Author Topic: Staff List Button - 5 times!  (Read 2857 times)

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 55
    • Flickr
Staff List Button - 5 times!
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:59:31 PM »
Don't know if this is a problem just for me but at the top where the buttons are above the header it reads
Home Help Search Admin Profile My Messages Calendar Members Contact Staff List Staff List Staff List Contact Staff List Logout!

Have attached a screenshot. Am using Firefox
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support

Offline hitchinbus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Staff List Button - 5 times!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
Mine is exactly the same and I am not using firefox

Offline gc802002

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:10:51 PM »
I Dont even have a Staff List Icon at all?

Offline Martin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:25:17 PM »
Hi

This is a problem and Suzy, myself and Rob are all aware of it. It is a selective problem and to our test user account doesn't appear.

It is being looked at and we do hope to be able to resolve it soon.

Thanks for letting us know.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 589
    • ScotBus
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:39 AM »
Do you remember the Friday afternoon I spent optimizing the boards? The problem came down to the fact that the installation here was on a different language to others i.e. English-UTF8/English.
http://angliabusforum.com/index.php?topic=283.0

Anyway, in order to get this to work, and hoping to get the email system to work properly (notice we've not had any email trolls joining since I installed it... hmm... wonder why!?!), I had to reinstall Staff List and Contact. These, like SMF itself, is all 'open-source' software - that is, anyone can work on it, and they are part of the team equally. Some third-party groups create various mods and hacks, and as ever, these open source products are provided 'as is' - meaning that you get the software, and bug fixes/reports are welcome, but there is not a team of support agents in a call centre somewhere going 'we don't support that'... etc.

So... this is why it shows up many times.

Why does it show up? You might think there is a reference to it. If you see it, your browser is looking for it, when it is not there, and it adds to the error log at the server 'farm'. If you don't see it - no problems, as it should not be there in the first place.

I have gone into the apt lines of the source code, and do not find the references which are showing up in the error logs.

I did post to the SMFHacks support forum, don't think I got a reply to it.

So, yes we are aware how bad it looks, and I can't see it (we've just upgraded from OS 10.4.x to 10.5.x and have Firefox and Safari running). A few members have kindly sent screenshots, which have assisted with the diagnosing of the issue.

It may require a new install of SMF, but I will be able to move everything, so we won't (or should not) lose anything.

I am also investigating TinyPortal, but haven't done a lot with it. This is to put a more 'human-friendly' front end on the Forum. What I'm suggesting is that it will be necessary to back up and relocate the server to install TP (to avoid losing the lot). That is a VERY time consuming task (after getting home at 2200 UK Time one night from work, an American friend asked me to move her board for her... think we had it licked by 0500 UK time, when she said she had to get to bed!!) so will take a while, and may result in an hour or two of downtime. As a result, I'm not going to rush into anything right now. I'm also now back at work doing more than I was when I started these things. They are on 'the list', but I don't want to run the Forum into the ground before I know what will and will not work.

If that still doesn't make sense to anyone, please feel free to ask.

Regards
Suzy (The Admin, and the reason we're all in this bloody mess  ;D :D ;) !)

Offline samw

• Forum Technical Support
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 55
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Suzy

I just wondered if it was my computer causing issues because I know not all sites are Firefox friendly!

I remember I once had a PHPBB which I applied addons too and I had to reinstall the entire thingy about 4 times with hacks before everything worked!

SW
Sam Wickham
Forum Technical Support