Author Topic: Stagecoach customer service... again :(  (Read 307 times)

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 170
  • -Receive: 246
Stagecoach customer service... again :(
« on: May 04, 2021, 05:06:01 PM »
I used to use the bus pretty much every day, and never considered doing things any way other than giving Stagecoach money regularly until they started making me wonder about poor life choices. 

I stopped using buses within Cambridge during the days when a weekly ticket was £10, after having a £20 note refused on a Sunday caused me to cycle into town and in doing so to find out that I could do Fison Rd - Home - Collect bike - Cycle to railway station and arrive at the railway station at the exact same time as the bus I would have been on (even on a Sunday...).

The last time I used an X5 wasn't long after, when a driver was so rude that it caused me think about life and realise that StreetCar (as was) was an all round better way for more than 2 people to get to Oxford.  (Stagecoach did apologise, but in fact I gave away the voucher just before it ran out because I couldn't find a sensible way to use it.)

These days it's always bike within the city (maybe bus once a year if there's something to carry that's too much for a bike but doesn't need a car), thanks to ever more wonderful cycle paths it's increasingly bike to the first couple of rings of village outside the city, and then I now have a car for anything that's not a train job.

I made a little journey to St Neots today for my vaccination :-)  Didn't really know if driving *back* from it would be sensible, and the mayor may have messed with the X5 but it works for anyone wanting to go from Kings Hedges Rd to St Neots!  This could have been the day to show me how wonderful buses are and convert me back?

So I ask for the ticket I need for a return journey to St Neots, and they sold me a return to St Neots for £8.65.  And as I've not been on a bus for a while I thought "that's gone up a bit".

How are they going to get people onto buses if they opportunistically overcharge people that don't already use them often enough to know the special lingo for what to ask for?  The ticket they charged me for has no legitimate reason for existing other than for this purpose :(

So they won a infrequent bus user surcharge of £1.65 - and they lose an opportunity to retake some goodwill.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:44:59 PM by Barry »

Offline Coast_Hopper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 421
Re: Stagecoach customer service... again :(
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 05:23:24 PM »
Not sure why the return ticket exists, the £7 day rider would have covered your journey

Offline Barry

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
Not sure why the return ticket exists, the £7 day rider would have covered your journey

I presume it's main purpose is as a base cost for charging the government for concession fares. And to charge a not knowing the magic words supplement to infrequent users :(

Edit: Actually... Not even concession fares; that would be a single. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:45:58 PM by Barry »

Offline dwarfer1979

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 151
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:59 AM »
I presume it's main purpose is as a base cost for charging the government for concession fares. And to charge a not knowing the magic words supplement to infrequent users :(

Edit: Actually... Not even concession fares; that would be a single.
It is to do with concessionary fares, though why the return is so much higher than the day ticket is unexplainable.  Concessionary fares are calculated on a 'basket of fares' which means they use the price of a single, a return (divided by 2) & a day ticket (divided by 3 or 4 depending on local authority) to calculate the average price of trip to work out the base for the reimbursement rate (so selling a day ticket in place of a return will reduce how much they get per concessionary trip).  Many operators will only sell you a day ticket if you ask for it but normally they set a cap on the return so it isn't higher than the day ticket.

Offline Barry

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 01:07:20 PM »
@Barrybounces  Good morning .If you asked for a return this is the price.
 A dayrider plus is £7.00.

Well, I'm glad I have a choice as to whether I use them, and I pity people that dont. Shoddy little example of opportunism - not legally theft, but morally it leaves the same bad taste.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3169
  • -Receive: 290
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 05:24:34 PM »
@Barrybounces  Good morning .If you asked for a return this is the price.
 A dayrider plus is £7.00.

Well, I'm glad I have a choice as to whether I use them, and I pity people that dont. Shoddy little example of opportunism - not legally theft, but morally it leaves the same bad taste.

Cambridge Area Bus Users tweeted a reply.

Quote from: Cambridge Area Bus Users
Replying to @Barrybounces and @Stagecoach_East

Possibly returns have longer validity, but not relevant to you. Suggest better driver training at Bedford depot on always offering passengers the cheapest possible fare. We'd also like to see fare info at all bus stops. Note: in London you would've paid £1.50 each way.

You may be interested to note, Barry, that in the week commencing Monday 17 May, BBC Radio Cambridgeshire (95.7 MHz & 96.0 MHz FM, DAB and Freeview 722) are running a series on "The Future of..." This will be on the Dotty McLeod breakfast programme (6am -10am).

The series will include, work, cars, and transport which will feature buses, but I'm not sure which day that will be.

If you have an email to dotty.mcleod@bbc.co.uk prepared, or a tweet to @dottymcl about your experience and how things should improve in order to grow ridership and reduce reliance on private cars, send it in during the programme and it's likely to be read out.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.