loosest sense) will crop up again if the idea of transferring passengers to smaller shuttle-style vehicles/services close to the city centre ever makes it beyond the chattering stage.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 589
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 09:14:55 AM »
I'd never noticed that that 31 had been cut back to Addies - that was a terrible change!  It's surely better to leave buses wasting time caught in traffic and run a slightly less frequent service than to make people have to make a worrying connection onto a wretchedly infrequent bus?  Or at least tell people to change at Trumpington P&R, and that the return buses will wait for the first busway service to leave Cambridge after X times?

As A2B were always straightforward and open in their communication it seems a shame to see them call a 25% service cut great news, and to infer that there's been an improvement.  It may on balance be a sensible choice by the CPCA, and I get that it goes to extra useful places, and it's perhaps dubious whether there was value in that number of buses leaving within only a short period of the day.  But it's still a further 25% cut on a route that's already seen a few.

Barry where have you been? the 31 service has been cut back to Addenbrookes for all inward journeys other than the first one of the day from Barley for some years now. Like wise only two, the 16.10 & 18.20 return journeys start from Drummer Street.  The reasoning is that passenger numbers do not warrant a through service. As it is the Fowlmere - Addenbrookes service is very little used and the mainly by a few pensioners travelling from Hauxton & Little Shelford, to Gt Shelford for shopping, and to Addenbrookes Hospital.  Any one wanting the city centre does not have to wait long at Addenbrookes for a connecting Stagecoach bus onwards to city centre.
A2B's notification of service changes https://twitter.com/a2btravelgroup/status/1424829904298856454/photo/1 does not give an updated time table, but from what they say it looks as though some  31 journeys will continue as the 114 from Addenbrookes. Not sure how that will effect the 31 return journeys from Addenbrooks if the bus has gone onto the 114, unless an incoming 114 continues to Fowlmere as a 31.
I can see that the GCP want make changes that will increase patronage and give better coverage, but the fact is that most of the villages served Fowlmere, Thriplow, Newton, Hauxton and Little Shelford are 'dormatory' villages, with only the pensioners there in the day to use a bus. Myself and Steve Edmundson spent many hours replacing lost or faded bus stop flags and refurbishing timetable cases with new timetables, but it had little effect. Obviously Covid came along and really decimated patronage, I dont see that returning any time soon. I dont know what the answer is.

Further to writing the above I have looked up the new timetables on Bustimes.org (just put in a date post 16th August and they are displayed) The 31 timetable remains the same but the 114 has been re timed to aline with the 31 for 3 inward journeys the 1015 1145 1315 from Addenbrookes and 3 outward 0930 1100 1200 from Chesterton with a 10 min wait (assuming bus is on time) at Addenbrookes for the onward journeys to Fowlmere.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:01:35 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 09:09:45 AM »
Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread. I've put together a post for CABU:
https://cbgbususers.wordpress.com/2021/08/11/changes-to-cpca-supported-services-from-16th-august/

I find it quite shocking that there's still so much we don't know about the changes when they're only 5 days away. I've been unable to find any information at all on the CPCA website. And most of the timetables aren't on bustimes.org or Traveline.

Or perhaps some of the planned changes have been cancelled (and not just the 415)?

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
Thanks to those who have contributed to this thread. I've put together a post for CABU:
https://cbgbususers.wordpress.com/2021/08/11/changes-to-cpca-supported-services-from-16th-august/

I find it quite shocking that there's still so much we don't know about the changes when they're only 5 days away. I've been unable to find any information at all on the CPCA website. And most of the timetables aren't on bustimes.org or Traveline.

Or perhaps some of the planned changes have been cancelled (and not just the 415)?

The changes are shown on Bustimes.org you need to put in a travel date of 16th August or later. I am surprised though that A2B have nothing on their web page, only twitter.

Also the times for the 114 Sat service are not the same as weekday service, and Sat service is still provided by Big Green Bus. So no through journeys via 31 are possible even by changing bus, they dont line up, other than the 0930 departure at Addenbrookes. But the incoming 31 and 114 departure are same time so if 31 is a minute late you will miss the connection. There is no Chesterton extention to 114 on a Sat. !!!!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 09:12:40 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline Barry

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2021, 08:58:37 PM »

Yes.  It seems slightly abusive to take advantage of a change in time limits that related the realities of service provision in lockdown in relation to changes that clearly have nothing to do with that!

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 11:43:55 PM »

The changes are shown on Bustimes.org you need to put in a travel date of 16th August or later. I am surprised though that A2B have nothing on their web page, only twitter.

So far as bustimes.org is concerned (and I think the same goes for Traveline) that statement is true only for certain of the services that are changing next week. There are no A2B times for either the Haslingfield or Over service 15, or the 46. There's no indication that the 117 ceases to run after Friday. No Dews timetables for the 400/401. No indication that Myalls cease to operate the Haslingfield 15, and Dew's the Over 15 from next week. No Mil-Ken timetables. No way of telling whether the 22 or C2 continue to operate after this week or are cancelled (as was originally announced in N&P). That's quite a lot that we still don't know - and the changes are due to take effect in 96 hours' time...

Offline Barry

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2021, 12:33:10 AM »
And bustimes.org isn't, bless it, and for whatever reason, really something that you can totally rely on for journey planning with certainty!

The X2/3, for example are I think currently better than they've ever been, but still not right.

And as for https://bustimes.org/services/a-trumpington-pr-huntingdon  :o

Offline HughT

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2021, 09:29:02 AM »
Nor is the CPCA's Journey Planner. It's currently telling me that the 117 is operating next Monday!

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2021, 09:36:57 AM »
Nor is the CPCA's Journey Planner. It's currently telling me that the 117 is operating next Monday!

A total shambles on behalf of the CPCA. How on earth do they expect to gain the public's confidence in local bus services. They should have launched a publicity campaign outlying these changes.  A2B are printing & funding their own timetables, no help from CPCA for these. Brian Clifford A2B MD tells me that the combining of the weekday 31 & 114  services was his initiative. The Saturday 114 is apparently contracted to Big Green Bus (Now Star Cars) by Cambridge City Council so cant be brought into line with the Mon to Friday service. A crazy situation lead by politics.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:17:16 PM by John Wakefield »

Offline busman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 221
    • The Wakefield Files
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 05:16:52 PM »
The new 8 bus stop on Arbury Road about 18 months too late!
Never ask a dustman to talk shop.
He will only talk a load of rubbish!