Author Topic: Mayoralty and plans for bus services  (Read 212 times)

Offline linkyyork

• Thank You
  • -Given: 100
  • -Receive: 232
Mayoralty and plans for bus services
« on: May 09, 2021, 01:00:39 PM »
Noted that the good doctor appears to have won the election for mayor. [Moved from Stagecoach Cambridgeshire happenings 2021]

To avoid discussions about the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, the mayor, the Bus Reform Task Force and the re-allocation of BOSG within Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, taking other threads, off topic, I've started this topic.

Regards,
Richard (TCD813)

This post, on the Stagecoach Cambridgeshire Happenings 2021 is also relevant.

Edit: to explain this redirection at the head of the thread
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:51:53 AM by TCD813 »

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3174
  • -Receive: 291
  • Regards, Richard.
    • All 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c
Re: Mayoralty and plans for bus services
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »
Noted that the good doctor appears to have won the election for mayor

Indeed. Details of votes in image.

Interestingly, the graphic the graphic shows that there was a majority against the former mayor, James Palmer, in every district of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (even in East Cambridgeshire District Council of which Palmer was formerly leader) save for Fenland.

Edit: added more text
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 02:46:47 PM by TCD813 »
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.
There's all 'manor' of stuff on my Twitter A/c.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 513
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 09:43:05 PM »
It was 'Hobsons Choice' really, Palmer was not popular with his hair brained Metro, but neither of the opponents appeared right for the job either Now we have a doctor running the buses! Dont blame me I didnt vote. This post of Mayor needed someone with professional qualification in at least public transport operation.

Offline Barry

• Thank You
  • -Given: 170
  • -Receive: 246
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 07:53:05 PM »
It looks like, for whatever reason, a meaningful number of people voted for Police and Crime Commissioner and Mayor candidates with different political affiliations.  I wonder why that could have been... ;)

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 10:40:57 PM »
Looks like the Metro is a dead duck, the new Mayor Nik Johnson has said today he will not be pursuing it. Will be interesting to see what he does about bus services.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 07:07:55 AM »
Looks like the Metro is a dead duck, the new Mayor Nik Johnson has said today he will not be pursuing it. Will be interesting to see what he does about bus services.

Franchising, is what he's stated.
TCD813? The reg of a Southdown Motor Services, Northern Counties bodied, Leyland Titan PD3/4 FH39/30F (popularly dubbed 'Queen Mary') from the late 50s.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:21:29 AM »
It looks like, for whatever reason, a meaningful number of people voted for Police and Crime Commissioner and Mayor candidates with different political affiliations.  I wonder why that could have been... ;)
Problem now is the new Labour Mayor will face an uphill struggle working with/against a Conservative Government. The Mayors job should be a non political post with candidates hired through a normal job application process in accordance with the professional qualifications to do the job. I dont see that a doctor fulfills that criteria, or for that matter the other two failed candidates. Hence why I did not vote for any of them.

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 05:43:27 PM »
Problem now is the new Labour Mayor will face an uphill struggle working with/against a Conservative Government. The Mayors job should be a non political post with candidates hired through a normal job application process in accordance with the professional qualifications to do the job. I don't see that a doctor fulfils that criteria, or for that matter the other two failed candidates. Hence why I did not vote for any of them.

I can't really agree, John. The devolution deal under which the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority was established is rule-governed, so not open to too much interference by central government. It was established under a Conservative government, and involves District Councils which are under Conservative, Labour and LibDem control and Cambridgeshire County Council, which was under Conservative control until the latest elections. Under the agreement establishing the Combined Authority, Labour-controlled Cambridge City Council obtained – from a Conservative government – significant powers and funding to build council housing. The mayor has other powers relating to housing, but not to over-rule Cambridge city.

The deal to establish the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority established a directly-elected mayor. This is a political job to represent the local electorate and lead the authority in economic development of the region, not just transport. An appointed mayor, imposed by central government wouldn't have been seen as legitimate.

The people who need professional qualifications are the officers. The Bus Strategy Manager, Oliver Howarth, has those, and relevant experience, in spades. He has had senior positions in a municipal operator, and for a major group operator, as well as having run his own, independent, bus company.

There have been difficulties between the former mayor of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority and the Greater Cambridge Partnership. [Some details here, and here.] Whilst these bodies do overlap somewhat in responsibilities, the disputes were seen by many observers as an attempted 'power-grab' by Palmer. He appeared to want to absorb the Greater Cambridge Partnership into the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, but the Conservative central government didn't support this as both authorities were established under legal agreements, and government ministers made it clear they expected the two bodies to work together.

Back in 2013, the Greater Cambridge Partnership was established under a Conservative government, requiring collaboration between the University of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire County Council (then under Conservative control, now with no majority) South Cambridgeshire District Council (then under Conservative control, now LibDem-controlled) and Cambridge City Council. The collaboration continues, notwithstanding changes of political control.

I suspect that relationships between the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority and the Greater Cambridge Partnership run more smoothly under Mayor Johnson.

Offline John Wakefield

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 08:45:15 AM »
As always with politics, time and money are wasted arguing, so one must beg the question as to if the Mayor position was best for the county. 

Offline TCD813

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • Regards, Richard.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
As always with politics, time and money are wasted arguing, so one must beg the question as to if the Mayor position was best for the county.

Well, John, the current muddled plethora of public bodies is far from ideal.