Author Topic: Hw3 accident  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 134
Hw3 accident
« on: February 24, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
HW3 was pictured on the front of the Evening Standard this evening, having crashed into railings at Monument station while on a southbound 141. Apparently there were injured passengers, hopefully not serious.

It then dawned on me that only the day before, I'd been spending my lunchtime armed with cameraphone leaning on precisely those railings trying to get a clear view of HW3 on a southbound 141...  :o

Adam Dowling

Re: Hw3 accident
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
Looking at where the railing ended up it was probably just as well you were there the day before :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8534812.stm

Offline J621BVG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 4
  • J621BVG
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »
That's pretty nasty. Lucky you wern't there. How long do you think HW3 is going to be gone for?
East Londoner

Offline Julia_Hayward

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 134
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Difficult to say - I guess it depends on whether the damage is bodywork only or the underframe has been bent or twisted, in the latter case it might even be off to a scrapper.

Adam Dowling

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:12:55 PM »
From what I can see in the picture, the visible bits of the underframe seem to be okay. Both windscreen pillars have snapped and the platform is folded up against the wheelarch, but as its a relatively new vehicle being used for testing purposes and is on loan ??? from Wrightbus I'd hazard a guess at repair rather than scrapping.

Offline Derrick Pancel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 01:30:18 AM »
I recall a Cambus Northern Counties-bodied Olympian (was it 14509 F509 NJE ??) that suffered a similar amount of front end damage on the A1303 - It featured in the Cambridge Evening News, but was repaired and returned to service.

Given the low age of 'HW3' I would think that unless there is a significant amount of chassis damage, it would not be beyond economic repair - Call me cynical, but an insurance company would be reluctant to pay out for a bus to be written off.