Author Topic: AL SOTD Autumn 2009  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 588
    • ScotBus
AL SOTD Autumn 2009
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
Re: AL SOTD Autumn 2009
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
Cross-border TfL Service 313 (Potters Bar - Enfield - Chingford) was a mix of DLA's (DAF/ALX400) and DAF/Wright Cadets yesterday, plus Enviro200 ENL19, seen here at Enfield Church Street and Chingford Station.

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:50:43 PM »
Are short workings ok to put down on here (i.e. a 20 to Loughton when it usually operates to Debden) ?.

Short workings are far more common btw on TfL services, than bus services in, say, East Anglia.

On TfL cross-border service 20 (Debden to Walthamstow) I saw a short working to Loughton, aswell as to Woodford Wells and to Woodford Green.

A DWL (Wright Cadet) on TfL cross-border service 397 (Debden to South Chingford). Service is usually operated by W-reg ADLs (ALX200s).

An interesting note on the W-reg ADLs. They used to operate Arriva East Herts & Essex (who used to operate TfL services 397, 549, W13, W14), until they passed to Arriva London to operate routes 397 and W14. They are very rare in London in the fact that the blinds are still the same from bought new, they have destination in capitals with via point above, instead of TfL spec simple location (i.e. DEBDEN BROADWAY instead of Debden). And they are W-reg, meaning they dont have long to go in terms of TfL life span.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:56:44 PM »
And they are W-reg, meaning they dont have long to go in terms of TfL life span.
What are the TfL age constraints then? I saw a London General P reg Pointer Dart in Central London last time I visited. Seen here on the street outside VCS whatever its called. (And yes, I know its not an Arriva bus, but I figured I might as well include the photo)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:01:28 PM by Adam D »

Offline alex397

• Thank You
  • -Given: 84
  • -Receive: 31
    • My Flickr Page!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
I dont think there is a TfL age constraint (I think there are guidelines which say buses shouldn't really be over 10 years, but this isnt really important, which is why there are still a few R/S/T reg buses around, P-reg is quite rare in London these days!)
Anyway, what I meant in the earlier post was that many buses dont have a long life span in London. (Docklands Buses got rid of thier 02-reg Dennis Dart/Caentano's in 2007, and many of the 02-reg PVLs and EVLs have gone from London General/Central)

What is also interesting about the W-reg ADLs is that they are in such good condition, when most London buses that are over 2-3 years are not usually in the best of conditions.

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
I think the average age profile for buses in London was suggested to be seven years, although this might have changed.

Offline Suzy Scott

• Administrator
  • Thank You
    • ScotBus
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »
What are the TfL age constraints then? I saw a London General P reg Pointer Dart in Central London last time I visited. Seen here on the street outside VCS whatever its called. (And yes, I know its not an Arriva bus, but I figured I might as well include the photo)

Each route is different and is initally tendered on the basis of "new" buses, although older ones may be included as an option.
The one you snapped on the C10 is not a usual working, the newer ones I think are 52 plate for that route. There is a reason for those ones staying, which escapes me for now. I know LG/LC have just traded in some old single door Darts for dual-door ex-Metroline ones, which was apparently for some contractual remit. Dave S will hopefully be able to explain better than me, please?
Thanks
Suzy