Author Topic: new x5 coaches  (Read 44598 times)

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3848
  • -Receive: 332
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: new x5 coaches
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
On a related X5 topic,  is the route going onto Domestic hours? First part registered - only other change is Bed 2 from the same day.

PF0000459/195 - CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD, CAMBRIDGE, CB4 0DN
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: St Neots
Finish Point: Milton Keynes
Via:
Service Number: X5
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 04-JAN-2015
Other Details: Monday to Sunday every 30 mins

More from Suzy's post N&P 2193 for East of England Traffic Area

Quote from: OFFICE OF THE TRAFFIC COMMISSIONER (EAST OF ENGLAND), 2193 East of EnglandN&P20141121093710.rtf
Section 3.1 – Registration of New Services
PF0000459/195
CAMBUS LTD T/A STAGECOACH IN CAMBRIDGE, 100 COWLEY ROAD  CAMBRIDGE CB4 0DN
To: Milton Keynes
Via:
Name or No: X5
Effective Date: 04-Jan-2015

PF0000459/196
To: Buckingham
Via:

PF0000459/197
To: Oxford
Via:

Section 3.3 – Applications to Vary Existing Services
PF0000459/142
Operating between Cambridge and St Neots given service number X5 effective from 04-Jan-2015. To amend Route and Timetable.

So, we now have the route split into four sections, all registered under Stagecoach East (Cambus Ltd)

Does this imply driver changes at St Neots, Milton Keynes and Buckingham rather than at Bedford as currently?
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 94
  • -Receive: 468
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »
More from Suzy's post N&P 2193 for East of England Traffic Area

So, we now have the route split into four sections, all registered under Stagecoach East (Cambus Ltd)

Does this imply driver changes at St Neots, Milton Keynes and Buckingham rather than at Bedford as currently?
Sorry to say thats not the case. I think you'll find its to solve the problem of X5 driver shortage due to holidays or sickness. If a regular X5 driver goes sick, at the last minute, it causes control room staff problems in covering the duty with a driver who has a Digicard [Digital Tachograph Card]. Several drivers, of late, don't wear the normal X5 driver uniform, which suggests they are being called on to operate the X5, at short notice, to cover sickness &/or holidays. Licencing the X5 route under 4 licences (route lengths of less than 50Km) obviates the need for using a Tachograph, and so brings the X5 under Domestic Driving Rules. Therefore any driver, without a Digicard, can operate the service.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »
There's a big Xmas Present, containing  EIGHTEEN parts, coming to the X5 !! Keep your eyes peeled !!

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2014, 09:31:08 PM »
Sorry to say thats not the case. I think you'll find its to solve the problem of X5 driver shortage due to holidays or sickness. If a regular X5 driver goes sick, at the last minute, it causes control room staff problems in covering the duty with a driver who has a Digicard [Digital Tachograph Card]. Several drivers, of late, don't wear the normal X5 driver uniform, which suggests they are being called on to operate the X5, at short notice, to cover sickness &/or holidays. Licencing the X5 route under 4 licences (route lengths of less than 50Km) obviates the need for using a Tachograph, and so brings the X5 under Domestic Driving Rules. Therefore any driver, without a Digicard, can operate the service.

Alot of new driver's havent received the uniform!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »
Alot of new driver's havent received the uniform!
I think you'll find that its more to do with the fact that your "new drivers" are covering for absent X5 drivers !

stagecoach106

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
Coaches are showing up at bedford three there already.  Nice blue livery screen shot below taken from public fb page
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:54:26 PM by Ninja »

Offline Palatine

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 164
  • -Receive: 231
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Hopefully they will look better once the vinyls are applied, that light blue is going to show up road dirt really easily!

Still wonder if they are going to amend the route through Buckingham due to their increased length.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2014, 08:42:52 PM »
Coaches are showing up at bedford three there already.  Nice blue livery screen shot below taken from public fb page
There's a big Xmas Present, containing  EIGHTEEN parts, coming to the X5 !! Keep your eyes peeled !!
See what I meant ?? The batch will be 54301-18 YX64WCD/E/F/G/J/K/L/M/N/O/P/V/W/Y/Z,WDA/C/D. All are expected by 12th Dec.

Anybody guessed what the significance of the dual-blue livery is ?? Light Blue of Cambridge Univ/Dark Blue of Oxford Univ ??
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:53:12 PM by Habbinman »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2014, 08:58:11 PM »
[...] Anybody guessed what the significance of the dual-blue livery is ?? Light Blue of Cambridge Univ/Dark Blue of Oxford Univ ??

Groan! Cliché alert!
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

stagecoach106

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
good job they didnt put the orange on it at back .............

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 320
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2014, 02:11:18 AM »
While I think more smaller vehicles would have been better... those are quite nice.  I like the colouring; really smart.  (But the fact the photo hasn't come out near the first of April is totally a missed opportunity for an April fools story re Whippet taking over the route!)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:13:14 AM by barryb »

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
While I think more smaller vehicles would have been better... those are quite nice.  I like the colouring; really smart.  (But the fact the photo hasn't come out near the first of April is totally a missed opportunity for an April fools story re Whippet taking over the route!)
Please don't get misled by the picture of the Bluebird Holidays example, as it does NOT belong to Stagecoach. I think Ninja just put it in as an illustration as to how they can look!

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Driver Training on the NEW X5 coaches has begun today with 54303/7  YX64WCF/L being used.  They had been seen earlier in the day, but I saw both of them within 5 mins of each other, going through Eaton Socon & over the river into St Neots Mkt Sq at about 1705/10 tonight. So, it seems that Management have said training must also occur during the dark hours, to give the drivers the best familiarisation of these much longer coaches. I was told the third one was being used for Engineering Training at Bedford.

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 320
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
Driver Training on the NEW X5 coaches has begun today with 54303/7  YX64WCF/L being used.  They had been seen earlier in the day, but I saw both of them within 5 mins of each other, going through Eaton Socon & over the river into St Neots Mkt Sq at about 1705/10 tonight. So, it seems that Management have said training must also occur during the dark hours, to give the drivers the best familiarisation of these much longer coaches. I was told the third one was being used for Engineering Training at Bedford.

I was referring to the picture in post 65, which looks even more Whippet-ish!

Offline Palatine

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 164
  • -Receive: 231
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2014, 10:53:21 PM »
Thought that livery reminded me of something.  8)

Offline Leyland L60

• Thank You
  • -Given: 288
  • -Receive: 96
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »
Ninja  -  thanks for the first picture of the new X5 B11R coaches, but they have Plaxton Elite bodies not Elite i (Interdeck). I have to say that, as stunning a design as the Elite is, and they will turn a lot of heads when they go into service, I feel that Stagecoach East is missing a trick here. The soon-to-be-replaced 58-plate B9Rs are 12.2 metres long and have 49 seats and the Elites are 14 metres and 57 seats. I thought the X5 has a problem with capacity, and yet we have new coaches that are considerably longer, and therefore more likely to suffer body damage, that have just eight more seats! If East had gone for the 14-metre Interdeck we would be looking at about 68 seats and a very considerably reduced loading time for wheelchairs as it has a low-floor entrance instead of having to deploy the expensive and time-consuming Magic Floor platform. All right, there are more internal steps in the Interdeck and I am aware that the X5 has frequent stops on some sections e.g. Eaton Socon, but overall I feel that the capacity problems of the route will not be solved with eight more seats per vehicle. As someone posted weeks ago on this subject, would we not have been better increasing the frequency (every 20 minutes?) and keep to the existing vehicle length?

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 160
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2014, 08:11:49 AM »
Ninja  -  thanks for the first picture of the new X5 B11R coaches, but they have Plaxton Elite bodies not Elite i (Interdeck). I have to say that, as stunning a design as the Elite is, and they will turn a lot of heads when they go into service, I feel that Stagecoach East is missing a trick here. The soon-to-be-replaced 58-plate B9Rs are 12.2 metres long and have 49 seats and the Elites are 14 metres and 57 seats. I thought the X5 has a problem with capacity, and yet we have new coaches that are considerably longer, and therefore more likely to suffer body damage, that have just eight more seats! If East had gone for the 14-metre Interdeck we would be looking at about 68 seats and a very considerably reduced loading time for wheelchairs as it has a low-floor entrance instead of having to deploy the expensive and time-consuming Magic Floor platform. All right, there are more internal steps in the Interdeck and I am aware that the X5 has frequent stops on some sections e.g. Eaton Socon, but overall I feel that the capacity problems of the route will not be solved with eight more seats per vehicle. As someone posted weeks ago on this subject, would we not have been better increasing the frequency (every 20 minutes?) and keep to the existing vehicle length?
It almost looks like the people in Stagecoach aren't talking to each other, from reading reports it appeared that Stagecoach East rejected the Elite I as at the time Plaxton were only building it as a 15-metre which was too long for a number of aspects of the route.  However since then Stagecoach have ordered some 14-metre versions for Scotland East which would have offered a possibly better alternative, it's surprising Stagecoach Head Office didn't merge the two orders.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »
It almost looks like the people in Stagecoach aren't talking to each other, from reading reports it appeared that Stagecoach East rejected the Elite I as at the time Plaxton were only building it as a 15-metre which was too long for a number of aspects of the route.  However since then Stagecoach have ordered some 14-metre versions for Scotland East which would have offered a possibly better alternative, it's surprising Stagecoach Head Office didn't merge the two orders.
It WAS the intention of Stagecoach Head Office to ORIGINALLY order 8 Interdecks for East Scotland & 18 for East (Total 26), but as you rightly say, somebody had other ideas !!

Also, just to point out that it wasn't actually Ninja's picture, but one (by courtesy) from Facebook..United Counties Past, Present & UK buses, who mis-captioned it as an Elite i , in error !!.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2014, 08:20:28 PM »
Tonight's training foray (at same time as yesterday) produced only the one coach, 54307 YX64WCL, seen in Eaton Socon heading towards Cambridge. I never saw any others, so as far as I know, it was just only the one!

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2014, 08:22:33 PM »
Thought that livery reminded me of something.

I just lurve that 'Coastliner' branding: Leeds – Tadcaster – York!

Just where do we get to have a paddle?

Offline Suzy Scott

• Suzy, Nuisance of the Coach Park
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 610
    • ScotBus
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2014, 10:23:09 AM »
I just lurve that 'Coastliner' branding: Leeds – Tadcaster – York!

Just where do we get to have a paddle?

This is the branding for the short journeys. About 4-5 years ago if I mind right, the boss of Coastliner was poached by First York, who then introduced a  30 minute service between those points. It was a failure, but the combat buses introduced (to boost Coastliner service to 4bph) remain to this day.
Suzy Scott
Dundee, Scotland, UK
Forum Administrator (and founder) of A&TVBF and DABF

NEW SITE = Suzy's Old Timetable Archive http://suzysoldtimetables.co.uk/
Bus Photos  https://www.flickr.com/photos/suzyscottdotcom/

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
Whilst i was having my afternoon break, WCL stormed through madingley road

stagecoach106

« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »
Whilst i was having my afternoon break, WCL stormed through madingley road

Wcl on whippet plate and blue too

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2014, 08:34:06 PM »
one is currently sitting in Cowley road, presumably to be liveried?

stagecoach106

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2014, 08:34:43 PM »
Others are at stagecoach Ely depot.

Offline Habbinman

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2014, 10:04:59 PM »
Others are at stagecoach Ely depot.
PDIs at Volvo, Ely & for temp storage until they're needed in service at Bedford.
one is currently sitting in Cowley road, presumably to be liveried?
Being delivered to Cambridge, as there is nobody to receive, inspect & sign for them, at Ely, where they're being temp. stored.

stagecoach106

« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2014, 11:01:31 AM »
new x5 coach is going to  be in Sidney Street in Cambridge this Sunday

Offline Steven Knight Media

• Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 413
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Once the new X5 coaches enter service six of the existing fleet will be prepared for use on the former Virgin Trains Rail Link (now service 99) which links Milton Keynes and Luton Airport. The route is being enhanced at Peak times so will have an increased vehicle requirement.

Offline bedfordian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
This evening there were about a doxen of the new Elites behind Bedford Garage - does anybody know which they were (or even how many exactly there were as I could not see exactly from the bridge)?

Thanks Martin

Offline AE55DKN

• Thank You
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »
Will check to see how many there are at Ely tomorrow